None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke

[Costco] HOT! Costco Syntec Oil Change $10 off

Just came back from my local Costco (Dundas & Ridgeway) where Oil Change with Castrol Syntec Synthetic Oil is $10 off (after tax).

Regular $42.99 + 15% tax - $10 = $39.44

If you're like me and change synthetic oil every 10,000K, then this works out cheaper than 2 regular oil changes @ $20 + tax.

I didn't see end date posted but don't expect this to last too long.

Also, Costco won't take the $5 coupon on Syntec's site --> http://www.castrolsyntec.com

If you're there, pick up a Castrol broucher dispelling the 4 myth about synthetic oil:

1. Synthetic oil can be used after dino oil and vice versa.
2. Synthetic oil won't void car warranty
3. Synthetic oil can be used on older cars
4. Synthetic oil can be used during break-in period
65 replies
Aug 22, 2004
861 posts
1 upvote
That is a good price - I try to change mine every 6k -- we drive low km/month and mostly city driving.
Banned
Oct 14, 2003
476 posts
Calgary & Lethbr…
eelfliw wrote:
If you're like me and change synthetic oil every 10,000K, then this works out cheaper than 2 regular oil changes @ $20 + tax.
Just so no one else's engine meets an early demise: RUNNING A SYNTHETIC OIL DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR OIL LESS!

Because synthetic oil doesn't break down as fast as regular or "dino(saur)" oil, some people have come to mistakenly believe they can therefor not change oil as often. This itself is a myth: You change your oil, be it dino or synth, well before it breaks down, because a broken down oil will start to cause terminal engine damage in a very short period of time. The reason oil changes in our climate should be changed every 5,000km (follow the severe duty schedule for your vehicle) is because of the contamination that gets into our oil. This contamination is the cause of bearing failure, etc - Only in cases where people haven't changed their oil in years do you see the oil actually breaking down.

SO in summary; Synthetic oil is worth the extra expense, because, yes it doesn't break down as quick, but it also has superiour polymers in it that greatly reduce wear. It does not mean you should change your oil any less freqently, as synthetic collects particulate in it just the same (some argue more so) then dino oil.

[/sound off]
Heatware: amorak
Ebay Feedback: jducs
Banned
Oct 14, 2003
476 posts
Calgary & Lethbr…
... and back on topic - Lethbridge Costco doesn't do oil changes... *sigh*
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1276 posts
159 upvotes
Synthetic oil takes longer to break down. If you have a good filter that means you don't have to change your oil as soon as dino oil. Go gread some oil analysis reports on the web. Not by the companies but by private citizens and labs that come to the same conclusion.
Jan 27, 2003
535 posts
Snow Country, BC
amorak wrote:... and back on topic - Lethbridge Costco doesn't do oil changes... *sigh*
Oil change in costco only available in eastern provinces (Ontario and maybe Quebec). I was surprise to hear this when I went for a oil change in BC.
Another reason to move back to TO.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2002
1177 posts
8 upvotes
I would not get an oil change from costco/walmart/cdn tire.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2596 posts
256 upvotes
no oil change facilities in edmonton either
Banned
Oct 14, 2003
476 posts
Calgary & Lethbr…
GonePostal wrote:Synthetic oil takes longer to break down. If you have a good filter that means you don't have to change your oil as soon as dino oil. Go gread some oil analysis reports on the web. Not by the companies but by private citizens and labs that come to the same conclusion.
see my post above - I agree with you that it doesn't break down, but it still holds particulates, and the BETTER filters you speak of catch more particulates per pass through, and need to be changed more often then a sh1tty one, as it will plug up quicker.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6376 posts
144 upvotes
DISH wrote:I would not get an oil change from costco/walmart/cdn tire.
Why? Its pretty hard to screw up an oil change. And you can get a synthetic oil change at walmart for less than the cost of the oil and filter.
Banned
Dec 26, 2004
2987 posts
6 upvotes
Mississauga!
bionicbadger wrote:Why? Its pretty hard to screw up an oil change. And you can get a synthetic oil change at walmart for less than the cost of the oil and filter.
i agree, and if its not good to get a costco oil change, why? either get a DIY kit or go to costco. my opinion.
I have Vitiligo, it is there, but it is white (it = my eyebrow)

Shadow Dweller
My B/S/T:
Antenna 4 Sale: [URL]http://redfla
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19892 posts
1520 upvotes
amorak wrote:Just so no one else's engine meets an early demise: RUNNING A SYNTHETIC OIL DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR OIL LESS!

SO in summary; Synthetic oil is worth the extra expense, because, yes it doesn't break down as quick, but it also has superiour polymers in it that greatly reduce wear. It does not mean you should change your oil any less freqently, as synthetic collects particulate in it just the same (some argue more so) then dino oil.
I dunno about the above... The general consensus I've seen and heard in the automotive industry is that you can indeed, in most cases, change your oil at less frequent intervals using a synthetic oil. Of course you need a decent filter, that goes without saying.

I used to change the (synthetic, Mobil1) oil in my car at the "regular" interval as well, but several people knowledgeable in studies done with motor oil advised me that I was "throwing good oil away". So now I change it every 10,000km instead of every 5,000km which is still apparently considered "throwing good oil away".

In fact, take a look at a lot of the cars these days with "Oil Life Monitors" which monitor driving conditions and advise when to change [dino/conventional] oil... Cars with very little to no difference in powertrain (take many 98 v. 99 GM cars for example, 99 being when GM started a lot of the cars with the OLMs) have completely different oil change intervals because of the OLM... The standard "severe service" interval before was 5,000km or 4 months; now they recommend using the OLM and even in "severe" conditions the OLM usually doesn't indicate an oil change is required for 10,000-15,000km--and that is with conventional motor oil!

So I don't think extending the interval to even 15,000km with synthetic oil is going to harm anything because if conventional oil can last that long nowadays, synthetic would last even longer. But at some point you're right the contaminants in the oil become a problem. The thing is I'm pretty sure chemical breakdown of the oil caused by extensive idling makes for more engine wear far before physical contaminants become a problem, and that is where synthetic oil shines in its resistance to breakdown.

Also I would recommend to anyone that is thinking about using a synthetic oil, that they DO NOT USE CASTROL SYNTEC. See, Syntec is not a "true" synthetic oil... This is something Mobil sued Castrol over when Castrol decided to change their formula to a cheaper actually non-synthetic (by proper definition) oil. Mobil lost as the US courts found that the use of the term synthetic was somehow open to interpretation. While I'm sure Syntec is better than any conventional oil, compared to other synthetics you're wasting your money.

Furhtermore Castrol did NOT pass any price reduction from their "cheaping up" of their "synthetic" Syntec branded oil on to consumers--the price remained the same after the reformulation of the product...

If you're going to use a synthetic, I'd recommend Mobil 1 or RedLine or Amsoil (but the latter two are more expensive than the rest and harder to get though they are sold at Crappy Tire now). Please stay away from Castrol and their Syntec scam...

Even in F1, the team sponsored by Castrol, BMW.WilliamsF1? They have been reportedly actually still using Elf (which they've used previously) in the majority of races, despite the large Castrol logos and ads with Williams. I wonder why that is?

Even conventional oils, all the independent lab tests I've seen for motor oils have Castrol in the low ranks. Personally I wouldn't put Castrol anything in my vehicle. Just a heads up, if you don't follow my advice that is up to you.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
235 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:Also I would recommend to anyone that is thinking about using a synthetic oil, that they DO NOT USE CASTROL SYNTEC. See, Syntec is not a "true" synthetic oil... This is something Mobil sued Castrol over when Castrol decided to change their formula to a cheaper actually non-synthetic (by proper definition) oil. Mobil lost as the US courts found that the use of the term synthetic was somehow open to interpretation. While I'm sure Syntec is better than any conventional oil, compared to other synthetics you're wasting your money.
hate to tell you this but most of the synthetic oils you buy off the shelf aren't true synthetics. Castrol used conventional dino oil as their base when manufacturing their synthetic. This saved them money and when they won the court case, every company started using dino oils for their line of synthetic. Even Mobil (US version) had to do this in order to compete profitably. The TRUE synthetic oils are way more expensive and only a few companies are selling it. Redline and Mobil1 (german version) are the only two that I know of that produces a line of full synthetic oils. You can tell if it's a full synthetic oil if it's listed as being Group IV compliant.

but you're right, Castrol Syntec is still better than a conventional oil.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
ES_Revenge wrote:I dunno about the above... The general consensus I've seen and heard in the automotive industry is that you can indeed, in most cases, change your oil at less frequent intervals using a synthetic oil. Of course you need a decent filter, that goes without saying.

I used to change the (synthetic, Mobil1) oil in my car at the "regular" interval as well, but several people knowledgeable in studies done with motor oil advised me that I was "throwing good oil away". So now I change it every 10,000km instead of every 5,000km which is still apparently considered "throwing good oil away".

In fact, take a look at a lot of the cars these days with "Oil Life Monitors" which monitor driving conditions and advise when to change [dino/conventional] oil... Cars with very little to no difference in powertrain (take many 98 v. 99 GM cars for example, 99 being when GM started a lot of the cars with the OLMs) have completely different oil change intervals because of the OLM... The standard "severe service" interval before was 5,000km or 4 months; now they recommend using the OLM and even in "severe" conditions the OLM usually doesn't indicate an oil change is required for 10,000-15,000km--and that is with conventional motor oil!

So I don't think extending the interval to even 15,000km with synthetic oil is going to harm anything because if conventional oil can last that long nowadays, synthetic would last even longer. But at some point you're right the contaminants in the oil become a problem. The thing is I'm pretty sure chemical breakdown of the oil caused by extensive idling makes for more engine wear far before physical contaminants become a problem, and that is where synthetic oil shines in its resistance to breakdown.

Also I would recommend to anyone that is thinking about using a synthetic oil, that they DO NOT USE CASTROL SYNTEC. See, Syntec is not a "true" synthetic oil... This is something Mobil sued Castrol over when Castrol decided to change their formula to a cheaper actually non-synthetic (by proper definition) oil. Mobil lost as the US courts found that the use of the term synthetic was somehow open to interpretation. While I'm sure Syntec is better than any conventional oil, compared to other synthetics you're wasting your money.

Furhtermore Castrol did NOT pass any price reduction from their "cheaping up" of their "synthetic" Syntec branded oil on to consumers--the price remained the same after the reformulation of the product...

If you're going to use a synthetic, I'd recommend Mobil 1 or RedLine or Amsoil (but the latter two are more expensive than the rest and harder to get though they are sold at Crappy Tire now). Please stay away from Castrol and their Syntec scam...

Even in F1, the team sponsored by Castrol, BMW.WilliamsF1? They have been reportedly actually still using Elf (which they've used previously) in the majority of races, despite the large Castrol logos and ads with Williams. I wonder why that is?

Even conventional oils, all the independent lab tests I've seen for motor oils have Castrol in the low ranks. Personally I wouldn't put Castrol anything in my vehicle. Just a heads up, if you don't follow my advice that is up to you.

FYI,

Castrol, Shell, Chevron, Havoline, Petro-Canada, Valvoline, Coastal, SuperTech and almost everyone else has switched to hydrocracked Group III oil (i.e. Regular dino oil).

Only Mobil1, Amsoil and a few others use Group IV PAO and Group V esters (True synthetics).
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2002
1177 posts
8 upvotes
bionicbadger wrote:Why? Its pretty hard to screw up an oil change. And you can get a synthetic oil change at walmart for less than the cost of the oil and filter.
Refer to this post http://forums.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=105199

I also know someone that got there oil changed at costco and they did not put in the proper amount ( oil was dangerously low) engine could have siezed

bottom line: Don't expect much. Most of these places employee kids for $9/hour.
× < >