None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3134 posts
213 upvotes

Hot water comes out slow from all faucets

Hi

I was wondering if anyone ever had this problem. The hot water is coming out rather slow from all faucets in the house. This tells me it's not one single faucet clogged. It's all of them. The cold water comes out nice and fast. (as it should normally). The hot water never used to be like this. Something tells me that somewhere (hot water tank?) something is clogging up. Anyone have some insight?
13 replies
Nov 24, 2004
966 posts
84 upvotes
New hot water tanks usually have a scald guard valve, as required by code. That might be limiting your flow. I've heard of that happening before.

I installed my own tank and that mixing valve is strangely abscent. :)

CM
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
CanadianMoFo wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2010 8:56 am
I installed my own tank and that mixing valve is strangely abscent. :)

CM
You did the gas connections yourself? Just soap test after, or did you have it inspected?
This space for rent
Feb 2, 2007
82 posts
6 upvotes
check the main shut off valve to your house?

old pipes? copper ? calcium build up?
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1591 posts
66 upvotes
probably hot water tank outlet or possibly feed-line.

First simple thing I would try is to train the hot water tank from its lowest spigot and hope to flush any sediment that may be against the outlet screen causing the restriction. If that doesn't resolve it, you may be having to disconnect and test the lines in/out of the tank.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3134 posts
213 upvotes
Thanks for the ideas guys. The pipes are copper, the hot water tank is gas and I guess is 10+ years old now. It's a rental tank from Enbridge. I wonder if they would service the tank for this? I do suspect it's a calcium build up somewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3134 posts
213 upvotes
Would it hurt to put some CLR or vinegar in the bottom of the tank to try and flush out some stuff?
May 15, 2006
33 posts
We had the exact same problem this last weekend. No pressure at all on the hot water side of the faucets but cold water pressure was fine. So from some research on the internet, I turned off our gas water heater and turned of the cold water inlet to the tank. Then I connected the garden hose to the the hot water tank and flushed out the water. When the flush was almost complete, I flicked the pressure release lever on the tank a couple of times.

After that I turned on the cold water inlet into the tank and switched on the tank/gasline again. And vola - the hot water pressure was back....

Can't believe it work :) as I have never even heard of flushing the hot water tank in my life :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3134 posts
213 upvotes
Yes I am going to try this on thursday.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Jungle wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2010 7:28 pm
Thanks for the ideas guys. The pipes are copper, the hot water tank is gas and I guess is 10+ years old now. It's a rental tank from Enbridge. I wonder if they would service the tank for this? I do suspect it's a calcium build up somewhere.
call them.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4285 posts
300 upvotes
Jungle wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2010 7:28 pm
If it's rental just call them. They should fix anything
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3134 posts
213 upvotes
I called them now. Tank is rented from Direct Energy but billed on behalf of Enbridge. A guy will come out for free to investigate the problem, however, flushing the tank is not covered in the rental agreement. I would have to pay him to flush the tank. I think I will try flushing it myself first. If that fails, then I call for the professionals to help.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25446 posts
2676 upvotes
Ottawa
Jungle wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2010 8:24 pm
Would it hurt to put some CLR or vinegar in the bottom of the tank to try and flush out some stuff?
You have no place to put the clr, there is no cap or anything plus, it is not a good idea.
Jungle wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 2:06 am
Yes I am going to try this on thursday.
This is the first thing you should do. If there is sludge in the bottom of the tank, there is not enough water in the tank to give you proper pressure.
You turn off the cold inlet water and drain the tank completely. Close the tap and then fill the tank with water again and repeat. Do this until the water runs clear.
Jungle wrote:
Aug 4th, 2010 5:58 pm
I called them now. Tank is rented from Direct Energy but billed on behalf of Enbridge. A guy will come out for free to investigate the problem, however, flushing the tank is not covered in the rental agreement. I would have to pay him to flush the tank. I think I will try flushing it myself first. If that fails, then I call for the professionals to help.
Direct Energy (Enbridge) are the experts. If the tank is more than 10 years old, demand a new one or demand they fix it. If you flushed it, that is all you can do as a customer. They own the tank so they must fix it.
If they won't tell them you will call one of the "other" guys to come and remove the Direct Energy tank and install one of theirs. You should get action real quick.
× < >