• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2018 11:09 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4593 posts
19413 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think a lot of it has to do with fast fashion, and the idea that everything is disposable.
Deals are what they are anymore because everything is relatively cheaper (both quality and price).
Just think about clothing...when I was a kid, I would get hand me downs..kids nowadays wear brand new items. I see teeny boppers now going into Aritzia and shopping there. Kids shopped at Gap and Old Navy, American Eagle, etc 10-15 years ago.
Then look at phones....ppl change phones like every 2 years or whenever the new one comes out. It's crazy!

For me, as I get older, I feel less need for products, but rather experiences. I save my money on travelling. When I do spend, i'll spend on quality items instead of disposable ones. A good examples are pans. You can get a cheap non-stick fry pan at Walmart or Canadian Tire for like $10, use if for a year and chuck it because it's peeling. Rather, I bought All-Clad pans, and Debuyer pans and those will last me a lifetime.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
194 upvotes
stovetop wrote: I think a lot of it has to do with fast fashion, and the idea that everything is disposable.
Deals are what they are anymore because everything is relatively cheaper (both quality and price).
Just think about clothing...when I was a kid, I would get hand me downs..kids nowadays wear brand new items. I see teeny boppers now going into Aritzia and shopping there. Kids shopped at Gap and Old Navy, American Eagle, etc 10-15 years ago.
Then look at phones....ppl change phones like every 2 years or whenever the new one comes out. It's crazy!

For me, as I get older, I feel less need for products, but rather experiences. I save my money on travelling. When I do spend, i'll spend on quality items instead of disposable ones. A good examples are pans. You can get a cheap non-stick fry pan at Walmart or Canadian Tire for like $10, use if for a year and chuck it because it's peeling. Rather, I bought All-Clad pans, and Debuyer pans and those will last me a lifetime.
This. But we're showing our age, I suspect.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2992 posts
1952 upvotes
Possibly the time has come for RFD to switch to a paid model of some sort?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1094 posts
1895 upvotes
GTA
Are you saying you don't like hot deals such as driving halfway across town to price match a competitor and save 20 cents on mustard? That's just one example of many of the hot deals that certainly aren't hot.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
4100 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
RFD is all user driven. Maybe YellowPages should reward posters more often by giving out gift cards for those who's threads gets a x amount of views/replies at the end of every month.
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
629 upvotes
smooth running for rfd, the boat is afloat and wind at it's back, no reason to adjust the format

no incentive for some posters,cause they get beat down..would love to see if there is the same persistent percentage of down voters

it's no different than the rude kids in class, post their handle so all of rfd can see the bully

or if you are the bully, have the courtesy and say, yes, i down voted you
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18998 upvotes
I guess competition is another one. In Canada, another retailer bites the dust every few months...
Gone are retailers like:
Blockbuster
Zellers
Target
Sears
Esprit
Aeropostale
HMV
Future Shop
NCIX

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Not to mention a lot of small specialty retailers like Black's and a bunch of other clothing stores over the years.

And with competition gone, prices at other retailers go up and they have less deals. Lower PM incentives come into play as well (how many RFD deals were once based on StOOSples old PM policy?). BD/BF sales are the same, most items are go "on sale" for around the same price at every retailer and then the few individual "deals" there are, aren't really competitive either.

Then you also have the modern-day price control scheme of some manufacturers, pioneered by none other than one of the worst and most sorry excuses for a company of all time--Crapple. Under those types of models retailers aren't allowed to vary pricing or have sales on the products, they basically have to sell them at set prices; any sales have to be authorised by or setup by the manufacturer.

There also seem to be less clearance deals for outgoing or discontinued models. Instead of prices being high the whole year and then reaching great clearance deals at the end of the year/model year it seems they sort of slowly decrease the price on some things instead and get more people to buy that way, thus depleting inventory. I've noticed this phenomenon with TVs in particular--I'm not really seeing the clearance deals we used to see on outgoing model sets anymore.

Then you have all the scapegoating in the tech sector where companies (particularly the more scummy ones like scAMD) will blame price gouging on thing like mining, memory being used in more devices, and the fact that it rained too hard in some foreign country one day :rolleyes: Not to mention all the price fixing schemes on everything from the same said tech stuff, to groceries, to mattresses, lol. Companies just love putting the blame on something, anything to "explain" price increases (sometimes ludicrous price increases at that). Basically a lot of producers of consumer goods have taken up the policies of petroleum companies and gas pricing, lol. And then, as consumers, people are either just willing to fall for/accept this kind of thing or they will even go to lengths of defending such practices! I.e. we bring it on ourselves in these cases.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)