Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
JackHarkness wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 8:16 am
what armor and spear are you guys talking about? I have been plying for a while and my spear hasn't changed from the start of the game. i have reached to the point where aloy finally gets some informaition about elizabeth and talks to the one who had been whispering into her focus through a hologram
Must be pretty far in the story before you see the spear.

I ventured last night into the northern part of the map and came across something I'm sure is part of the main story. It's a snow covered mountain with lots of old metal in the landscape like a huge battle took place. There's a hologram points that shows the construction of what looks like a huge metal bunker in the side of the mountain. You encounter a bunch of Ravagers and a few Watchers and when you get to the top of the mountain, there's a storm bird. Venture further and you come across this huge gaping hole in the mountain with pieces of metal hanging from it and at the very edge, what looks like another hole with sunshine coming through it. I'll climbed partway through to this but gave up since it was closing in on 1am and I couldn't get any further.

Also, upgraded my ropecaster with 2 rare handling upgrades and holy crap that thing reloads fast now!
May 9, 2007
777 posts
199 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 26th, 2017 5:50 pm
Looking forward to playing this after finishing Killzone Shadowfall. That game wasn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be and sort of sold me on the hype behind this game. I imagine this is a much better game with the time Guerrilla had to put into this compared to Killzone which did seem a bit rushed and struggling for ideas towards the end.
Horizon Zero Dawn is a top 3 game of the year. You're in for a serious treat!
JackHarkness wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 8:16 am
what armor and spear are you guys talking about? I have been plying for a while and my spear hasn't changed from the start of the game. i have reached to the point where aloy finally gets some informaition about elizabeth and talks to the one who had been whispering into her focus through a hologram
The spear upgrades come via story progression so they can't be missed. Honestly sometimes I just found it easier to go around bashing things with my spear. With upgrades it gets really powerful. As for the Shadow Weaver Ultimate Armor, you stumble across a cave very early on in the game with an armor locked behind some glass doors but you need to find powercells hidden throughout the game inorder to unlock it. You're basically unkillable with this thing. After the initial difficulty hump I found the game to be extremely easy. Not sure what Guerilla Games was thinking here. Thankfully it unlocks near the end of the game and you do have to work for it so it's not like it's given but still pretty ridiculous.

If you want to be a Pro gamer like me follow these tips:

-Unlock the Silent Strike skill early in the game.
-The best weapon in the game is the Shadow Hunter Bow with 3x fire mods. Just about everything can be set on fire and the Corrupted enemies are especially weak to fire.
-The second best weapon in the game is the Lodge War Bow with 3x freeze mods. Frozen enemies take double damage, Triple damage if the enemy is weak to freeze.
- The Thunderjaw is one of the toughest enemies in the game. You can shoot down the disc launcher on it's back with a tearblast and use it against it for serious damage! Also you can tearblast the protective armor on the side revealing it's core for extra damage!

Enjoy!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
3686 posts
310 upvotes
The bow can be slow. I use the sling shot with elemental attack. The best part of this game is there is many ways to skin the cat. When I was a wee young in took down a thunder jaw. I did not have good gear. I attacked with loads to tear blast arrows until got everything I could off of him. Hid and ran. Kept repeating the process. Then I did the same for shooting the heart. Hide waited for the right moment and shot. A single hit from the jaw nearly killed me so I had to be fast. I think it took two whole game days to kill it. Was awesome and hard. At this point I did not have any purples so it was nice reward.

I find freeze tends to do better for damage then fire unless you take down a canister with fire and they explode. There is a art to taking down each type and once you learn it becomes much easier.

I also think the silent amour is more game breaking then the protection armor. I can lure and kill a whole camp of men by crouching in bushes. I can sprint up to a herd and silent strike them all without even trying to sneak. Or just run up over ride then hide in bushes. Let the other creature do the work.
Last edited by Max_Dealing on Jul 27th, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5875 posts
743 upvotes
Grimsby
I really like putting a handling mod on slower weapons so that I can fire them without waiting. It's worth a slight offset in damage.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
I find I can take down a Thunderjaw pretty easily now.

1) Use ropecaster to tie down (I have the heavy one so it lasts longer)
2) Use tear arrows to dislodge disc cannons and armour plating, especially the under belly one protecting the chilled water canisters
3) Once all offensive hardware is removed, continue to tie down and use freeze arrows to break chilled water canisters and use hard arrows on the two weak points while it's frozen (840 hit points per direct hit while frozen)
4) Use disc cannons to finish off if necessary

I have yet to encounter a Deathbringer. I ran into two corrupted Rockbreakers and they were tough as nails. Haven't developed a strategy on them yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5875 posts
743 upvotes
Grimsby
The corrupted Rockbreakers have exhaust fans on their back but frankly they're just annoying as hell to hit. If you're talking about the corrupted zone, go sit up on the rocks in the middle so they can't do their underground melee attack. Then its just dodging the ranged stuff. I like to freeze them and then just plunk away. You can try to hit their arms and the exhaust fans but good luck, they're above ground for all of 2 seconds each time. Freeze and spam hardpoints is the best strat IMO, they go down pretty fast that way. Some people use the blast sling too.

If you wanna do it at ground level then you better bring a ton of healing items and prepare for some frustration.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 12:54 pm
The corrupted Rockbreakers have exhaust fans on their back but frankly they're just annoying as hell to hit. If you're talking about the corrupted zone, go sit up on the rocks in the middle so they can't do their underground melee attack. Then its just dodging the ranged stuff. I like to freeze them and then just plunk away. You can try to hit their arms and the exhaust fans but good luck, they're above ground for all of 2 seconds each time. Freeze and spam hardpoints is the best strat IMO, they go down pretty fast that way. Some people use the blast sling too.

If you wanna do it at ground level then you better bring a ton of healing items and prepare for some frustration.
I posted on the previous page but I got lucky AF winning that fight. There were Ravagers near by so I took one down and used it's cannon on one of the Rockbreakers. 75 rounds (on normal difficulty) will take a corrupted Rockbreaker down. For the second one, I hid behind the rock columns just next to the corrupted zone and kept using tear arrows to try and eliminate the burrowing ability. I used whatever I could to damage it. At about 1/3 health, a Behemoth and Longlegs showed up and tagged teamed the thing for me. Longlegs didn't survive but Behemoth did and had about 1/2 health left ... so I killed it and took the parts lol.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
Completed the last Cauldron in the SW corner last night. It was ... surprisingly easy this time.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2040 posts
564 upvotes
Edmonton
So I jumped back in and found the two remaining power cells that I needed. That armor is definitely waaaayyy OP. I'm glad I didn't get it until after I finished the game or it would have hurt my skillz.

After getting the armor I easily polished off the last 3 corrupted zones I had remaining.

After 40 hours of playtime I'm showing 59% complete and am at Level 42.

The blue spear upgrade is pretty much right at the end of the story if I remember correctly.
BluePhirePB wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 8:33 am
Completed the last Cauldron in the SW corner last night. It was ... surprisingly easy this time.
I was really surprised how easy this was too. It was nice to have a change of pace from the other cauldrons though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
Andrew765 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 1:23 pm
After 40 hours of playtime I'm showing 59% complete and am at Level 42.
I'm around that level and completion but 60 hrs!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
Over 67 hrs now. Completed all Cauldrons and Tallnecks. Doing a few more side missions before I hop back onto the main quest.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6558 posts
740 upvotes
I purchased the DLC expansion this weekend.

PS Plus users get a $5 discount (or so) for this week. Its stilla long time outtttt, but any discount is good, especially for a new "chapter" of the game with a new map and all that comes with it.

You guys should check the PS Store before the sales change again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7367 posts
739 upvotes
Victoria
Buggy166 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 1:07 pm
I purchased the DLC expansion this weekend.

PS Plus users get a $5 discount (or so) for this week. Its stilla long time outtttt, but any discount is good, especially for a new "chapter" of the game with a new map and all that comes with it.

You guys should check the PS Store before the sales change again.
I think it's on discount for PSN members up until it gets released (maybe even after). It's been on discount for weeks (Ever since it went on sale). It doesn't have an official release date yet so I was holding off in case it's after the next get $15 for spending $100 sale (which they seem to do 3 or 4 times a year). It's the perfect price to add on to a full price psn release and get the $15 free credit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6558 posts
740 upvotes
zod wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 6:22 pm
I think it's on discount for PSN members up until it gets released (maybe even after). It's been on discount for weeks (Ever since it went on sale). It doesn't have an official release date yet so I was holding off in case it's after the next get $15 for spending $100 sale (which they seem to do 3 or 4 times a year). It's the perfect price to add on to a full price psn release and get the $15 free credit.
im so backed up with games, there's zero chance im buying anything else. I cringed a bit when i preordered Battlefront 2, but im not passing on it regardless. Like Star Wars too much.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
5492 posts
1216 upvotes
70+ hrs now. Got back into the main story. Investigating Olin now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)