• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 9:25 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2018
10 posts
12 upvotes

Horrible neighbor in Toronto!

Hi Everyone,

My elder parents have horrible neighbors. They illegally rent out their basement, which itself we honestly don't care about. What does bother us is the crowd in the neighbors basement. They are very rowdy at all hours of the night. They urinate on our lawn, throw their garbage and cigarette butts all over our property when they are drinking and constantly park in-front of our home. Now as long as they are not blocking our driveway, it is their right to park in front of our home that I agree with, but we have asked them as a courtesy not to park there so we can fit our own vehicles near our home. Well, one of the vehicle's of the neighbor's tenant has broke down. They have taken the plates off the vehicle and it has been sitting parked in front of our house for a few days now. Its a work vehicle and an eyesore and my parents have to park their own vehicle up to 100 meters away if they come home late at night. We live in Scarborough.

Is there any law against leaving a disabled vehicle in the same spot, on a residential road, with the tags removed for an extended period of time? If I go to 42 division and explain them my story, is there anything you guys can recommend I tell them? I really appreciate everyone's help. If anyone can give us information that would lead to the removal of these vehicles once and for all, I would be happy to buy you and your family dinner.

Cheers~
29 replies
Apr 29, 2017
345 posts
417 upvotes
Can't park a vehicle without plates or invalid plates on the street, report it to your local parking enforcement and they will ticket and tow it
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1599 posts
1092 upvotes
By-law matter, not police. Every city has by-laws regarding on street parking.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2018
10 posts
12 upvotes
prochargedv8 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:39 pm
Can't park a vehicle without plates or invalid plates on the street, report it to your local parking enforcement and they will ticket and tow it
I was hoping this was the case. Any chance you know where I could find the legal code for this?
[OP]
Mar 6, 2018
10 posts
12 upvotes
skeet50 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:42 pm
By-law matter, not police. Every city has by-laws regarding on street parking.
If thats the case, do you know who to contact to enforce these by laws? Ive seen a parking enforcemeny officer maybe once in the last decade patrol these roads
Oct 24, 2016
427 posts
278 upvotes
ON
Why only bother with parking. If the basement is illegal, report to the city and solve all your problems. But I'm really lost here. How come a vehicle parked on the street in front of your house is bothering you more than people pissing on your lawn? Face Screaming In Fear
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Jun 14, 2010
322 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
KamalKA wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:48 pm
If thats the case, do you know who to contact to enforce these by laws? Ive seen a parking enforcemeny officer maybe once in the last decade patrol these roads
Since your in Toronto you can call 311 or 416-392-CITY (2489). Ask for parking bylaw complaints and they will get a bylaw officer out when available.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2018
10 posts
12 upvotes
Holystone wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:01 pm
Why only bother with parking. If the basement is illegal, report to the city and solve all your problems. But I'm really lost here. How come a vehicle parked on the street in front of your house is bothering you more than people pissing on your lawn? Face Screaming In Fear
We have caught them doing it twice and they had since apologized. We put up cameras and a security system which has stopped that specific behavior completely. I only mentioned the urinating part to set a context of what kind of folk they were. We suspect that it’s illegal but have no way of verifying. There are hundreds of illegal basement rentals to families and international students all over my neighborhood. We have a good relationship with the neighbors just not their tenants. They’re an older couple and we don’t want to destroy what could be the key to their livelihood.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3946 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
KamalKA wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:30 pm
We have caught them doing it twice and they had since apologized. We put up cameras and a security system which has stopped that specific behavior completely. I only mentioned the urinating part to set a context of what kind of folk they were. We suspect that it’s illegal but have no way of verifying. There are hundreds of illegal basement rentals to families and international students all over my neighborhood. We have a good relationship with the neighbors just not their tenants. They’re an older couple and we don’t want to destroy what could be the key to their livelihood.
should just call the police on those people if they are damaging your property.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Nov 26, 2014
43 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
KamalKA wrote: If thats the case, do you know who to contact to enforce these by laws? Ive seen a parking enforcemeny officer maybe once in the last decade patrol these roads
There are lots of residential streets that are not patrolled by PKE. They only show up when you call them and complaint.
Oct 29, 2006
903 posts
348 upvotes
Call non emergency TPS line. ‭(416) 808-2222‬

Option 4, then 2 (parking enforcement). Say there’s a car without plates parked on your street for x number of days. They’ll send an enforcement officer who will call a tow truck and remove the car.

Done.
Jul 5, 2004
23084 posts
2725 upvotes
marktang wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:13 pm
should just call the police on those people if they are damaging your property.
Not sure urinating on grass is worthy of the police being called.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5392 posts
1158 upvotes
Whitby
KamalKA wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 7:30 pm
We have a good relationship with the neighbors just not their tenants. They’re an older couple and we don’t want to destroy what could be the key to their livelihood.
Discuss the issues with your neighbours, they should find good tenants so they still have rental income and you aren't disturbed by late night partying. Seems a reasonable compromise, tell the property owner your only way to deal with the rowdy tenants is to report the illegal apartment which you don't want to do....they can easily deal with it by getting better tenants.
The parking spot in front of your home isn't yours though, I would expect future tenants will take the closest legal spot....no matter where they park it will be in front of someones house.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2018
10 posts
12 upvotes
jondeals wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:01 pm
There are lots of residential streets that are not patrolled by PKE. They only show up when you call them and complaint.
i didn't know that, thats good to know!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)