Expired Hot Deals

[Factory Direct] Hot FD - Globe Enersaver Touch-Screen Thermostat 59025 - $24.99+6.99 shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2011 2:32 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 25, 2007
154 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto

[Factory Direct] Hot FD - Globe Enersaver Touch-Screen Thermostat 59025 - $24.99+6.99 shipping

http://www.factorydirect.ca/dealoftheday/
GLOBE TOUCHSCREEN
7 DAY PROGRAMMABLE
DIGITAL THERMOSTAT
$24.99
Condition: Brand New
Warranty: 90 Days From FactoryDirect
6.99 Shipping & Handling
deal of the day: 9 hours left

FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
• 7 Day programmable with 4 events per day - including fan
• Large, easy to read dot-matrix display
• True touch-screen technology
• Automatic selection of Cool or Heat Mode
• Programmable Fan Mode
• Intermittent Fan Feature
• Programmable Filter Monitor
• Programmable Vacation Mode
• Adjustable Differential Settings for multistage installation
• Customizable full and partial Security Settings
• Energy Watch Calculator calculates kWh consumption and real time HVAC cost
• Patented Simple Mode for nonprogrammable usage
• Full Color Backlight Screen
• Humidify or Dehumidify

manual: http://www.globe-electric.com/pr/IS/59025_IS.pdf
10 replies
Aug 4, 2010
503 posts
55 upvotes
Anyone have feedback on this thermostat? I'm looking for one that can monitor and control humidity and this one appears it can do it. Usually these are much more expensive so u have my doubts about this model.
Oct 9, 2007
32 posts
1 upvote
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
rfottawa wrote:
Sep 27th, 2011 12:23 am
Anyone have feedback on this thermostat? I'm looking for one that can monitor and control humidity and this one appears it can do it. Usually these are much more expensive so u have my doubts about this model.

On mine the humidity control required optional module(not sure if this one has it included). Anyway it's a piece of garbage...

The touch screen interface is so slow and unresponsive. And it gets much worst at low temperature (I use it in my garage and it's UNUSABLE at 4 degres because too slow to react!). Changing the temperature from 4 degres to 15 takes MINUTES because too slow! (I want to keep garage temperature low during winter and increase it just when working inside).

Even at that price avoid it! I paid 30$ last year at Home Depot or Rona (don't remember)...
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3031 posts
542 upvotes
The feature set on this thermostat is absolutely amazing. Filter monitor, DST support, automatic vacation mode, adjustable differential setpoints, can be calibrated, provides total energy usage, run time reporting and more . . . all for $30!

And no, no additional 'modules' (beyond a humidifier if you want to increase the humidity in your home and/or an air conditioner if you want to dehumidify) are required to use the humidity control features of the device.

I also like the fact that the backlighting can be changed to reflect the status of the device (heating/cooling/standby) and the energy and filter monitor functions. Note that 'full colour' refers to the backlighting, not the actual display.

If indeed the touchscreen response is as slow as reported that might be a negative, but to be honest, how often do you play with your thermostat? - in fact you should just set it and forget it.

Clearly it is a Chinese device, branded up for Globe (and probably discontinued - the photo is missing from the Globe web site) which is why it is being sold through a liquidation outlet - that alone may speak volumes about quality. Or it may just explain that Globe is in the electrical tchatchkes business and thermostats don't sell well for them.

You pay your money and you take your risk.
Oct 11, 2004
829 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
I have a thermostat that is very similar to this and it is imo a piece of trash. The system will run for far too long because even if you have it set to vary only half a degree the temperature at the thermostat will drop more than a degree before it kicks on as compared to a mercury thermometer. Its a real pain in the ass. This one has two stage heat and one stage cool, mine has three stage heat and two stage cool because I have a geothermal two stage system
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
1542 posts
115 upvotes
i don't know anything about this thermostat but I do recommend a stat that can program your fan and keep fresh air circulating without running the fan constantly. Most stats just offer an auto mode for fan and it activates on a hard-coded interval for a set period of time.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3031 posts
542 upvotes
newdeal wrote:
Sep 27th, 2011 6:53 am
I have a thermostat that is very similar to this and it is imo a piece of trash. The system will run for far too long because even if you have it set to vary only half a degree the temperature at the thermostat will drop more than a degree before it kicks on as compared to a mercury thermometer. Its a real pain in the ass. This one has two stage heat and one stage cool, mine has three stage heat and two stage cool because I have a geothermal two stage system

Well, I suppose to start that this wasn't for you in any case because you have elevated requirements, given the type of plant you have installed - residential 3 stage heating and multistage cooling is fairly rare in Canada.

I'm not suggesting that this is a great (or even a good) thermostat, but it does have a number of features not found on devices costing five times as much and more.

As to being 'trash' because of the hysteresis (bias) - untrue.

Mercury thermostats have quite a bit of hysteresis built into them by default because the weight of the mercury in the bulb delays the bi-metal coil's switch from off to on and back off again - and the heat anticipator (which is a small heating coil under the bulb that heats up when the thermostat is not calling for heating or cooling, intended to accelerate the return to the 'on' position) is fairly unstable because it's effectiveness is affected by local drafts, solar heating and more.

Mercury thermostats also do not enforce compressor cool-down cycles, though I suppose there might be some out there that have mercury bulbs and bi-metal coils tied to electronics that enforce the minimum delays and eliminate 'contact bounce' that occurs that can kill contactors and motors quickly.

Actually for efficiency's sake it is better to run gas, oil and heat pump based (and even on-off (as opposed to variable rate) electric strip heating) systems longer and let the temperature vary somewhat (a degree Fahrenheit isn't much at all, by the way). Because of startup inrush currents and to achieve maximum operating efficiency a system must run for a minimum time to allow it to stabilise. Then there is extra wear & tear associated with startup. Liken it to starting a car for a 3 minute run to the corner. Do that every day and your starter, rings, valves, exhaust and other bits will be complaining before long and your fuel economy will suck badly. On top of that compressors require 'resting time' after a run to allow pressure to bleed off before a restart - no more than 12 starts an hour (usually 5 or 6 and an enforced minimum 5 minute shutoff).
iamdman wrote:
Sep 27th, 2011 8:27 am
i don't know anything about this thermostat but I do recommend a stat that can program your fan and keep fresh air circulating without running the fan constantly. Most stats just offer an auto mode for fan and it activates on a hard-coded interval for a set period of time.
So, how DO you "keep fresh air circulating without running the fan"?

The vast majority of thermostats offer two modes of fan operation only; 'Automatic' and 'Run'.

In automatic mode the thermostat calls for the fan only when the device is also calling for heating or cooling - in other words only when the furnace, heat pump or air conditioner is actively delivering heat or cooling the home. Most often the instant the set-point is reached the system, including the fan is shut down, though some thermostats will allow the fan to 'run on' to scavenge out any heat/cold air that may be in the system and to eliminate condensation on the coils.

Many modern air handlers (as opposed to the thermostat) will run the fan after the call for heat or cooling terminates, but not for long and IMO not long enough. Some allow running the fan at a slower speed when the thermostat is idle - perhaps that is what you are referring to? If so that is a function of the air handler and not the thermostat.

In the 'run' mode the fan runs full speed 24/7 irrespective of the need for heating or cooling. This yields the best comfort and most efficient use of fuel, but the fan itself can cost quite a bit to operate, possibly more than any savings that might be realised by running in that mode . . . . a 3/4 horsepower blower motor will suck more than 550 watts of electricity - that translates into more than $480 plus taxes per year at 10 cents per kilowatt hour just to run the blower.

I have fitted my home system with a pre-run startup delay that keeps the heating and cooling off while allowing the blower to operate for the first 10 minutes or so after the thermostat calls for first stage operation - this allows the air in the home to be stirred. Mine also keeps the blower running for 13 minutes after the fact (the time was determined empirically) to scavenge heated and cooled air and to eliminate condensation on the coils and in the ducts. The point is to reduce the number of start/stop cycles for the blower and compressor - and if the thermostat calls for heating or cooling during the shutdown delay the pre-run delay is bypassed. My system uses a 1 horsepower motor.

Advanced systems require integrated, advanced (and expensive) thermostats that can do things like vary fan speed to maximise system performance (usually only when actively calling for heat or cooling) . . . none of this is a function of a typical less sophisticated system and the additional cost of installing these systems is almost never recovered through savings over the life of the equipment.
Oct 19, 2011
1 posts
STONEY CREEK
I bought this from Factory Direct - IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP !!
Manual is very difficult to read - you have to keep flipping it upside down to get to the next page to read - a reall pain in the ass.
once installed - the buttons don't work half the time - i have recalibrated it 3 times and they still don't work worhth a dime.
Don't bother calling for customer service to either Globe or Factory Direct - both ABSOLUTELY SUCK !!
Globe CS put's you into a loop that ends with "take it back to the retailer you bought it from" - you can't even get to a human to ask any questions.
And Factory Direct - well they are a clearance store that buys crap and tries to sell for dramatically reduced prices - so you can imagine the CS they give - don't even try to talk to someone there - you can't !
Scale of 1 to 10 - i give the product a 1 (the packaging was nice) the customer service a -1 (beyond brutal) and the value a -10 (since the thing doesn't work 90% of the time !)
AVOID - AVOID - AVOID - buy from a reptuable retailer that back their product and not a fly by night like Factory Direct. :mad:
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1577 posts
223 upvotes
markpowell123 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2011 11:02 am
I bought this from Factory Direct - IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP !!
Manual is very difficult to read - you have to keep flipping it upside down to get to the next page to read - a reall pain in the ass.
once installed - the buttons don't work half the time - i have recalibrated it 3 times and they still don't work worhth a dime.
Don't bother calling for customer service to either Globe or Factory Direct - both ABSOLUTELY SUCK !!
Globe CS put's you into a loop that ends with "take it back to the retailer you bought it from" - you can't even get to a human to ask any questions.
And Factory Direct - well they are a clearance store that buys crap and tries to sell for dramatically reduced prices - so you can imagine the CS they give - don't even try to talk to someone there - you can't !
Scale of 1 to 10 - i give the product a 1 (the packaging was nice) the customer service a -1 (beyond brutal) and the value a -10 (since the thing doesn't work 90% of the time !)
AVOID - AVOID - AVOID - buy from a reptuable retailer that back their product and not a fly by night like Factory Direct. :mad:

If your touch panel is broken then I suggest you return it to factory direct and get a replacement. I recall reading in the manual that it comes with a 2 year warranty and it still has a 90 days at factory direct.

Regarding factory direct's customer service. I had to call a few stores to get this thermostat shipped from the warehouse to a local store. *everyone* I spoke to was helpful and polite. when I arrived at the store, the workers knew what I was looking for and helped me out. besides having to wait for a few cashiers to stop gossiping to ring me up (I don't blame them, the store was empty, I was the only customer and it was 1pm on a weekday afternoon), The experience was surprisingly good.

I bought this for $30 in store (I missed the sale by a day) and I'm no electrician, but I was able to remove my existing thermostat and install this one without problems. just make sure to turn off the power to the furnace and A/C. It is a little complicated to setup at first if you're not used to touch screen thermostats but anyone who knows how to use a cell phone should be able to figure it out. It's actually not that hard. the only gotcha is that the thermostat has to be set to AUTO or HEAT/COOL to be able to change the temperatures in daily programs. Oh and taking the thermostat of the back plate was a PITA. the manual says to slide it to one side and it'll pop off. This is false. you have to pry it off. get a putty knife or something to detach the back plate being careful not to snap the plastic.

yes the manual is ******** in the way it's printed but the CONTENT is actually perfectly fine. Here's a link to the PDF so you can print your own with out the upside down pages: http://www.globe-electric.com/pr/IS/59025_IS.pdf

considering the price, I think this is an amazing thermostat. fancy LED backlighting (you can choose 64 colours), full 7 day programming, full pixelgrid LCD, intermittent fan support (though my furnace doesn't work with it unfortunately), reports humidity%, and the closest honeywell or lux or other name brand thermostat with the same feature set costs at least $75+. Usually 100+ too...

The touch panel seems to work well for me but I've only had it installed for a week now (i was lazy and waited a few weeks after buying it before installing it)... I'll report in if the thing starts giving me problems. I did notice I can tap and hold to make rapid button presses. this helps. otherwise, it's like any other basic resistive touchscreen. tap, hear beep, tap again, gotta wait like .25 seconds between taps. it's laggy but nothing deal breaking...

The person complaining the screen responds slow when installed in a garage, this is normal. ANY lcd exposed to near freezing temperatures will freeze and become super slow. leave your iPhone out in the cold and it'll be super sluggish too.
Feb 4, 2011
1 posts
Mississauga ON
Hi, I have 4 wires coming from my existing HVAC to the old thermostat. I have been told by the electrician that this thermostat cannot be installed as I require another wire "C" for power as this unit doesn't have batteries.
I want to know if anyone can assist me to install without the additional 5th wire. I did see a couple of videos but not sure if they should be done this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a_f2_iAW1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKkH2g5a ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BftoUCnK ... re=related

Also does this thermostat require batteries, maybe I was unable to find the slot for batteries.

Thanks!
× < >