Shopping Discussion

Horrible experience with UPS brokerage charge for nothing

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 4:32 pm
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2699 posts
149 upvotes
Mississauga
wait !!!!

NEWS FLASH JUST IN !

Fedex and UPS have agreed to consolidating their operations for increased efficiency ~

The New company name ?........... FED UP !

Image
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 21, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you! I really do not know English and the international business between US and Canada. Purchased quite a bit online from US. I really worried to buy American chicken implying sex with Ivenca. Now I attach the invoice I agreed. I really cannot find any commitment to UPS. Instead, read the bottom return policy, the seller agreed a fully refund but actually they broke the agreement to take a small amout money when they refunding which is not I am fighting for. The Uncalled UPS charge 102.54 is the amount. It is unbelievable that this brutal capitalism still exist in the greatest nation in the world. Is this the trade war between US and Canada?
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12517 posts
8687 upvotes
Richmond Hill
frankpeng wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 2:23 pm
Thank you! I really do not know English and the international business between US and Canada. Purchased quite a bit online from US. I really worried to buy American chicken implying sex with Ivenca. Now I attach the invoice I agreed. I really cannot find any commitment to UPS. Instead, read the bottom return policy, the seller agreed a fully refund but actually they broke the agreement to take a small amout money when they refunding which is not I am fighting for. The Uncalled UPS charge 102.54 is the amount. It is unbelievable that this brutal capitalism still exist in the greatest nation in the world. Is this the trade war between US and Canada?
Fight it!
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 21, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
This is the invoice I agreed. Please help me find out any commitment I meant to UPS except my seller chosen UPS to ship it to me.
Last edited by frankpeng on Jun 24th, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal information
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 15, 2006
119 posts
12 upvotes
WallyWorld
frankpeng wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 2:36 pm
This is the invoice I agreed. Please help me find out any commitment I meant to UPS except my seller chosen UPS to ship it to me.
That is your product invoice. At least we now know what you purchased and the exact amount you paid.
You may be upset with the UPS charges, but let's take a look and try to break down the information.

Some assumptions wil be made:

You say you purchased these items for $195.00 +$25.00= $220.00 USD Funds which works out to approx. $292.35 CDN

I'm also going to assume that you live in Ontario for tax purposes. (13% HST)

UPS is billing you $102.54

According to this site https://discsunlimited.net/ups-brokerage-fees , UPS brokerage fees will be $42.95.

So based on the above,
$38.00 HST
$42.95 UPS Brokerage Fee
$21.59 Duties (works out to approx 7.4% value of $292.35)

$102.54 Total.

This should be similar to the Invoice you received from UPS.
What exactly is on your UPS invoice that you think is out of line?
Member
Oct 9, 2011
362 posts
99 upvotes
LazyDog wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 3:20 pm
This should be similar to the Invoice you received from UPS.
What exactly is on your UPS invoice that you think is out of line?
OP think UPS is out of line because he did not agree (and did not know he has) to pay customs and duty when he made the purchase...

OP, no one can solve your problem for you here. Your best bet is to call UPS and talk to them nicely (please do not use your poor comparison...) and ask for a solution. If the package is returned, they should be able to waive the customs and duties but they might still charge you the admin fee. You are probably going to say it's outrageous, you did not agree, but unfortunately, the fee is on you, not the seller. If the shop already gave you a full refund including shipping fee, they don't owe you anything.

Some RFDer will tell you to ignore the invoice.... but it's up to you what you want to do, call them and actually try to find a solution or...
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12371 posts
2905 upvotes
RFD
OP wished he never made this thread, getting downvoted to the nth degree. Still your responsibility once it crosses the border. Should have done your homework, UPS is very expensive with duties. USPS would have been best.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 21, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
I made the purchase with the amount I agreed. I refuse any deal I even do not know. UPS even don't know my billing address and my name. We will see this robbery outcomes.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5314 posts
817 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
LazyDog wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 3:20 pm
That is your product invoice. At least we now know what you purchased and the exact amount you paid.
You may be upset with the UPS charges, but let's take a look and try to break down the information.

Some assumptions wil be made:

You say you purchased these items for $195.00 +$25.00= $220.00 USD Funds which works out to approx. $292.35 CDN

I'm also going to assume that you live in Ontario for tax purposes. (13% HST)

UPS is billing you $102.54

According to this site https://discsunlimited.net/ups-brokerage-fees , UPS brokerage fees will be $42.95.

So based on the above,
$38.00 HST
$42.95 UPS Brokerage Fee
$21.59 Duties (works out to approx 7.4% value of $292.35)

$102.54 Total.

This should be similar to the Invoice you received from UPS.
What exactly is on your UPS invoice that you think is out of line?
Well, theoretically there should be a refund for at least the HST and the duty
.....assuming the $21.59 was actually duty
Because if you look at that item from the same company on amazon, it says "Made in the USA" - therefore I would think there is no duty because of NAFTA
https://www.amazon.com/probe-stylus-str ... B01M8NV8A7

In general, I think this is an interesting case/discussion.
What happens if UPS delivers a package from the US that is obviously physically damaged?
I would not accept that and I sure wouldn't expect UPS to charge me anything for that.

(I realize this is not the case here, but if the UPS package was damaged - what then, anyone ever have to deal with that?)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5314 posts
817 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
BTW - I just went through the order process for this item on amazon.com (not that I'm suggested the OP ordered that way), got to the end where the bext step is to confirm the order, but even at that point there is absolutely no indication, and certainly no choice, as to who the shipper would be.
Newbie
Oct 12, 2017
52 posts
21 upvotes
krs wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 10:19 pm
Because if you look at that item from the same company on amazon, it says "Made in the USA" - therefore I would think there is no duty because of NAFTA
https://www.amazon.com/probe-stylus-str ... B01M8NV8A7
Not that well verse with the NAFTA provisions, but I think even if the item is duty-free it's, there's still the sales tax. I think NAFTA just covers tariffs/duties.
krs wrote:
Jun 24th, 2018 10:19 pm
What happens if UPS delivers a package from the US that is obviously physically damaged?
I would not accept that and I sure wouldn't expect UPS to charge me anything for that.
You can submit a form to CBSA for refund for certain conditions such as damaged items: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 6-eng.html. Now with regards to couriers, not sure how they'll handle that. Theoretically, when you receive the item and just found out afterwards that the item is damaged, it's now your responsibility. So you'll handle refund process. Not sure, but as per the link mentioned (check the appendix), if the seller refunded you the full amount for the package, it's possible to refund the full duties/taxes paid, otherwise I would assume the adjusted duties/taxes will be based on the remaining item value (after deducting the refund). As for the courier specific fees, not sure if you can ever recover that.

As for outright declining delivery (or return to sender), just like in this case, the said condition is also covered by the said memorandum. Not sure how it will exactly work, but theoretically, the courier should be able to do the refund themselves. To do the refund, as per the said memorandum, a document indicating that an item refund has been made for the returned item as well as proof of return delivery are needed. So the courier might need document from the buyer that an item refund has been made.

So I think OP should review these guidelines, as I think it can be used so the courier will drop the fees they want to collect (that's assuming there are also no issues with the return process with the seller).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5314 posts
817 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
pafy6285 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 2:16 am
Not that well verse with the NAFTA provisions, but I think even if the item is duty-free it's, there's still the sales tax. I think NAFTA just covers tariffs/duties.
NAFTA definitely just covers duty....that's what I wrote,,,,sales tax is a totally separate item.
But we are just guessing what makes up that $102 invoice fron UPS.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 28, 2007
2799 posts
747 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
These "horrible experience" posts usually resolve to a similar rational explanation, thanks to RFD members.

OP referred to all charges as "fees", mixed USDs and CADs as if they were one and the same and treated the border as invisible. UPS has been in business for a long time because they do things right.

OP came out of this quite well considering he was the only party that did things wrong. It has cost the retailer and UPS for his lack of knowledge.

PS: OP might get another surprize when he sees how much he has lost on currency exchange fees with his refund to his credit card.

Top