Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Hot! Foodsaver Fm5440 vacuum sealer $99.97 in store only

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2019 7:04 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
aphextwin wrote: As having the 5440 and a similar model like the 3940, I would give hands down to the 5440. I'm not hardcore but I use the vacuum sealer at least once a week and also do alot of sous vide too.

The main reason being:
1. The sealing mechanism is automatic and it's actually quite convenient when you have to do like 10 bags in a session.

2. The 5440 has a pulse function to it. This allows you to control the amount of suction at small increments. It doesn't vacuum right away, you just press the pulse and it will suck air abit a time. This has been quite useful for moist or delicate foods where you don't want to completely crush it and need control. It is also perfect for sous vide as well.

3. I also noticed the 5440 seal was quite thicker than the other food saver I had. If someone has both right now, I'd like them to do a seal on both machines and compare.

If point #2 isn't something you do, then go cheaper.
It's interesting that the 3940 is actually more expensive - the regular price is $150 and it's on sale now for $110.
Dec 17, 2017
435 posts
409 upvotes
alpovs wrote: It's interesting that the 3940 is actually more expensive - the regular price is $150 and it's on sale now for $110.
Costco is able to get it at in insanely cheap price even at the regular 190 it use to be.

Foodsaver's website for the FM 5440
it's 299
https://www.foodsaver.ca/en_CA/vacuum-s ... ml#start=1

The difference I see is the the website comes with some more bags and a jar stopper.....maybe worth 30 bucks of accessories but exact same model.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
aphextwin wrote: As having the 5440 and a similar model like the 3940, I would give hands down to the 5440. I'm not hardcore but I use the vacuum sealer at least once a week and also do alot of sous vide too.

The main reason being:
1. The sealing mechanism is automatic and it's actually quite convenient when you have to do like 10 bags in a session.

2. The 5440 has a pulse function to it. This allows you to control the amount of suction at small increments. It doesn't vacuum right away, you just press the pulse and it will suck air abit a time. This has been quite useful for moist or delicate foods where you don't want to completely crush it and need control. It is also perfect for sous vide as well.

3. I also noticed the 5440 seal was quite thicker than the other food saver I had. If someone has both right now, I'd like them to do a seal on both machines and compare.

Thanks for all this info. I will keep my 5440 and buy some more bags at costco as they are on sale.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
1621 posts
320 upvotes
Montreal
Could anyone confirm if this is the normal thickness of the FM3940?

Seems a little thin to me but I can't find an image on the Web to confirm.
Knowledge is power
Jun 27, 2017
345 posts
156 upvotes
Ottawa
My Costco didn't have the 5440 so I purchased the 3940 and the pack of bags ($40 on sale for $30). Will be using to keep foods fresher in freezer and sous-vide. I hope it serves me well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Nitram wrote: Could anyone confirm if this is the normal thickness of the FM3940?

Seems a little thin to me but I can't find an image on the Web to confirm.
Good idea about posting a picture for comparison... I've never been able to find any comparison on the thickness of the seal other than generic statements such as 'extra' thick seal which means nothing. Any comparisons should be made in reference to the 'N' in Canada on the quarter so it's easier to compare.

While I don't have a 5440, I can confirm using a Freshlocker 8" roll that my V3460 has a seal that is approx 2x as thick as the 'N' in Canada. It's possible that the Freshlocker bags do a better seal (ie melt under lower temperatures) than the Foodsavers. If I have time today, I'll see if I can do a comparison with a Foodsaver bag.
Sep 2, 2014
451 posts
184 upvotes

The main reason being:

is the point one the sealing mechanism is automatic and it's actually quite convenient when you have to do like 10 bags in a session for the 5440 or the 3940 model?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just compared the seal on my V3460 using a Foodsaver bag with the quarter as well as the Freshlocker bag. The seal width is identical but the Freshlocker seal seems more uniform. It may be that since the Freshlocker dimples are shallower, the more uniform seal is created as there's not as much of a gap between the surfaces.
Apr 28, 2012
270 posts
362 upvotes
MONTREAL

The main reason being:

#1: I own a 3940 and have made several bags in quick succession, while the sealing process could be somewhat slower, once you get the hang of it, you won't notice much of a difference. The savings in amount of bags though, is quite noticeable. Someone also mentioned a mechanical vs automatic sealing might last you longer.

#2 Simply isn't true. I pointed out in a post earlier than you can press on "Vac / Seal" button on the 3940 and stop the vacuuming at any time, then hit seal.

#3 I have attached pictures of the 3940 seal. The seal thickness looks identical to me compared to the 5440 seal picture on this thread. Reviews on the 3941 model on Costco.com are great and it looks the same as the 3940 model we get here. It's probably the same product but marketed in Canada vs US.
Images
  • IMG_20190204_063457.jpg
  • IMG_20190204_063331.jpg
Apr 28, 2012
270 posts
362 upvotes
MONTREAL
carols110 wrote: Maybe a bit off topic to this thread, Costco has the foodsaver rolls on sales at the moment, came across the deal yesterday at Costco Brossard
$35 in store https://www.costco.ca/Foodsaver-Roll-an ... 41362.html
It was 30.99$ in store and 35.99$ online. But I believe the deal is expired. The freshlocker is still a better value despite this special.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2004
1621 posts
320 upvotes
Montreal
You can use the Freshlocker bags with the Foodsaver machine?

If so, is there more value to using Freshlocker bags vs Foodsaver bags other than price?

ps. i'm a Foodsaver newbie :)

thanks,
Knowledge is power
Apr 28, 2012
270 posts
362 upvotes
MONTREAL
Nitram wrote: You can use the Freshlocker bags with the Foodsaver machine?

If so, is there more value to using Freshlocker bags vs Foodsaver bags other than price?

ps. i'm a Foodsaver newbie :)

thanks,
Yes, the freshlocker bags are praised by many here and are compatible with any foodsaver vacuums. I haven't tried one myself but have only heard good things about them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)