Page 3 of 7

Re: BB/FS Big sale on 4th Gen iPads, save up to $350 on iPads

Posted: Jan 5th, 2014 4:49 pm
by astroboy1025
Rogido wrote:
Jan 5th, 2014 1:35 pm
Even though I reserved one for pickup, I don't think I'll buy it. Yes, the $270 discount is mighty tempting, but it's still almost $700 incl taxes, and I already have a iPad3. The size and weight of the iPad negates the value of the cellular feature somewhat since it's less likely to be carried around town.

Yeah, so if anyone in Vancouver wants one, there should be one at the Futureshop in Park Royal in West Vancouver. :)
Did U reserve a black one?

Posted: Jan 5th, 2014 4:51 pm
by alwaysbuylow
cheaper_than_cheap wrote:
Jan 5th, 2014 2:33 pm
Also note if you want to use it for mapping, only the cellular models have the GPS receiver.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this feature, glad I bought the cellular model, not only can use the GPS map, some other apps use this functionality, such as iPhoto can still tag the location of the pictures and videos if you don't have data plan or out of wifi range, the built-in AGPS chip makes the 128G cellular model a hot buy.

Just googled about it, more information in this article about the GPS function of the ipad 4:
http://gps.about.com/od/accessories/a/New-Ipad-Gps.htm

Posted: Jan 5th, 2014 5:25 pm
by umadbrah
still in stock edm west but wasnt a fan of the apple air so meh

Posted: Jan 5th, 2014 6:07 pm
by tilley
Picked up a 128GB Cellular model at BB in Calgary. I am very happy with the deal.
Thank you for posting this.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 12:45 am
by Rogido
astroboy1025 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2014 4:49 pm
Did U reserve a black one?
No, it was a white 128GB w/cellular. Technically they should have held it till about 5pm, and then released it back to the shelves.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 12:46 am
by Rogido
umadbrah wrote:
Jan 5th, 2014 5:25 pm
still in stock edm west but wasnt a fan of the apple air so meh
I don' think any of the air models were on sale.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 12:49 am
by Rogido
bcodemz wrote:
Jan 5th, 2014 4:34 pm
Yes. That's the reason I bought the cellular model even though I won't put a SIM card it in. The GPS chip in my iPad 4 is outstanding. It locks way faster than any GPS equipped device I've had, including standalone GPS devices.
But I guess the fly in the ointment is that it needs data to work, since there are no downloaded maps, correct? It would work when connected to Wi-Fi, but that would precluded it from being used in the car, or on foot.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 12:57 am
by BinaryJay
Huge sale = $500 last generation tablets, har har to that.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 1:03 am
by ez_86
i dont get how you guys r buying the ipad 4 when the air is already out, for a bit more, i see so many more advantages in the air vs. the previous ones. Additionally, the air has 64-bit architecture making is so much more future-proof than the 4 .... hmmmmm....

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 1:04 am
by ez_86
BinaryJay wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 12:57 am
Huge sale = $500 last generation tablets, har har to that.
lol when taking the ipad air sale target had on black friday and boxing day with the gift cards into persepctive, i dont see how this deal is hot

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 1:04 am
by cheaper_than_cheap
Rogido wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 12:49 am
But I guess the fly in the ointment is that it needs data to work, since there are no downloaded maps, correct? It would work when connected to Wi-Fi, but that would precluded it from being used in the car, or on foot.
Depends what app you're using. Some allow you to control what maps are downloaded for offline use. The built in Apple maps are vector now too, so in most cases they're cached well enough automatically by the OS.

In any case you can easily tether to use your phone's data if necessary to download maps, but it's more tricky to use an external GPS. It's much nicer to have the GPS receiver built in.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 1:06 am
by cheaper_than_cheap
ez_86 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 1:04 am
lol when taking the ipad air sale target had on black friday and boxing day with the gift cards into persepctive, i dont see how this deal is hot
Remind me again what a 128 GB Air with cellular was going for?

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 1:08 am
by ez_86
cheaper_than_cheap wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 1:06 am
Remind me again what a 128 GB Air with cellular was going for?
you dont need cellular when most ppl have smartphones that can tether ..... 128 gig.... cmon, you're asking for a hurting wallet, lol

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 1:11 am
by cheaper_than_cheap
ez_86 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 1:08 am
you dont need cellular when most ppl have smartphones that can tether ..... 128 gig.... cmon, you're asking for a hurting wallet, lol
So in other words, because YOU personally don't see a need for that particular combination of features, that means it's useless for everyone? Great logic.

Posted: Jan 6th, 2014 1:16 am
by ez_86

BUT IT'S SOOOO PRETTY !!!!!!!!!

but in all seriousness, the A6 processor is still super fast and sufficient enough to run very well, so for ppl trying to purchase a 128 gig cellular newer* generation ipad i guess it's a good deal vs. the 998 retail for ipad air 128 cellular....... still, it's a very small group of ppl looking for that specifically........ with smartphones having the ability to tether, and the cloud essentially replacing the storage you need internally, i personally don't get the logic....