• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2011 10:33 pm
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto

Horrible experience with TekSavvy

Here is the story. Long Read. TL;DR below

For the record, I was a TekSavvy customer well over a year ago but not for a long time since.

I signed up for the cable internet service 2 weeks ago. My current service with another provider is expiring today. Therefore I requested my activation/installation date to be by Tuesday of this week. I create my order online; everything seems to be fine (it asked for appointment times, I picked all 3 choices on the same day, different time slots). Get invoice and a notification that my modem has shipped, everything seems alright.

Not very happy that TSI requested my parcel to be held at the post office rather than being delivered to me (I did pay for shipping, mind you).

Anyways, I called Monday to make sure everything was okay for tomorrow. They tell me that
1) Wrong modem info was sent to Rogers
2) I should not have picked appointments all on the same day
This has royally pissed me off. They have made a mistake on their part about the modem and it is my fault that I picked appointments on the same day. There was NO warning on the site against picking appointments on the same day.

And why hasn’t anyone called me to inform me of the issue? If I didn’t call, then I would have come home to see jack-all was done.

After talking to the rep, we pick Saturday as the install date because of the 5 day in advance booking rule (which I am also pissed off at) and they assure me that they will try their best to get an earlier date. I ask when I will know if they get an earlier date. They ask me to call back 24-48 hours.

I call back 24 hours later and the rep tells me that they are still waiting on confirmation for the Saturday booking from Rogers; he has no idea about any earlier requests pending. I demand to speak to a manager because what I am hearing is total BS, they inform me that they are busy/unavailable (can’t remember). I demand that they give me a call back ASAP, they tell me that it would be 24-48 hours, I demand that they put a note in saying that 48 hours is unacceptable to me (is that really how long I need to wait to speak to an authority figure?), they better call within 24 hours. They put the note in.

24 hours go by. I don’t hear anything

At this point I get an invoice (in addition to the original one which included activation/modem/first month) for another month’s service! I checked my credit card online, and I don’t see this charge or the original one. I thought they cancelled those charges to fix the crap they caused above and would charge back properly when my service starts.

I get an automated call from Rogers in the morning indicating that Saturday’s booking is confirmed.

It has been almost exactly 48 hours. I still have not heard anything. This is pure and utter BS.

This is easily the worst level of customer service I have ever encountered thus far.

Here is the kicker

I get my credit card statements today from an issuer other than the card I inputted to charge. I open this statement and see that TSI has charged this card! I did not even enter this card in my information! I realize that this is the card I used when I was a customer of theirs previously. They still have my credit card info on file? They are complete bastards.

The problem with this is that this card has a balance transfer on it for nearly the full amount! (This is RFD; you know which card this is) I check online and see that the second invoice I got has also been charged to this account! I only have roughly $10 of a limit left on it now. I have a feeling they are going to charge something stupid to it again.

I NEVER use this card for purchases because of the balance transfer; I keep it in a safe for this reason.

This has totally screwed me over because even if they reverse the charge, the payment will be applied to the interest and not the purchase itself!

I call them to find out why they charged to a card which I did not authorize and why it is on file while I was no longer a customer. They tried to explain to me that it is a good thing that they keep credit card info on file in case the customer returns. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard (I am going to look into if there are any legal repercussions for this, please advise if you know something about this). They do not understand what this has caused. I now basically have to pay my entire balance on my card immediately otherwise my credit rating goes down the drain. I demand to speak to a manager and I am told that no one is around (where have I heard this before), this is unbelievable. This is not a convenience store, this company is a service provider, how can they not have a manager around? Apparently a manager will call me on Tuesday. They offer to refund the charges and charge to another card instead and then the line cuts off. No one calls me back.

I can’t even tell you how pissed off I am….

Everyone seems to love TekSavvy here but the truth is that they are just a business. They have incompetent employees, absent managers, charge multiple times for services they have not provided, take no responsibility for their mistakes, and they keep your credit card info on file long after you leave as a customer. Business will always screw over their customers.

That’s what I have to say. Any advice or comments?

TL;DR
Didn’t hear that there were any issues with my order. I call one day prior to the installation, they give me excuses that my installation will not happen on said day. They promise to try getting another appointment but don’t have any recollection of it. They give me an appointment a day after my current service expires. All this time I have never received a call back from them.
They charge a card that I did not authorize as my previous credit card info as a customer was on file (when I was a previous customer). This card has a balance transfer and has screwed things up for me.
The people at TekSavvy are mofos. Simple as that
71 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
[QUOTE]
This has royally pissed me off.
(which I am also pissed off at)
I demand to speak to a manager because what I am hearing is total BS
I demand that they put a note in saying that 48 hours is unacceptable to me
This is pure and utter BS.
They are complete bastards.
I demand to speak to a manager
I can’t even tell you how pissed off I am….
The people at TekSavvy are mofos. Simple as that[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you really know how to talk to customer service to get what you want.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
tim-x wrote: Sounds like you really know how to talk to customer service to get what you want.

So I should have gone like:
Please never call me to inform me there is a problem
Please take as much time as you like and never do what you promised
Please keep my credit card info on file for as long as you like
Please charge to a card that I did not authorize
Please build a website that does not update information where required

Should I keep going on?

Do you honestly think I am at fault for being angry about all the crap they have done?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
that's the thing about ordering from third party, when they miscommunicate with Rogers, things fked up and leads to more delays since your order will to re-queued to Rogers. However, when things do setup and running, no problem watsoever. I don't believe in customer service over phone, it's ********, once in a while you get an angry employee over the phone and ask you stupid questions.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
Now take your scenario, element0, and flip it inside out.

I couldnt be happier with my TekSavvy experience.

Called 4 weeks ago, ordered, set a date to cancel with rogers on the 21st, ordered TSI for the 21st. At around 8pm, i plugged my TSI modem in and voila, instant connection. All good :)
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5438 posts
80 upvotes
Sydney
You can wait for internet access. It's your own fault for doing the balance transfer. Credit cards should not be used irresponsibly. The company may have screwed up, but ultimately, it's your responsibility to spend wisely.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Akraz wrote: Now take your scenario, element0, and flip it inside out.

I couldnt be happier with my TekSavvy experience.

Called 4 weeks ago, ordered, set a date to cancel with rogers on the 21st, ordered TSI for the 21st. At around 8pm, i plugged my TSI modem in and voila, instant connection. All good :)

This is what I was expecting but look what I got in return...
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
ItemFinder wrote: You can wait for internet access. It's your own fault for doing the balance transfer. Credit cards should not be used irresponsibly. The company may have screwed up, but ultimately, it's your responsibility to spend wisely.

The company may have screwed up? Are you out of your f*n mind?

how do you know that I am irresponsible? You dont know me. and you clearly did not read my entire post.

Would you like me to charge a credit card that you did not authorize and then be called irresponsible?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1319 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
element0 wrote: The company may have screwed up? Are you out of your f*n mind?

how do you know that I am irresponsible? You dont know me. and you clearly did not read my entire post.

Would you like me to charge a credit card that you did not authorize and then be called irresponsible?

Well, doesn't the OP's bad experience with Teksavvy fall into the category: "you get what you paid for" ?

I'm with Bell DSL, and I know that I am paying more than Teksavvy would charge me, but I am hesitant to switch to anybody else, bacause I know that if anything happens with my line (and it did 3 times in the past 3 years: lines cut by the street crews, etc.) they fixed it withing 4-6 hours.

And before u blast me for saying the above, NO, I am not a Bell employee/stockholder and have no association with them, other than being their customer for 40 years.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
oldpro wrote: Well, doesn't the OP's bad experience with Teksavvy fall into the category: "you get what you paid for" ?

I'm with Bell DSL, and I know that I am paying more than Teksavvy would charge me, but I am hesitant to switch to anybody else, bacause I know that if anything happens with my line (and it did 3 times in the past 3 years: lines cut by the street crews, etc.) they fixed it withing 4-6 hours.

And before u blast me for saying the above, NO, I am not a Bell employee/stockholder and have no association with them, other than being their customer for 40 years.

i guess you are right to an extent. But the cost of the service is very similar on a monthly basis if you take into account the activation and modem charges

it is only the bandwidth thats better with tsi
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1584 posts
77 upvotes
I recently joined with Teksavvy and overall the experience was ok. I had initially scheduled installation for July 26, but then called back the next day to change it to August 1st. They said it shouldn't be a problem but I got an email confirmation saying that my installation was scheduled for July 26. When I called back to confirm they said that it has to be on the 26th.

Other than that it's been pretty painless.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3917 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
oldpro wrote: Well, doesn't the OP's bad experience with Teksavvy fall into the category: "you get what you paid for" ?

It's the old (too afraid to try anything new) people that keep bell in business. My tek modem took two days to arrive my service turned on 4hrs early, I have not looked back since. Sorry but $41 a month for 300gb cap and rock solid service keeps me away from bell & rogers.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
I think I am going to dispute the charge tuesday morning. It is the only way that the interest will be returned on my credit card.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
element0 wrote: So I should have gone like:
Please never call me to inform me there is a problem
Please take as much time as you like and never do what you promised
Please keep my credit card info on file for as long as you like
Please charge to a card that I did not authorize
Please build a website that does not update information where required

Should I keep going on?

Do you honestly think I am at fault for being angry about all the crap they have done?

You clearly aren't at fault for mistakes made on their end. It's obvious though that you definitely didn't help your situation. I'll give you a perfect example.

Yesterday I was on the phone with Teksavvy getting everything setup for my move. I was also switching from dsl to cable Internet. I spent about 15 minutes going through all kinds of information when the rep said "oh wow... Our entire system just crashed. I just lost all the info and we'll have to start all over again later when our systems come back up." It was annoying to say the least but I told him no problem, these things happen and I'll be available later to do it. I received a phone call less than 10 minutes later from the rep who said he'd imported as much data as he could remember as to not inconvenience me and just needed to verify it and collect some little bits he couldn't remember. I was thanked for my patience and given perks for the inconvenience.

This is not to say that had you been more polite that you would have been rewarded but it's obvious from your post that you pretty much flew off the handle right from the start. When it comes to activation Teksavvy is very much at the mercy of Rogers or bell whodictate when they will or won't come out to setup or fix a line.

Perhaps I've just been extremely lucky but I've always managed to get amazing deals or perks with csr from Rogers, Telus, Teksavvy, Mazda, Sony and Apple etc merely by calling in and speaking politely to people with a bit of persuasion :) I dropped my iPhone 4 and the screen cracked. I took it to an apple store expecting to pay hundreds to get it fixed. I was chatting with the csr at te store, was truthful about what happened and he came out with a brand new iPhone at no charge. I was shocked but happy to day the least.

Remember that these are people that you're talking to on the phone or speaking to across the counter. If yotreat them like **** you'll likely get it back.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2010
1319 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
edgedamage wrote: It's the old (too afraid to try anything new) people that keep bell in business.

actually, u'r correct. But i'm still only 75 years young - how dare u call me "old" :cheesygri

cheers ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
164 upvotes
edgedamage wrote: It's the old (too afraid to try anything new) people that keep bell in business. My tek modem took two days to arrive my service turned on 4hrs early, I have not looked back since. Sorry but $41 a month for 300gb cap and rock solid service keeps me away from bell & rogers.

I'm not old, I'm just $19 years old & I still with Bell Internet for 10 years

Cheers. :D :D :D :D
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
126 upvotes
Chatham
I feel what the OP has been thro. I recommended Teksavvy to a family member and they went thro the same BS. I've been Teksavvy customer for some years now.

The ppl who vouches for Teksavvy blindly are ridiculous. Just because you had a good experience with them so far, doesnt mean you can jump in and point fingers blindly. Go read on DSLreports, their customer service has gone down the drain.

In short, my family member called to order the service (switch from Rogers) 3 weeks ahead of time, but had to wait 2 more weeks for the whole activation process to be done. No one called them to rearrange the appointment, they had to call back everytime. And each time, the rep was clueless. They didnt get any confirmation. The waiting time is ridiculously high (more than 30 mins), and the call back feature does not work.

I will never recommend Teksavvy again. They had lots of time to deal with the issue since they rolled out cable. They kept expanding the service area yet, they dont upgrade their CSR.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3416 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
their "internet service" in general is pretty good.

but their customer service side, is lacking sometimes. i'm not talking about rude staff, but their back-end system and policies.

i had problem with their initial installation and i kinda knew it was my modem not being provisioned, but i had to go through several reps over several days before they would open a ticket to rogers for me.

also their billing system is a very manual process. i still don't understand why when i switched from DSL to Cable, that I had to create an entirely different account and was practically charged for cable right away (before my installation date). then i had to call back to cancel my DSL, after the Cable installation, to have whatever remaining balance transferred over.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
tim-x wrote: You clearly aren't at fault for mistakes made on their end. It's obvious though that you definitely didn't help your situation. I'll give you a perfect example.

Yesterday I was on the phone with Teksavvy getting everything setup for my move. I was also switching from dsl to cable Internet. I spent about 15 minutes going through all kinds of information when the rep said "oh wow... Our entire system just crashed. I just lost all the info and we'll have to start all over again later when our systems come back up." It was annoying to say the least but I told him no problem, these things happen and I'll be available later to do it. I received a phone call less than 10 minutes later from the rep who said he'd imported as much data as he could remember as to not inconvenience me and just needed to verify it and collect some little bits he couldn't remember. I was thanked for my patience and given perks for the inconvenience.

This is not to say that had you been more polite that you would have been rewarded but it's obvious from your post that you pretty much flew off the handle right from the start. When it comes to activation Teksavvy is very much at the mercy of Rogers or bell whodictate when they will or won't come out to setup or fix a line.

Perhaps I've just been extremely lucky but I've always managed to get amazing deals or perks with csr from Rogers, Telus, Teksavvy, Mazda, Sony and Apple etc merely by calling in and speaking politely to people with a bit of persuasion :) I dropped my iPhone 4 and the screen cracked. I took it to an apple store expecting to pay hundreds to get it fixed. I was chatting with the csr at te store, was truthful about what happened and he came out with a brand new iPhone at no charge. I was shocked but happy to day the least.

Remember that these are people that you're talking to on the phone or speaking to across the counter. If yotreat them like **** you'll likely get it back.

I have no idea what you believe, but I believe that if I give my money in exchange for services and I do not receive the said services or receive a courtesy call informing me of the delay or situation then I have every right to be down right pissed off.

I understand perfectly well about being polite and have managed to get several perks for my cellphone and other services.

While your situation was resolved in roughly 30 mins, I have waited two weeks and have never heard anything from TSI.

This case is different, I have never treated the reps like **** I basically told them "excuse me, you are not understanding my situation nor have any authority to resolve it, I demmand to speak to a manager". They have a job, and they have their limitations of what they can and cant do. If they cant understand the situation or cant resolve it, they need to escalate it.

PS I have worked in customer service in the past and know how to follow protocol. In my experience with TSI, they do not seem to know this.
Oct 15, 2010
384 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Kinki wrote: their "internet service" in general is pretty good.

but their customer service side, is lacking sometimes. i'm not talking about rude staff, but their back-end system and policies.

i had problem with their initial installation and i kinda knew it was my modem not being provisioned, but i had to go through several reps over several days before they would open a ticket to rogers for me.

also their billing system is a very manual process. i still don't understand why when i switched from DSL to Cable, that I had to create an entirely different account and was practically charged for cable right away (before my installation date). then i had to call back to cancel my DSL, after the Cable installation, to have whatever remaining balance transferred over.

They seemed to have changed their billing system because I have the same account# as I had before when I had DSL and this is the reason my old credit card has been charged.

Can someone please advise me about the credit card situation?

PS
My cable service is now online. Rogers came just after 8 to set it up, I had to wait 30 mins for the signal to come through because the technician said that TSI takes some time for the service to come through.
But the ethernet cable they sent with the modem was bad! I wasted an hour trying to figure out that whenever I connected my laptop directly to my modem, the internet was fine and whenever I connected my router packets kept being dropped. I used three different routers and same result. Finally I used the laptop cable for the router-modem connection and everything was fine. This officially becomes the first time that I have seen a cable which does not have any physical damage not work. Upon further inspection it appears it was not crimped properly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)