• Aug 23rd, 2009 10:15 am
Tags:
None
Dec 10, 2005
79 posts
4 upvotes
La Ronge

[Amazon] HOT -50% off Mountainsmith Borealis AT Camera Backpack

I have been looking for a hiking camera backpack for about a year now. Finally settled on the Mountainsmith Borealis AT. Lots of storage for 15" laptop, camera/lens and clothing. Tripod mount a big plus imo. Also it is carry on size so it will stow in most overhead compartments. Made by mountainsmith so the quality is high.

I went online today willing to pay $144 U.S. which is the lowest price I found without shipping. Basically, I was willing to pay $200 CDN after shipping taxes/duties etc.

Found it on sale at backcountry.com. They have a store front through amazon that offers much more reasonable prices on shipping. $16.50 including Tarrifs UPS (I know UPS sucks, but I called Backcountry and they were really helpful. They said if I pay any taxes to just call them and they will take care of it. Who knows if this will actually happen though, but they do seem to know what they are talking about.)

Anyways, Price & Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith-Bor ... pd_sbs_a_1

Regular Price: $178.95 U.S.
Sale Price: $89.49 U.S.
Shipping including tariffs: $16.50 U.S. (Just a side note, this is the reason to use amazong.com. Way lower shipping than backcountry.com's own website.
Total: $105.99 U.S.

Total Canadian dollars: $116.127 CAD

Like I said, been researching this bag for a long time. Great reviews. Google it for yourself, but here are a couple of images.

6 replies
Aug 29, 2007
491 posts
24 upvotes
Montreal
Backcountry is an amazing website. they offer fantastic service, an incredible amount of selection and free shipping in the US !!!
[OP]
Dec 10, 2005
79 posts
4 upvotes
La Ronge
Yes, so far the customer service has been absolutely top notch! Multiple emails sent to them and quickly responded (like 2 minutes after sending). I found the amazon shipping price after I ordered through them and they quickly discounted my shipping price. Ordered today at 1:00pm and it is already shipped.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
1433 posts
152 upvotes
Calgary
That was on SAC (www.steepandcheap.com) a few days ago and the reviews weren't very stellar from what I recall.
Let in too much debris was the main negative comment.

I don't recall the price but it was over 60% off if I recall correctly.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2005
79 posts
4 upvotes
La Ronge
Actually, steep and cheap is backcountry.com or vice versa. Just better deals on steap and cheap if you can find them.

Anyways, 1 review of dust/leaves getting in while camera bag is open. Seems to me like any bag that is open would suffer similar issues.

All other reviews I have read have been extremely positive. That being said, there is no perfect camera bag.
Mar 11, 2002
565 posts
43 upvotes
Thanks I ordered mine yesterday and got shipping confirmation today, it hasn't updated yet but the email states "UPS Canadian Ground"
Nikon D800 // SB-900 Speedlight // Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 // Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII // Nikkor Micro 60mm f2.8
Jun 6, 2005
447 posts
4 upvotes
Just ordered one last night. FYI - I did find one on steepandcheap for $69.99 (60% off), but when I added it to the cart they wanted $80 US to ship it to Canada - so if anyone can find a way to get it to Canada, for under that, you can get it cheaper.
× < >