• Sep 4th, 2010 2:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1162 posts
197 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Horrible customer stories

There's a thread about horrible cashiers. So how about horrible customer stories? Please discuss.

-So this man brings a robe to me with no bar code, no UPC code, nothing on it. I proceed to call the department to bring another with the code or call me with the UPC code. He tells me that there's a whole rack of them right over there, so he offers to go get another. He comes back with a COMPLETELY different item and I tell him I can't scan that code for the item. He. Flips. Out. So I stand there, small asian kid, and let this huge guy yell at me in front of dozens of people. It didn't help that the department took FOREVER to come. I had to page 5 times until someone finally arrived. Having never dealt with customers before,this experience traumatized me. Turns out the people who stocked ALL the robes forgot to put barcodes on ALL the robes, and there were upwards of 20 of them. It was our fault, but still, is there really a need to SCREAM like a douche over a f*ing robe?

-Everytime someone buys underwear, I advise them that it's final sale. This lady freaks out and demands to know why she can't return underwear. Duhhh. She was like "how will I know it'll fit?" Um, know your size before you buy underwear? It's funny because the majority of people chuckle and say "I hope there's no returns on underwear, eww." She makes a complete ***** fit, then says the next time she shops for underwear, she'll open all the packages in the aisle to find the right fit before she buys it..."like everyone else does." What can I say to her? That's not allowed? God I hate people like her.

-I scrutinize coupons and will reject it if it's the wrong coupon. This lady brings in a coupon for "Alcon's Systane" and wants to buy Opti-Free...another Alcon product. I tell her that her coupon is only good for Systane. She points to the big Alcon logo and tells me it's for all Alcon products and I tell her no. Puts up a fight and demands to see supervisor.

-This lady was buying a pillow and she asked if there was a bag big enough for it. My friend said no, and the customer asked, "well then how am I supposed to bring it home?" The cashier was smiling and said, "It's you're responsibility to bring the items home." I had nobody in my line so I jsut watched her eyes BULGE OUT and a full-out catfight ensue, "EXCUSE ME? IM DOING YOU A FAVOUR BY BUYING PRODUCTS FROM YOUR STORE AND YOURE TELLING ME ITS MY RESPONBILITY TO GET THESE ITEMS OUT OF YOUR STORE? You're so f*ing stupid, learn how to f*ing talk to customers you stupid b*tch." The cashier was so perplexed because she was being so nice to the customer. Lol

-I'm a pretty fast cashier. Most people notice and appreciate my speed because they're usually in a hurry. This lady buys a CD and the price scanned wrong. She didn't notice until she left the store. She comes back and starts swearing at me for "scanning the price wrong" and called me a f*er. While it was our store's fault, there's no way I would have known the price was wrong by looking at the screen. -_-
296 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18196 posts
3316 upvotes
Thornhill
It's funny when a customer gets their receipt and takes a good long look at it, while in line and all the goods are ready to be bagged/boxed/taken.

:|
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
I've got a few stories...

-When I worked retail, a woman came in and wanted me to help her with air purifiers (Not my area), so I tried my best to help her with my limited knowledge. What she wanted to know, was which of them was the best. I told her the latest model number is probably the most recent and has the most features, but is the most expensive, so I would assume it is the best. She accepted this as fact, but then proceeded to tell me her dilemma. Apparently, she lived in a small apartment with only 1 power outlet, which already had everything plugged into it, and wanted to know if plugging this air purifier in would blow her fuse or not. I tell her I am not an electrician, and I have no idea, nor do I even know what all is plugged in. She then wants me to call the company's head office, long distance, for her, to ask this question. I tell her I am not authorized to do it. She argues with me (but is polite the whole time), and continues to ask, and I continue to tell her I can't. She asks me to open basically all the boxes of the different kinds, because she needs to see them out of the box to determine if it will fit in her apartment or not. I ended up spending 2 hours with her, and she didn't even buy anything.

-I am bringing in bikes from outside at the end of my shift, because we are closing. There is some guy standing right in the doorway, right in my way talking on the payphone. I maneuver around him, but with 1 of the bikes, the kickstand grazes his foot. I say quietly "Sorry" and keep going, as I didn't want to disturb him. On my way back (he is still on the phone), he begins to yell at me and swear, asking why I didn't apologize and who I think I am. I tell him I did apologize, but didn't want to interrupt him. Every time for about 10 minutes I walk by him, he continues to yell at me, and at one point threatens me, saying "Oh, so if I punch you in the back of the head and say "Sorry, it was an accident", then that is okay!?" at this point I go to my manager and tell him this guy is harrassing me and threatening me. My manager asks him to leave, and he throws a fit saying he'll never come back again. He storms out, and forgets his bag with all the stuff he had bought. 20 minutes later he comes back and apologizes to me, and asks for his stuff back. I give it to him and he leaves.
Feb 25, 2009
49 posts
4 upvotes
Man the stories I could tell.
I had the most akward experience once while training and older lady and her husband came through my till around Christmas time and thought the price of their ribbon came up the wrong price. I called for a price check and foudn out the the ribbon was coming up at the correct price and the customer was looking at a price tag for a completely different item (this happens all the time, customers please read the product description on the tag that is what they are there for). She then went on a racist rant for 10 minutes about how our company was owned by a certain ethnic group and that is the reason she was being "Screwed over". The cashier that I was training at the time was a member of this ethnic group and it was all I could do not to yell and start screaming about why people like her make me sick. The best part is that my store is owned by one of the richest families in Canada and they are as whitebread as they could possibly be.

Being someone who works in retail is a tough job. I firmly believe that everyone should have to work in a retail job at least once in their life to realize just how difficult it is. I am more then willing to help you out and be polite. This attitude ends when the customer is rude. I am a human being too and deserve to be treated as the customer would expect to be treated. Please do not whistle, snap, or yell at the top of your lungs 50 ft down an isle for my attention, I am not a dog or any other type of animal and I do not respond to these calls for attention. I understand that it is frustrating to come into a store and have difficulty communicating with the staff. We are a multicultural society and many of the people who work in retail are new to our country and have limited english. They are vital to a store. Without these people my store would not be able to run, there would be no products on the shelf and the lines at the cashiers would be longer. Coming to customer service and complaining in a rude and very bigoted way will only have you be looked upon poorly. Also please do not try to impress me with how much money you make in comparison with me or how much money you spend in my store. This will not make me treat you any differently then anyone else. Many of the people who work in retail are working their way through school (like myself, and I have completed my degree and still work their part time) or they are working for to support their family or even for just extra spending money. We do have a life outside of work and we do get breaks. If a customer is rude to a cashier or any customer service personnel, they should not expect to be treated well themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
62 upvotes
Ottawa
This one time, I got to witness one of the most annoying customers who frequented our store. I usually managed to avoid helping him, but this time, I got to witness someone help him. So this guy always comes in, he is middle eastern or Indian, and his English isn't very good. But he is also blind and needs help with getting things in the store. Now, some people have seen him outside the store, and believe it is all a ruse, and he is not actually blind, but we don't know for a fact. Anyway, he comes in, and always goes to the service desk and tries to flirt with the female cashiers there, always asking for their numbers, etc. They get someone to help him, who needs to pull his shopping cart to whatever he needs. They come into my section, and the guy is asking for orange juice. The guy gets him some. The guy then holds it and says "No, too big. I want smaller" so he gives him a smaller container. The guy holds it, and asks if it is made in Canada. We tell him that none of the orange juice is made in Canada, and he just pushes it to the guy and says "N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-o! Cancel! Cancel!" and waits for the guy to take it from him. He then asks for some other juice, like apple & banana or something. We tell him we have just apple, and he says he wants both. We tell him we don't have it, so he says he just wants apple juice. We give it to him, and he asks if it also has banana in it. We say no, and he just reaches out his hand and repeats the same process of yelling "N-n-n-n-n-n-n-o!" Then he asks for orange juice again, and wants to make sure it is Canadian. He keeps repeating this for around 20 minutes in my section, going back & forth, wanting something we don't have, we tell him we don't have it, then he wants something else, its too expensive, then he asks for the same thing he asked for initially. This guy would come through on a weekly basis, and always ended up buying like 4 huge packs of toilet paper and kleenex. Nobody ever wanted to deal with him.
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
angekfire wrote:
May 7th, 2009 4:05 pm
This one time, I got to witness one of the most annoying customers who frequented our store. I usually managed to avoid helping him, but this time, I got to witness someone help him. So this guy always comes in, he is middle eastern or Indian, and his English isn't very good. But he is also blind and needs help with getting things in the store. Now, some people have seen him outside the store, and believe it is all a ruse, and he is not actually blind, but we don't know for a fact. Anyway, he comes in, and always goes to the service desk and tries to flirt with the female cashiers there, always asking for their numbers, etc. They get someone to help him, who needs to pull his shopping cart to whatever he needs. They come into my section, and the guy is asking for orange juice. The guy gets him some. The guy then holds it and says "No, too big. I want smaller" so he gives him a smaller container. The guy holds it, and asks if it is made in Canada. We tell him that none of the orange juice is made in Canada, and he just pushes it to the guy and says "N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-o! Cancel! Cancel!" and waits for the guy to take it from him. He then asks for some other juice, like apple & banana or something. We tell him we have just apple, and he says he wants both. We tell him we don't have it, so he says he just wants apple juice. We give it to him, and he asks if it also has banana in it. We say no, and he just reaches out his hand and repeats the same process of yelling "N-n-n-n-n-n-n-o!" Then he asks for orange juice again, and wants to make sure it is Canadian. He keeps repeating this for around 20 minutes in my section, going back & forth, wanting something we don't have, we tell him we don't have it, then he wants something else, its too expensive, then he asks for the same thing he asked for initially. This guy would come through on a weekly basis, and always ended up buying like 4 huge packs of toilet paper and kleenex. Nobody ever wanted to deal with him.
What? This story almost sounds unbelieveable lol. Wow there are some crazy customers out there.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2009
2076 posts
23 upvotes
ok guys this one is short

I worked at some store as a cashier, this lady comes with a chocolate bar thats for $2.50 then shes like its the last one on the shelv, but it has dust on it can you give me a discount on it? am like what she goes i want a discount on it coz it has dust, my manager was beside me and said give her a 50c discount am like is this lady serious..so i kept on arguing am like look here lady, it says the expiration date is sep 2009 so its still got like 8 months...then she goes ur boss said to give me discount am like ok fine...

for friggin 50 cent and she drives a 2006 honda accord for god sakes...i got so pissed off.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2009
2076 posts
23 upvotes
another one

I worked at a dollar store for some time, and am not generalising, but i tell u that 90% of indians, they get like 10 things when the come to the cash they go i dont want this or this or that basically from the 10 items they end up buying like 3 things...and it happened with me almost every time I deal with indians....again am not generalising.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18679 posts
1094 upvotes
angekfire wrote:
It sounds like this guy should be in a special care home.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Feb 27, 2009
128 posts
13 upvotes
Keswick
I think I could on for days with this topic. But these are some of my favorites.

The first one happened a few years ago. A guy came in to the store and asked me if he could buy our aisles, shelves and all. I tried not to laugh and told him they weren't for sale. I told him who our supplier was but he didn't care. He wanted all the racking in our store, he said if it's in the store it's for sale. I told him no and he asked for the manager. When I told him I was he told me to f#@$ off, said he was going to call head office and left.

The second one happened about a month or two ago. The customer was wasn't rude or anything, but what he wanted was a bit too much. He wanted to buy our front doors. He didn't want to know who installed them, he just wanted to buy them. He was told no and he left.

Another one was just a week or so ago. Our power was out and had been for a few hours. One of the managers was outside telling the customers what was going on when this guys pushes his way past the other customers and starts to yell at the manager that it was illegal for us to not have a generator! He just looked at him, smiled, and said call the police.
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
This one is more of a general example, but I hate when i'm in the middle of a long line-up in a store, and a cashier opens up a new till, and the people at the back of the line RUN over to the new cashier. Shouldn't it be the next person waiting in the current line that gets to go to the new cashier, and not a free-for-all on whichever customer can get there the fastest???
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1172 posts
221 upvotes
Ottawa
angekfire wrote:
Wow, insane. This guy is very, very, very lucky that he shops at a store that has someone to spare for such a long time. I can tell you, at my store, he would have been left standing a customer service.
Aug 5, 2007
623 posts
89 upvotes
babydru wrote:
May 7th, 2009 5:25 pm
This one is more of a general example, but I hate when i'm in the middle of a long line-up in a store, and a cashier opens up a new till, and the people at the back of the line RUN over to the new cashier. Shouldn't it be the next person waiting in the current line that gets to go to the new cashier, and not a free-for-all on whichever customer can get there the fastest???
yeah the cashier at the new til should go to the next person in line who doesn't have their stuff on the belt and ask them if they want to go to the other register.
its happened to me before.. waiting in a long line.. a register opens, and the people behind me end up leaving wayy before me.
frustrating to say the least.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1162 posts
197 upvotes
Richmond Hill
babydru wrote:
May 7th, 2009 5:25 pm

It's policy, but it's almost impossible because people are like hawks and start lining up before you say anything.

If they ask you, "are you opening?" You can't say no. And by the time they're all lined up, it's too late to say "next in line".

Especially with the way the registers are set up at some places, it's best to just stay in the line you're in. Instead of backing up and saying "excuse me, excuse me, o oops, excuse me" and then lining up again.