• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 4:32 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes

Horrible experience with UPS brokerage charge for nothing

Hi great shoppers,
I purchase $190 staff online from USA. I did not mention the shipping. The seller just picked up UPS $25 shipping fee and sent me invoice. I thought it is a final deal. But when the parcel delivered on my door, UPS want to charge me more than 100 fees. I immediately refused and asked to return back. The seller refund me the product fee and the $25 UPS shipping fee. But UPS still send me a bill of $102.54 for brokerage fee. Legally, I have no relationship with UPS. It is the seller to select the UPS to deliver, why UPS now is charging me! I am just feel wired. I think this is totally wrong. Can any one help me to understand this wild business practice of UPS? I will never choose UPS to do any business but how can I avoid to pay UPS this time!

The billed to Address is my wife's.

The name is mine combined with my wife's. My first name_last name+my wife's first name, no space wrong last name. But my wife's last name spelled wrong. It is legal to refuse to pay UPS?
Thank you!
35 replies
Sep 28, 2017
279 posts
169 upvotes
lol what ? why give any info about your name... that has nothing to do with your issue. just call UPS and talk to them. nobody on here can help you with your issue. we can't force UPS to cancel or revert the charges to the seller.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11117 posts
2579 upvotes
GTA
I think OP is concerned about the bill going to collections and possibly affecting credit ratings, therefore the name is an issue.

Call UPS and say that you refused the package, no money should be owed.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15253 posts
5513 upvotes
UPS paid fees and incurred costs to clear the package for you, a package you ordered. This is your responsibility to pay and you should not have sent the package back, but rather paid the fees and learned your lesson for next time. I can see the outrage if it's a package you did not order...but clearly it was.

Your seller was very, very nice to you if they refunded your shipping fee too.
Jan 12, 2017
848 posts
568 upvotes
Maple Ridge
First time buying from US?
You are horribly uninformed.
You are importing goods from US, you are subject to import duty tax and brokege fee.
It's your responsibility to pay, not seller, not UPS.

Seller should not have given you refund, at least not on shipping cost.

As to why UPS still charging you? Probably because they still had to clear the custom to get the item to your door, even though you refused it.

How much did seller mark down as value of item?
$100 for brokege fee alone on $200 item, doesn't sound right

https://discsunlimited.net/ups-brokerage-fees
Last edited by Dreamrider on Jun 23rd, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3766 posts
2778 upvotes
Do your research before you import a product next time.

Techincally you owe whatever they say you owe... In fact it's not even UPS that you owe the monies to... It's customs.

You should not have refused the package... Should have accepted it, then contact seller to complain, see if they could help you out... Now you have no product, seller is out the shipping fees and you're still on hook for the duties.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5073 posts
334 upvotes
frankpeng wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 9:10 pm
Hi great shoppers,
I purchase $190 staff online from USA. I did not mention the shipping. The seller just picked up UPS $25 shipping fee and sent me invoice. I thought it is a final deal. But when the parcel delivered on my door, UPS want to charge me more than 100 fees. I immediately refused and asked to return back. The seller refund me the product fee and the $25 UPS shipping fee. But UPS still send me a bill of $102.54 for brokerage fee. Legally, I have no relationship with UPS. It is the seller to select the UPS to deliver, why UPS now is charging me! I am just feel wired. I think this is totally wrong. Can any one help me to understand this wild business practice of UPS? I will never choose UPS to do any business but how can I avoid to pay UPS this time!

The billed to Address is my wife's.

The name is mine combined with my wife's. My first name_last name+my wife's first name, no space wrong last name. But my wife's last name spelled wrong. It is legal to refuse to pay UPS?
Thank you!
Well I'm pretty sure that if you refuse delivery, then there is no import fee as you did not get any product and therefore no tax. UPS may have cleared it, but they will not have to pay it as no product was imported.

I would call UPS to clear it up as they may just send it to collections and you will get harassing calls.

Secondly, $103 in fees for $200 of stuff is too high anyways (unless it's something that was a huge tariff) . I would have refused as well .
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1281 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Here's what I found (And the usual disclaimer: I am no lawyer :D).

I think it depends on whether there was consent for UPS to act as your broker when your seller used UPS to ship. There was some class action suit in Ontario regarding that. The short version of the story is that if you refuse delivery and you didn't consent to UPS to be your broker, you shouldn't have to pay it. There was some fine print somewhere that if you sign for it, then you implicitly agree to it. UPS tried to appeal a couple times and the appeal got rejected every time. It is surprising that the supreme court also denied their appeal, yet they still pull this same kind of bull****.

If they performed the service without your consent, it would be considered unsolicited services. You can't possibly be forced to pay for something you didn't agree to. But again, they might have sneaky ways to say you implicitly agreed to it somewhere.

But ever since that decision, they probably lawyered up to update the fine prints and stuff like that, so I dunno how it goes now.

https://www.siskinds.com/ups/
http://business.financialpost.com/legal ... ction-case

I say fight it, and I wish you luck in fighting it.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM Storm Trooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Mar 3, 2018
595 posts
358 upvotes
GTA
The reason these fees are ridiculous is UPS and Federal Express both charge a hefty brokerage fee on top for themselves. That is after HST, duties and your original shipping charge. I never order anything from the USA unless delivered by the post office.
Dec 16, 2009
542 posts
116 upvotes
Durham
OP’s analogies are hilarious, reads like some of the instructions that come with items ordered from Banggood or DealExtreme.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1478 posts
780 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
LKane1 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 7:50 pm
Here's what I found (And the usual disclaimer: I am no lawyer :D).

I think it depends on whether there was consent for UPS to act as your broker when your seller used UPS to ship. There was some class action suit in Ontario regarding that. The short version of the story is that if you refuse delivery and you didn't consent to UPS to be your broker, you shouldn't have to pay it. There was some fine print somewhere that if you sign for it, then you implicitly agree to it. UPS tried to appeal a couple times and the appeal got rejected every time. It is surprising that the supreme court also denied their appeal, yet they still pull this same kind of bull****.

If they performed the service without your consent, it would be considered unsolicited services. You can't possibly be forced to pay for something you didn't agree to. But again, they might have sneaky ways to say you implicitly agreed to it somewhere.

But ever since that decision, they probably lawyered up to update the fine prints and stuff like that, so I dunno how it goes now.

https://www.siskinds.com/ups/
http://business.financialpost.com/legal ... ction-case

I say fight it, and I wish you luck in fighting it.
To clarify your information: This action has not yet been settled in court. What was settled is that the matter can now go to court as a Class Action, UPS had to this point only tried to block the certification of the suit as a Class Action. Additionally this is only for the residents of Ontario, however the ultimate result may or should have a bearing on other provinces, depending on the specific provisions of the respective Consumer Protection Acts.
That said, we have no idea where the OP is located. We have no idea what the OP ordered, which would have a bearing on what exactly should be the Duty and taxes.

OP do yourself a favour, if you want our advice, and tell us exactly what was ordered. As to Duty and Taxes we all pay to protect our domestic industries, suck it up. As for the actual brokerage fees, let us know the break down. Do not expect any new help in your case help unless you have reviewed the other like threads which do answer a lot of your concerns.

faq-about-cross-border-shopping-cbsa-514565/
how-save-14-95-dhl-fees-self-clearing-packages-2076527/
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23465 posts
3763 upvotes
I'm most amazed that people are just finding out about stuff like UPS brokerage fees, today in 2018 when all this information is out there and readily available on the 'net. I can get how this could be shocking in the 90s (I remember having friends who unknowingly got hit with such fees and myself getting hit with a not-as-hefty FedEx fee) but today? It's kind of like coming on here and posting about how you just found out about this awesome thing where you can browse the internet and make phone calls and sent text messages all in a tiny thing that fits in your pocket--they call it a "smartphone"! :lol:

Also I'm amazed there are people that use a term like "return back" :rolleyes: I used to work somewhere and for some unknown reason most people that worked there would say crap like that despite me being so greatly annoyed by it...needless to say that was the worst job I ever had.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7003 posts
4517 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 10:14 am
I'm most amazed that people are just finding out about stuff like UPS brokerage fees, today in 2018 when all this information is out there and readily available on the 'net. I can get how this could be shocking in the 90s (I remember having friends who unknowingly got hit with such fees and myself getting hit with a not-as-hefty FedEx fee) but today? It's kind of like coming on here and posting about how you just found out about this awesome thing where you can browse the internet and make phone calls and sent text messages all in a tiny thing that fits in your pocket--they call it a "smartphone"! :lol:

Also I'm amazed there are people that use a term like "return back" :rolleyes: I used to work somewhere and for some unknown reason most people that worked there would say crap like that despite me being so greatly annoyed by it...needless to say that was the worst job I ever had.
News Flash...

Not everyone was around in the 1990s, let alone online shopping from the USA then :rolleyes:
People come to the online shopping world every.single.day as that market share grows

And so the newcomers find out about things like Customs, Duties, Brokerage Fees the same way that it has always been... mostly thru trial & ERROR (as you yourself did, back then as an online shopping newbie)

And hence they end up here on RFD asking questions... I mean seriously someone seems to post here every.single.day with such a Question, or if not WHY... then WHY NOT / HOW CAN I avoid them

And secondly, I think it is pretty clear from reading the OP’s message that English is not necessarily their first language.
So to them... return back ... made total sense

Your post is sad... as it clearly makes fun of others who may not know any better / come up against something totally new to them
Mocking people, is well, not nice
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23465 posts
3763 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 10:35 am
News Flash...

Not everyone was around in the 1990s, let alone online shopping from the USA then :rolleyes:
So then they should be even less surprised then, no? If they weren't around then when people legitimately didn't know about it and only had word-of-mouth to go on and not online forums like this as well as everything else on the intarwebs, ignorance really should be bliss in this case. Should be saying, "Getting hit with brokerage? Man those days must have been tough for you guys!" instead of pretending like this is something new and unheard of.
PointsHubby wrote:
And secondly, I think it is pretty clear from reading the OP’s message that English is not necessarily their first language.
So to them... return back ... made total sense
Seems like it would make no sense in any language?
PointsHubby wrote:
Your post is sad... as it clearly makes fun of others who may not know any better / come up against something totally new to them
And well, that’s not nice
It's sad and not nice. Gotcha. However it still stands as me being surprised someone is shocked by UPS brokerage in this day and age...and also serves as a reminder for people to avoid saying nonsense like "return back". You either asked them to return it or to send it back, not to "return it back".

Not sure how that's not nice. Not nice would have been asking OP why he bought a $190 US staff (wizardry, cosplay perhaps?) or why he felt wired after this experience, but I just left that alone. I didn't even touch on the intercourse and prostitution stuff (???) either which was way out in left field from OP :lol: Needless to say this thread has become pretty funny reading the rest of OP's replies.

End of the day just ignore UPS requests for money. If it's not that much it will go to collections or some such and then you just ignore that and it'll hit your credit for a while and then be long forgotten in a few years.

A few lessons to be learned here:
-Do your research before online shopping--there's tons of info out there on this stuff and it's really easy to find, even right here on RFD.
-Don't say "return back".
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4627 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
frankpeng wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 7:02 am
I do not want to talk to UPS because I do not agree any legal relationship with UPS. I did not purchase any product and service from UPS. WHY SHOULD I CALL UPS?
Because UPS sent you an invoice that you don't agree with.

As to the comments that everyone should know by now that UPS charges brokerage fees - I spoke to a seller just yesterday and they had no clue about the UPS brokerage fees for items coming into Canada. They ship UPS because they have a UPS account, UPS picks their shipments up and UPS tends to be the least expensive for them when shipping within the US. They don't have the time or manpower to stand in line at the postoffice - and to top it of, some US post offices don't even accept packages that are shipped out of the country.
Hard to believe but true - I have never found a Canadian postal outlet, no matter how small, where they would not accept a parcel destined for outside of Canada.