Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1360 posts
692 upvotes
Scarborough
Pauly Boy wrote: lololol.

With what? The Skyactiv was not designed with anything in mind other than squeezing fuel economy out of the existing larger displacement 4-cylinder engines because they don’t have the R&D or $$$ to go the hybrid route or downsizing & sourcing new parts like everyone else.

The compression is far too high (PS - That’s how they squeezed those “OMG 50MPG!!!” numbers out of it). There is no way to add a snail economically (or without it blowing up) onto something already operating at 14:1 compression.
awd turbo diesel ;)
Banned
Dec 3, 2014
105 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Meh.

Torontonians shouldn't be looking at high powered or exotic cars. Waste of money. 401 and DVP are parking lots year round. Average speed during morning/evening is 70kph if you are lucky. Snow from Nov-April, drive 40kph on highways.

Not to mention lack of any driving skill. People who can't drive appliances like Corollas shouldn't even be allowed to look at expensive cars.

I used to salivate over these cool, high powered cars. Then I realized that I live in a shythole province, and can't have nice things. Insurance alone on that "hot hatch" would be $500.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
STCman wrote: awd turbo diesel ;)
They can't even bring the regular diesel here after a year+, so I'm not holding my breath. Factor in the diesel will already be a substantial price jump in the regular model cars - I can only imagine the cost outfitted into a loaded AWD, turbo hatch.

Plus the real big issue is the bean counters - With their restructuring there is simply no room for any low-volume, low-margin vehicles.

Don't get me wrong, I have long been a Mazda fan, but the taste has soured as of late. I really hope they prove my ramblings wrong in the near future & bring back the Speed division & RX (Wankel or not), but I'm not holding my breath.

I DIGRESS THOUGH. One of these would be amazing & they certainly have it Golf R beat in the looks department (IMO), but the price, ugh the price...$40k+ easily is a tough pill to swallow.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
phenomkid78 wrote: Meh.

Torontonians shouldn't be looking at high powered or exotic cars. Waste of money. 401 and DVP are parking lots year round. Average speed during morning/evening is 70kph if you are lucky. Snow from Nov-April, drive 40kph on highways.

Not to mention lack of any driving skill. People who can't drive appliances like Corollas shouldn't even be allowed to look at expensive cars.

I used to salivate over these cool, high powered cars. Then I realized that I live in a shythole province, and can't have nice things. Insurance alone on that "hot hatch" would be $500.
So why do people buy the golf R? I see plenty of fast cars in Toronto.

Besides there are people who chip their St, gti, speed3, ect. The RS will be cool. No one makes a big deal about the Golf R bein here.

If it's 40k it will sell well I think. But you have to consider the 370 started at $38k so I don't know if people would ditch a true sports coupe for a hot hatch.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Supercooled wrote: So why do people buy the golf R? I see plenty of fast cars in Toronto.

Besides there are people who chip their St, gti, speed3, ect. The RS will be cool. No one makes a big deal about the Golf R bein here.

If it's 40k it will sell well I think. But you have to consider the 370 started at $38k so I don't know if people would ditch a true sports coupe for a hot hatch.
Jelly drivers are jelly ;) But seriously, yeah insurance, gas, tires, etc. will be more expensive, but nothing in life is awesome and inexpensive. You gotta pay to play, and for some people (who don't rely on mom and dad's bank account) it is worth the extra cost.

There are plenty of interesting cars at sub $40k for sure, but for people like me who can only have one car (the other car is the DD Volt, no more parking space left), a practical hatchback that can still put a smile on your face on the track, yet be comfortable enough to drive friends/family downtown for an evening out or carpooling with some buddies to play drop in hockey, its really a nice compromise. There are flaws, but it is what it is.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1360 posts
692 upvotes
Scarborough

You know there are tracks we can go to..
And insurance is actually not that much with a good record.
You are missing out with your pessimistic perspective.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
STCman wrote: You know there are tracks we can go to..
For real. Plus there are lovely, curving back roads all over the province (e.g., Kawarthas, Halton, Ottawa, etc.). Insurance is also not awful if you have a good record. I was quoted about $148 a month on a Golf GTI (> 24 year old male with a clean record) and I expect this class of cars to be about 15% - 20% more.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
STCman wrote: You know there are tracks we can go to..
You have a point, but... Honestly, the tracks around the GTA are garbage compared to the USA or Europe. Or, you have to drive to Calabogie Motorsports, and that's approx 380 kms from Toronto... too much effort and $$$... Just my 2 cents.
unshavenyak wrote: For real. Plus there are lovely, curving back roads all over the province (e.g., Kawarathas, Halton, Ottawa, etc.). Insurance is also not awful if you have a good record. I was quoted about $148 a month on a Golf GTI (> 24 year old male with a clean record) and I expect this class of cars to be about 15% - 20% more.
I think the point was that you cannot go fast, either because of congestion, or because enforcement and huge fines for speeding. Driving licences suspended and seized vehicles? No thank you!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes

It is not all about top speed, it is enjoying the driving experience, and that is not done on the 401. I love my Fiesta ST, way more fun than driving my old G35 and insurance is similar.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: For real. Plus there are lovely, curving back roads all over the province (e.g., Kawarathas, Halton, Ottawa, etc.). Insurance is also not awful if you have a good record. I was quoted about $148 a month on a Golf GTI (> 24 year old male with a clean record) and I expect this class of cars to be about 15% - 20% more.
this
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1360 posts
692 upvotes
Scarborough
Yup forgot about that.
I love going on cruises up north, we do it a few times every summer, its always a blast.

Forks of credit, southwood, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
motomondo wrote: You have a point, but... Honestly, the tracks around the GTA are garbage compared to the USA or Europe. Or, you have to drive to Calabogie Motorsports, and that's approx 380 kms from Toronto... too much effort and $$$... Just my 2 cents.
Because Mosport ain't *****?

It ain't the Nurburgring (which I've been on twice), but even Mosport DDT is pretty fun.
Considering that we have 4 tracks within a couple hour's drive of the GTA, we're doing pretty good.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
aznblitz wrote: Nice too see automakers giving the hot hatch a revival in North America

Now is the time for honda to bring the civic type r here
That'd be nice.
Hopefully they won't bastardize it. But knowing honda these days... It'll have a -1.0 engine with 2hp and a mash potato suspension.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14471 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
UrbanPoet wrote: That'd be nice.
Hopefully they won't bastardize it. But knowing honda these days... It'll have a -1.0 engine with 2hp and a mash potato suspension.
You nailed it.

Look closely at that car...the decal says Earthdreams....which translates into lame boring cars for squares. Remember the early spy pics of the CRZ...yay...when it came out...boo.. And they refused to save it by offering a reasonable gas engine option with any driving excitement. Then some late to the party way overpriced supercharger kit. A 200hp gas engine and well tuned suspension at a reasonable price...it would have sold like hot cakes. But they stuck to their guns and killed it. Such is the state of Honda.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Anonymouse wrote: I'd rather have a used 2008-2009 Cayman S for the money they will probably ask for it.
Can't really compare used market to new though. If everyone did, there wouldn't be a market for hot hatches and it'll die out :(
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14471 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
KevC wrote: Can't really compare used market to new though. If everyone did, there wouldn't be a market for hot hatches and it'll die out :(
Good point...and I think that is what happened historically over here whereas in the UK the market has been strong. There has to be a reason to make the performance amazing yet return some sort of profit. Or else you will end up with the base model with some cosmetics to look fast with base model performance. Unfortunately, that seems to be what people over here go for.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
$45k there is lots of options for small sports cars..
Jan 11, 2008
646 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
cliff wrote: I wonder if they will kill it, like they did the probe when it got too close to the mustang (and gm to the fiero when it was catching up to the vette)
I doubt it, only because a few years ago Ford (finally) recognized that there are people that won't touch the Mustang, or the Focus (or FWD variants) for whatever reason. Plus, the business case would now have to be there for the RS to get the "global" green light. Some key parts are already out there i.e. EcoBoost engine being produced for the Mustang, and the Focus platform is already worldwide and full use. So, the additional costs aren't as bad as it was, say, five or six years ago, with North America and Europe running different platforms for the same car.

The possibility of an RS is really peaking my interest, especially if it becomes AWD. I am going to assume it will hit under $45K with taxes and fees, if you load it all up. It's just a bit hard to justify the cost of that versus wanting to do the basement, and if mortgage rates start creeping up. Still, I love the choice.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)