Travel

hotel, hostel, or Airbnb?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2018 5:45 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Hotel, Hostel, or Airbnb? which do you prefer to use?

• Total votes: 38. You have voted on this poll.
Hotel

66%
Hostel

11%
Airbnb

24%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2774 posts
367 upvotes
Vaughan

hotel, hostel, or Airbnb?

Just wondering what your everyone on rfd prefers to use. I personally use Airbnb for most of my travels. I think they're great, and save me the cost of hotels. Stayed at a hostel once, not my thing. Cheap, but i stayed in a room full of other people. Didn't like that type of atomsphere, and the bathrooms were shared.

So what's your preference, and why?
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
Depends on location and price. I mainly use booking.com. AirBnb seems to have good options, but I always find an equivalent property for a bit cheaper on booking.com.

Not all hostels are dorm arrangements with shared bathrooms. We've stayed at plenty of hostels with a private room, private bathroom, linens and breakfast include, etc. I find that it really varies depending on location.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1197 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Airbnb is usually the first place I look at for accommodation, but sometimes there are not many options and we end up in a hotel. If it's only for one night or so (after a concert for example), we mostly stay at hotels, although we've stayed in AirBnB's as well, if they allow a one night booking.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1082 posts
383 upvotes
toronto
can't really afford Airbnb they night, but for a 2 weeks break they are my choice. mostly small hostels, away from the crowd, look for high rating overall, but low "fun " rating usually means decent sleep.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3487 posts
406 upvotes
I loved hostels during my early 20's when I backpacked around Europe for several months, and in Australia / New Zealand a few years later. The best hostels I've been in were in New Zealand.

Now that I am older, I prefer Airbnb since it gives you insight on how local people live. You get to see inside the local buildings, which tend to have a different layout compared to the modern condos in Canada. Like in Europe, there are these small quaint lifts that can barely fit 3 people and are probably not legal in Canada for safety reasons. And the traditional residential buildings in Europe tend to have courtyards in the middle. And because most of the properties tend to be lived-in, it has a lot more character than the sterile environment of a generic, big-chain hotel room.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4040 posts
1217 upvotes
If you love your city, I would suggest NOT supporting AirBnB. People who live in the best cities all around the world including right here in Canada are losing their quality of life due to Airbnb's business practices and their unwillingness to uphold the standards they pretend to maintain to the outside world. They try to convince City officials to let them do business in their cities but have no care or concern for the negative impacts it creates on the locals. It's a personal decision I know but it is something that starts off seeming harmless but slowly turns into an out of control situation for the locals. Just google what happened in Barcelona. And Barcelona claims they are terrified of becoming Venice. If you love your City, consume wisely and support businesses that are more ethical and upstanding.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1203 posts
561 upvotes
I find Airbnb is only cheaper than hotels if you're not renting entire place or you have more than 2 ppl (e.g. need 2+ rooms if for hotel)

It depends on location/city and who I'm traveling with, in Europe, theres lots of Airbnb that are basically hotels where it's an entire floor with several rooms and amenities similar to hotel including daily housekeeping

My preference is hotels first due to convenience
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4072 posts
927 upvotes
Toronto
Hotels, as the wife doesn't trust AirBnBs (as in, the property owners, not the company).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1820 posts
585 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
According to one of our RFD members, AirBnB is a criminal organization. So stay away from them.
Diversity is Our Burden
May 13, 2009
496 posts
8 upvotes
Depends on the situation for me. If I'm alone, definitely hostels because it let's me meet people and join up on various activities with the hostel. If I'm not, then it's a price / location comparison between hotels and airbnb.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1082 posts
383 upvotes
toronto
Gboard2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 3:33 pm
I find Airbnb is only cheaper than hotels if you're not renting entire place or you have more than 2 ppl (e.g. need 2+ rooms if for hotel)

It depends on location/city and who I'm traveling with, in Europe, theres lots of Airbnb that are basically hotels where it's an entire floor with several rooms and amenities similar to hotel including daily housekeeping

My preference is hotels first due to convenience
see for me it's the opposite. when hotels start having location in off centre neighbourhoods, and decent cooking facilities I might consider them.

as much as I have issues with the impact of AirBNB, it's strange that the hotel industry still has not catered to the needs of people who use airBnB. I do try and get private rooms, and small apartments that don't look like an Ikea catalogue
May 11, 2008
509 posts
161 upvotes
Vancouver
I've typically used just hotels and hostels...only once have I ever stayed at an Airbnb.
I prefer staying in hostels just because you get to meet a lot of people that way but the older I get the more often I stay in hotels.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9297 posts
1856 upvotes
Markham
Manatus wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 9:52 pm
Hotels, as the wife doesn't trust AirBnBs (as in, the property owners, not the company).
+1 , I stick with Hotel as well.
Hear stories about Airbnb's, they (the property owner) cancelled your booked 2 days prior and left you find an alternative in the last minute when price and choices are super limited.

I agree that sometimes Airbnb is a better deal, but a probability of things goes wrong is also bigger.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1449 posts
537 upvotes
Hotel most of the time.

AirBnB when cost is a consideration.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
6250 posts
2377 upvotes
Kootenays
choclover wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:52 am
If you love your city, I would suggest NOT supporting AirBnB. People who live in the best cities all around the world including right here in Canada are losing their quality of life due to Airbnb's business practices and their unwillingness to uphold the standards they pretend to maintain to the outside world. They try to convince City officials to let them do business in their cities but have no care or concern for the negative impacts it creates on the locals. It's a personal decision I know but it is something that starts off seeming harmless but slowly turns into an out of control situation for the locals. Just google what happened in Barcelona. And Barcelona claims they are terrified of becoming Venice. If you love your City, consume wisely and support businesses that are more ethical and upstanding.
Also consider calling places you've found on booking.com, etc directly. These outfits charge owners 15% and once you're in their system, if it doesn't work out for the owner and they try to drop them, they will often hijack the listing and report the property as "unavailable" insinuating that it's fully booked, but what it really means is the commission in unavailable to booking.com. They have very shady business practices.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)