Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
HostGator.com

Hostgator Black Friday & Cyber Monday Sale up to 75% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2013 6:48 pm
Banned
Nov 26, 2013
15 posts
5 upvotes
As far as I know its 60%-75% off all weekend and cyber monday
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Sorry I can't take that link seriously... It's fairly common when a hosting company gets taken over that issues like this happen... It's really not much of a concern unless it becomes frequent. I can't tell you how many times a hosting company that I was using had a change in ownership and it messed up my sites... But in most cases it was just a temporary bump in the road.
Dec 28, 2011
940 posts
468 upvotes
Victoria
I was rushed to get in my order before it 75% flash deal expired but I couldn't figure out a way to pay for more than 1 year on a VPS.
Dec 27, 2005
739 posts
195 upvotes
GTA, Ontario
I just signed up for 3 years of hosting. I've heard good things about Hostgator in the past. Here's to hoping it all works out. I'm stuck with them for 3 years. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
2779 posts
4697 upvotes
Vancouver
frugal_fanboy wrote: Hostgator has seriously deteriorated in terms of reliability and customer service since they were bought up by EIG. Google EIG August 2013 outage for details of the biggest outage fiasco to date (although they've had more since, just check their support forums or Facebook for an abundance of evidence). I was with Hostgator for years without issue until this year. I've had enough of the flakiness and downtime and am in the process of moving elsewhere.

Buy cheap domains, sure. Hosting, I cannot recommend it at all.
walker2238 wrote: Sorry I can't take that link seriously... It's fairly common when a hosting company gets taken over that issues like this happen... It's really not much of a concern unless it becomes frequent. I can't tell you how many times a hosting company that I was using had a change in ownership and it messed up my sites... But in most cases it was just a temporary bump in the road.
That's the thing though. It is frequent.

Not to mention users now being accused of resource over usage despite their not having changed anything on their site, or the fact that their online chat support is all but useless now. Good luck getting through at all, and occasionally when you do get through your connection gets dropped immediately upon you hitting the front of the queue.

Oh, and also trying to get out of honouring their uptime guarantee by classifying datacentre outages or server outages as Emergency scheduled maintenance, even though the maintenance notice only gets posted after the outage has already started.

etc. etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
frugal_fanboy wrote: That's the thing though. It is frequent.

Not to mention users now being accused of resource over usage despite their not having changed anything on their site, or the fact that their online chat support is all but useless now. Good luck getting through at all, and occasionally when you do get through your connection gets dropped immediately upon you hitting the front of the queue.

Oh, and also trying to get out of honouring their uptime guarantee by classifying datacentre outages or server outages as Emergency scheduled maintenance, even though the maintenance notice only gets posted after the outage has already started.

etc. etc.
I'm arguing that EIG is known for providing poor services... It was more of an issue with the provided link, webhostingtalk.com is a much better place to get honest opinions.

But 75% off is still a good deal for a sand box.
Aug 20, 2007
564 posts
64 upvotes
walker2238 wrote: Sorry I can't take that link seriously... It's fairly common when a hosting company gets taken over that issues like this happen... It's really not much of a concern unless it becomes frequent. I can't tell you how many times a hosting company that I was using had a change in ownership and it messed up my sites... But in most cases it was just a temporary bump in the road.
walker2238 wrote: I'm arguing that EIG is known for providing poor services... It was more of an issue with the provided link, webhostingtalk.com is a much better place to get honest opinions.

But 75% off is still a good deal for a sand box.
Well if your second post is true then there is something wrong with your first post because that's not you were trying to say.

You said "in most cases it was just a temporary bump in the road" but now you admit that " EIG is known for providing poor services".

Frankly speaking, even if you go on webhostingtalk.com and search yourself the conclusion is the same as the link I provided - EIG sucks!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
jl007 wrote: Well if your second post is true then there is something wrong with your first post because that's not you were trying to say.

You said "in most cases it was just a temporary bump in the road" but now you admit that " EIG is known for providing poor services".

Frankly speaking, even if you go on webhostingtalk.com and search yourself the conclusion is the same as the link I provided - EIG sucks!
Read the article from the link... It'll add some context if you do... It blows things way out of proportion.

"in most cases it was just a temporary bump in the road" - again context.

I'm a member of webhostingtalk.com and aware of some of the hate towards EIG. But I also know that a lot of people who host their own website are idiots who know nothing except the fact they want a website.

In most case people are complaining about shared hosting... Sorry but once again you need to be aware of the context.
Banned
Nov 26, 2013
15 posts
5 upvotes
[QUOTE]Well if your second post is true then there is something wrong with your first post because that's not you were trying to say.

Frankly speaking, even if you go on webhostingtalk.com and search yourself the conclusion is the same as the link I provided - EIG sucks![/QUOTE]

90% Of people on webhostingtalk are trying to advertise their own web hosting company in their signature and of course EIG sucks to them.

Millions of people do not use Hostgator because they suck.

I have used them personally for the last few years with no big issues and I also have friends that use them and we are all happy.
May 15, 2011
495 posts
332 upvotes
I thought I would jump in as hosting is an area that I have expertise, given that I own 10 servers outright myself (private cloud), and I partner with others to build software frameworks for various purposes.

Hostgator has issues. We are rescuing commercial customers from hostgator on a weekly basis. I would not recommend them to anyone at this time. Generally, I rank hostgator, along with GoDaddy as close to bottom tier. Your are tied to very narrow resource limits. Annually there are both Dump GoDaddy and Dump Hostgator days, which may tell you how infamous they have become.

If you just have a 5 pg little personal site or blog to run, fine. But if you are running a more sophisticated site, or a resource intensive site (any ecommerce site is more intensive fyi) or a business or community site that sees high daily traffic that is important to your business wellbeing I would stay away.

I have an image I took, where i scoped out the amount of sites running on one ip at hostgator recently. I don't believe it can be posted, but the number was outrageous. Its not uncommon to find a few hundred low resource sites to possibly, with cheap hosts, a few thousand sharing an ip. But over 10,000. Ridiculous. Over 15,000 Outrageous. You get where I am going with this....... it does not matter how one runs one's hosting, when one gangs that many sites on an ip, you are asking for trouble. But it is why running webhosting is a license to print money.

Buying cheap webhosting is like buying a no name chinese tablet from alibaba. Its not necessarily bad, but its not generally good either!
Time to update my signature!
Banned
Nov 26, 2013
15 posts
5 upvotes
[QUOTE]Buying cheap webhosting is like buying a no name chinese tablet from alibaba. Its not necessarily bad, but its not generally good either![/QUOTE]

Hostgator is really not that cheap unless you get it on sale like today.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Jet2643 wrote: If you just have a 5 pg little personal site or blog to run, fine. But if you are running a more sophisticated site, or a resource intensive site (any ecommerce site is more intensive fyi) or a business or community site that sees high daily traffic that is important to your business wellbeing I would stay away.
I don't think anyone uses Hostgator to host a business site. It's more for small blogs (wordpress) or as a development sand box.

But to be fair a majority of shared hosting is over sold at that price point. Personally I could care less since shared host == sandbox or small personal (non Drupal) site.
Banned
Nov 26, 2013
15 posts
5 upvotes
[QUOTE]If you just have a 5 pg little personal site or blog to run, fine. But if you are running a more sophisticated site, or a resource intensive site (any ecommerce site is more intensive fyi) or a business or community site that sees high daily traffic that is important to your business wellbeing I would stay away[/QUOTE]

Or get VPS

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)