Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Best Buy

*HOT* [Best Buy] Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 - $328.11 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2016 4:48 pm
Jan 22, 2013
311 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver

[Best Buy] *HOT* [Best Buy] Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 - $328.11 YMMV

Two possible price matches:

http://www.gadgetgear.ca/sony-rx100-black.html

http://m.canadacomputers.com/mobile/itemid/071947

The gadgetgear price is much lower but less reliable; total YMMV. If at first you fail the PM keep trying... I was able to get it in-store...

PM at Best Buy - 10% of difference + $12.99 gadgetgear shipping cost = $328.11 + TAX

Canada computers is pretty much a guaranteed PM - they have a $100 instant rebate promotion on these cameras until the end of the month.

PM at Best Buy - 10% of difference = $110 off of $549.99 for a very portable camera that takes great photos!

I'm not an expert by any means, and I gawked at paying $500 after tax for a camera that's a few years old, but from my research it seems that the RX100 is still an excellent option. Please correct me if I'm wrong :-)

Well-recommended batteries that are a good value:

https://www.amazon.ca/BM-Premium-DSC-RX ... 00+battery
161 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
It's a great little camera. Very happy with it except for the "battery drain" issue. That only came up about a year after ownership. Something to do with the "drop sensor." I just take the battery out when not using it at home. I doubt there was ever a firmware fix.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
^Have the same problem with my A6000 and it doesn't matter if the battery is inside or outside the body, is not the firmware, is the battery cell that Sony uses.

Seem to have solved the problem with an after market battery which lasts just as long for shooting but it stays fresh much longer sitting too.

As for the RX100, is a good price for it but one have to keep in mind this is a very old camera too in its 4th MK generation already and this is 1st.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1254 posts
155 upvotes
Stocks are low in Montreal
It's a 2012 model or so one or more new generations are out there
thanks for posting
Jan 22, 2013
311 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
hdom wrote: ^Have the same problem with my A6000 and it doesn't matter if the battery is inside or outside the body, is not the firmware, is the battery cell that Sony uses.

Seem to have solved the problem with an after market battery which lasts just as long for shooting but it stays fresh much longer sitting too.

As for the RX100, is a good price for it but one have to keep in mind this is a very old camera too in its 4th MK generation already and this is 1st.
I agree with you but unfortunately Sony doesn't discount older generations when coming out with new ones - for each newer model you're looking at a $150-200 price increase, so it's up to the buyer to determine if it's worth it for them... For me personally, I just wanted the bare necessities but still wanted excellent photo quality

E.g. When comparing this model (M1) vs M2 the biggest difference came down to
-tiltable LCD screen
-hotshoe slot
-slightly better low light performance

If the above is worth $150 more to you then you should go for the newer model, but the improvement in photo quality is marginal I believe. And then you're looking at at least $950 and then $1150 for the M3 and M4 respectively, the latter only being worthwhile over the M3 if you value the extra slow mo videos and 4K recording roughly speaking
Jan 22, 2013
311 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
MrMom wrote: It's a great little camera. Very happy with it except for the "battery drain" issue. That only came up about a year after ownership. Something to do with the "drop sensor." I just take the battery out when not using it at home. I doubt there was ever a firmware fix.
Apparently I didn't research enough because I wasn't aware that this was a common problem. Could you please elaborate on the battery issue? I bought the extra battery below:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/son ... 63d318en02
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You know a camera is good when after 3 newer generations, the first gen still sells for 439...
Jun 25, 2013
4 posts
Edmonton
I bought this camera back when it first came out (1st gen) for 699, and it was worth every penny. I've taken thousands of dslr like professional photos with this small extremely portable camera.
Most cameras this size are all the same and cannot produce the good 'Bokeh' effect that this camera produces (due to its significantly larger sensor).
I've blown up several large size canvases with the pics I took.
The bounce flash alone is a feature all cameras should have! (it shoots light around the room/walls not directly at the subject for an extremely well lit shot!)
The only thing if you really care about is the zoom is a bit low, but the large 20MP size pics it takes make up for a good amount of that.
At 439 its a steal!
Jul 8, 2014
426 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm selling my mark ii for same price if anyone is interested ;)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Janerator wrote: I agree with you but unfortunately Sony doesn't discount older generations when coming out with new ones - for each newer model you're looking at a $150-200 price increase, so it's up to the buyer to determine if it's worth it for them... For me personally, I just wanted the bare necessities but still wanted excellent photo quality

E.g. When comparing this model (M1) vs M2 the biggest difference came down to
-tiltable LCD screen
-hotshoe slot
-slightly better low light performance

If the above is worth $150 more to you then you should go for the newer model, but the improvement in photo quality is marginal I believe. And then you're looking at at least $950 and then $1150 for the M3 and M4 respectively, the latter only being worthwhile over the M3 if you value the extra slow mo videos and 4K recording roughly speaking
M2 has wifi, which is a big plus too
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4586 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What camera would people recommend for a vlog camera? Heard many comparisons between the RX100 and G7x. There's so many different versions out there too. I believe the Rx100 is on the 4th version.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1753 posts
2720 upvotes
Pallet Town
While I'm surprised the 1st gen is still being sold and for that price, it's still better than the vast majority of consumer point and shoots. I had a RX100 M3 a while ago, and I sold it because I found the zoom lacking. But it sure took some great pictures...
Feb 14, 2017
8 posts
Scarborough, ON
Massdrop had the mk3 for the same price.
This is not even close to being a deal.
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
Janerator wrote: Apparently I didn't research enough because I wasn't aware that this was a common problem. Could you please elaborate on the battery issue? I bought the extra battery below:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/son ... 63d318en02
Simply the battery drains very quickly and doesn't hold it's charge when idle in the phone. Other times, it seemed to turn itself on without me touching it. It could be bad cells as HDOM said. Others have reported that turning the "drop sensor" to off has helped. I bought mine in late 2012.

I used it the last couple of weekends for stills and video without issue, so IDK.

I was looking at this (https://www.amazon.ca/BM-Premium-DSC-RX ... 00+battery) to buy extra batteries for a long weekend away.
Jan 22, 2013
311 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
sleepityme wrote: Massdrop had the mk3 for the same price.
That massdrop camera was a grey-market camera not even covered under sonys original warranty. If you had found that price at a legitimate retailer then yes that would be hot.
Jan 22, 2013
311 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote: M2 has wifi, which is a big plus too
True I forgot about that, another thing to consider in the comparison. Although I heard reviews about the wifi being a bit dodgy.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sleepityme wrote: Massdrop had the mk3 for the same price.
Massdrop is still around? Last time I bought something from them it took 9 weeks to arrive(they promised 2). Throwing several hundred dollars in the crapper is better than buying through them.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2003
1825 posts
2198 upvotes
Markham
Never had the battery problem so maybe a batch of bad cells for others? Just looked at my Mk1 that's been sitting around, drop sensor on, battery bar full so I guess I'm lucky there.
Only issue I've had is it will sometimes turn off by itself (not the auto-off/sleep, randomly while I'm using, but rarely) even with the lens still extended. Pressing power will turn it back on so not the biggest deal.
But nice qual pictures and easy to use, even for (especially for?) someone as bad at photography as me. I particularly like to use burst, lots of fun when Google Photos turns them in to animated Gifs :) You get some great quality stills and a not great quality video.
The wifi would be nice, a few times I wished I had it to upload to web, as well as the newer features like slow mo etc, but none were so essential that it seemed worth paying so much more to upgrade.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!
Jan 22, 2013
311 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
MrMom wrote: Simply the battery drains very quickly and doesn't hold it's charge when idle in the phone. Other times, it seemed to turn itself on without me touching it. It could be bad cells as HDOM said. Others have reported that turning the "drop sensor" to off has helped. I bought mine in late 2012.

I used it the last couple of weekends for stills and video without issue, so IDK.

I was looking at this (https://www.amazon.ca/BM-Premium-DSC-RX ... 00+battery) to buy extra batteries for a long weekend away.
What the heck? This bundle is a fraction of the price of the extra Sony battery I purchased at $70. Even the generic batteries were $50. How is it so cheap? Am I missing something?