Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Future Shop

HOT? FS: Kingston 2GB DDR2 Laptop or Desktop Memory - $14.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2010 2:20 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Soulsaber wrote: It works perfectly on my 64 bit win 7 beta download on my lowly hp laptop =D
Hopefully, Microsoft provides free upgrades to Windows 7 for current Vista users. Yeah right, as if that will happen.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
litebrite wrote: Thank you! Is the upgrade to 64 bit from 32 bit worthwhile for the 4 gb of ram? I'm not that good w/ computers, so I'm nervous about doing this installation by myself. Just wondering if I'll notice much better performance.
Not enough to justify the effort/risk by the sound of things. I'm very experienced with computers - I've even built quite a few myself - but I wouldn't risk doing this on my main PC. It might be worthwhile trying it out on a backup machine though, if you have one that is modern enough.
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this memory a while back at a higher price when it went on sale ... I have the Dell XPS 1330 ...
Somewhere, I saw that it was mentioned that Dell has some sort of special memory inside and I wouldn't be able to swap one for the other ...

Any ideas on if I could verify this?
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Stock is back up and so is the price. For those whose ISPU's were said to have been filled but did not get any modules once in the store, did you contact:

By phone: 1-800-663-2275

By email: service@futureshop.com

By mail:
Future Shop Canadian Headquarters
Customer Support Dept.
8800 Glenlyon Parkway,
Burnaby, BC V5J 5K3

and ask whether they can ship at the $14.99 price? I was offered the Crucial 2GB ram for the same price (now wondering if the employees had their fill first which is why I was left with but one module when I ordered several for family :confused :) but thought I'd just pose this question. I called earlier today and was informed that because futureshop.ca did not have any stock, she couldn't do anything for me. Now that the stock is back up, I call and a gentleman informs me that I would have to resolve this issue at the store level.
May 27, 2007
16088 posts
4769 upvotes
Toronto
litebrite wrote: Thank you! Is the upgrade to 64 bit from 32 bit worthwhile for the 4 gb of ram? I'm not that good w/ computers, so I'm nervous about doing this installation by myself. Just wondering if I'll notice much better performance.
Tornado F2 wrote: Not enough to justify the effort/risk by the sound of things. I'm very experienced with computers - I've even built quite a few myself - but I wouldn't risk doing this on my main PC. It might be worthwhile trying it out on a backup machine though, if you have one that is modern enough.

I agree with what Tornado said.
I wouldnt upgrade and wipe out my system just so i can utilize the full 4 GB of RAM. I mean, the 3.25 / 3.5 GB is MORE than you will ever need at this point. Maybe you can consider upgrading in a year or 2, but by then you'll probably get a new computer.

PS: my RAM got shipped today :D
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3945 posts
1376 upvotes
Vancouver
AcidBomber wrote: I agree with what Tornado said.
I wouldnt upgrade and wipe out my system just so i can utilize the full 4 GB of RAM. I mean, the 3.25 / 3.5 GB is MORE than you will ever need at this point. Maybe you can consider upgrading in a year or 2, but by then you'll probably get a new computer.

PS: my RAM got shipped today :D
Cool thanks guys. Yeah my laptop is the only computer I got so I dont think I'll go messing with it.
Jul 12, 2004
499 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Went to store last night around 5:20pm and the salesman told me some sob bought all when they started the sale at 5. WTF, I thought this is limited 1 per customer, at least that what it show online when I try to order 2. :mad:
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
DaVibe wrote: I bought this memory a while back at a higher price when it went on sale ... I have the Dell XPS 1330 ...
Somewhere, I saw that it was mentioned that Dell has some sort of special memory inside and I wouldn't be able to swap one for the other ...

The XPS might need higher performance RAM. Your best bet would be to phone or email Dell with the question.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
shutout wrote: Went to store last night around 5:20pm and the salesman told me some sob bought all when they started the sale at 5. WTF, I thought this is limited 1 per customer, at least that what it show online when I try to order 2. :mad:
I don't think FS made sufficient stock available at any of their outlets, including online. Claiming that a single customer took off with the entire stock is an easy way to pass the buck. And even if it was true, for such obviously limited quantities they should have enforced a limit.

The fact that thousands of units suddenly became available after the sale ended shows that they did have plenty of stock available, they just didn't want to honour their advertised doorcrasher deal. They got us into their stores, but did their best not to honour the deal. They could get into serious trouble if the authorities investigate this and determine that they acted illegally. At the very least they should lose the business of customers who took the time to go to their stores at the start of the sale only to find that the advertised product was "unavailable" from the start.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
GeneralDisaray wrote: i dont think they'll budge at BB for PMing...PMing FS for One-day sales never worked for me in the past...

ill just save my time and order on the web from fs.ca
technically speaking, one-day sales are considered "LTO", and they've the right to deny the PM on those grounds

PMs online are less likely to go thru, but your chances might be better if you try instore
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
kaimui22 wrote: has anyone ever considered the fact that....the item you have bought for ISPU might NOT be the one that is going to be on sale?
I mean...they could very well have the sku or serial numbers off by a letter or a number to make it NOT the same item that will be on sale tonight

it might be the same product but they could easily make one and the other 2 different products by altering the product number...

e.g. the one on the website now is 12345 and the one to be on sale could be 12345-a....

if this happens, i don't think anyone can get a pricematch because they will say it's 2 different products..
if anything, they won't change webID/SKUs... it'd be the MFR PNs

i've seen them (b/t FS and BB) where they have identical webIDs but slightly diff. MFR PNs
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote: As I said before, forget the PMing. You're making things much too complicated. A few people amazingly enough did manage to get a PM at BB, but I'm sure many others didn't. For this particular deal $15 was already an excellent price. Why risk missing it on the off chance that you might save a bit more? In future, take the deal as it is and be happy with your purchase. Don't fret about trying to save even more - it's just not worth the aggravation. Besides, the store with the lower price deserves your business. The higher priced store doesn't. Leave it with unsold stock and eventually it will drop its own prices too.
i find it unlikely that BB would have it cleared out for $15 ... but hope i'm wrong.

anyhoo, it's unlikely that price will get any better than $7.XX... that's just too hard to beat :P

------
blakjak wrote: Shortly after the sale ended, there put over 3000 units back in stock. Go figure...
lame...

not only that, but they jacked up their MSRP to $60 now...
MJM

Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2003
1252 posts
130 upvotes
Calgary
wow! no wonder your post count is at 52k posts.... quote them all into one post next time............
Mar 7, 2003
671 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Queensway location last night and they gave me crucial rams(notebook and desktop) instead of the kingston one for the same price. I just told them what kind of customer appreciation day is this if they can't keep their promise? but then again I got a nice FS clerk who was very helpful too.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
mahjongmaniac wrote: technically speaking, one-day sales are considered "LTO", and they've the right to deny the PM on those grounds
mahjongmaniac wrote: i find it unlikely that BB would have it cleared out for $15 ... but hope i'm wrong.

anyhoo, it's unlikely that price will get any better than $7.XX... that's just too hard to beat :P
That's why I'm so amazed that anybody got a successful PM at BB. It was such a drastic difference from their own inflated price, and a limited offer, so it's crazy that some PMs were allowed. Especially considering how FS managed to avoid honouring their own deal, at the price they set, by removing/hiding most of their stock until the sale ended. Very bad business practice if you ask me. But typical of FS.

That said, FS and BB presumably get their Kingston RAM from the same supplier so BB may well strike back with an "anything you can do..."-type retaliation during their next PrefCust sale. And I'll be there trying to PM at FS if they do. :lol: (But only after I've got the RAM I need, at the sale price, from BB first).
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2006
1035 posts
256 upvotes
Waterloo
The new DDR3 memeory will become the mainstream, that's why stores lower down ddr2 memory's price.

Actually you can "fully" use 4GB in 32-bit windows xp/vista system.
Try SuperSpeed's RamDisk plus, you can emulate a partition with that tool by using the unmanaged 3.2GB -- 4GB memory in 32bit windows system. You can use the emulated partition as a cache for your true harddisk by using eBoostr tool.
Mar 7, 2003
671 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Tornado F2 wrote: I don't think FS made sufficient stock available at any of their outlets, including online. Claiming that a single customer took off with the entire stock is an easy way to pass the buck. And even if it was true, for such obviously limited quantities they should have enforced a limit.

The fact that thousands of units suddenly became available after the sale ended shows that they did have plenty of stock available, they just didn't want to honour their advertised doorcrasher deal. They got us into their stores, but did their best not to honour the deal. They could get into serious trouble if the authorities investigate this and determine that they acted illegally. At the very least they should lose the business of customers who took the time to go to their stores at the start of the sale only to find that the advertised product was "unavailable" from the start.
Typical FS business tactic if you ask me. Unfortunately, the reality is nobody will do anything and those people who got empty handed will still be shopping at FS. It's sad but this is Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1078 posts
663 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
lagos wrote: Typical FS business tactic if you ask me. Unfortunately, the reality is nobody will do anything and those people who got empty handed will still be shopping at FS. It's sad but this is Canada.
Not everybody. I told 3 people about my unpleasant experience. Hopefully each one will tell 10 more. Then posted it on RFD for all to see. Then called up customer service and spent 1/2 hour of their (and my) time putting in a complaint. I have decided to use my Persona gift card ($400) at all participating retailers EXCEPT Futureshop and I believe that some of the workers at my wife's company (this stuff gets around at coffee time!) will shun them too when using their gift cards. If not initially resolved to my satisfaction I will escalate until it is resolved. I will not give up. I have nothing to lose but a bit of my time. They have their reputation and $$$ to lose and they don't have the stomach to fight a battle like this, over a couple of sticks of $15 memory.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2322 posts
1546 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: I bought this memory a while back at a higher price when it went on sale ... I have the Dell XPS 1330 ...

I have a XPS M1330 and there's nothing special about the memory. I replaced the memory in mine with some Crucial memory without any problems.

Any PC2-5300 SODIMM memory should work fine in it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
pigqq wrote: The new DDR3 memeory will become the mainstream, that's why stores lower down ddr2 memory's price.

Actually you can "fully" use 4GB in 32-bit windows xp/vista system.
Try SuperSpeed's RamDisk plus, you can emulate a partition with that tool by using the unmanaged 3.2GB -- 4GB memory in 32bit windows system. You can use the emulated partition as a cache for your true harddisk by using eBoostr tool.
Nice. Where can I find more info on using 4GB on 32-bit Vista systems? Thanks pigqq!