• Jul 20th, 2017 10:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
289 posts
64 upvotes
Mississauga

Hotel points

Do you get hotel points and benefits (eg, from gold status) when you reserve through a third party site like booking.com? When I reserved through Hotwire in the past I wasn't awarded points for the stay and wondering about other 3rd party sites.
21 replies
Feb 7, 2017
524 posts
296 upvotes
No.

Hotel Loyalty Programs stopped that practice a few years ago.

Consequently, Third Party Booking Sites are not the bargain they used to be (mostly now off loading rooms in a hotel that would go unsold... Ie, the worst located rooms. And you are buying an AS IS product, no real recourse)

Hotel Loyalty Programs are where it is at now for overall value.

Hotels will generally match or better anything you find elsewhere on line if you carry their Loyalty Cards.

Plus you get extra / hidden perks as a Member... PLUS Points.

My best advice, find a hotel you like online, at a price you like. Book direct with the Hotel's website... Or call the Front Desk. Be as loyal as you can to one brand (best benefits come as you go up the tiers). But if you are an infrequent traveller that doesn't matter so much.

And lastly, keep an eye on your loyalty programs & accumulated points. Check for BONUS events / sign up before you book. Watch your points, try not to let them deactivate... Lots of ways to do that (see each website). Cause in the long run points are worth something... Even if it is not a FREE Hotel Stay (Merchandse - Gift Cards = Gas, Shopping, Restaurants... OR the ability to move them to other Loyalty Programs you use more regularly)
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
289 posts
64 upvotes
Mississauga
Thank you for your reply PointsHubby. Very helpful.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
I have booked through Expedia and Trivago and once I get the reservation number I call the hotel to "confirm" my reservation and inform them of my loyalty number. I always get "points" or loyalty credits for the stay.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
289 posts
64 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:13 am
I have booked through Expedia and Trivago and once I get the reservation number I call the hotel to "confirm" my reservation and inform them of my loyalty number. I always get "points" or loyalty credits for the stay.
That's interesting. I want to take advantage of the booking.com promo $40 off of $80 or more but still be awarded loyalty points and my gold status benefits.

Thank you, I will try this.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
looking4deals1 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:54 am
That's interesting. I want to take advantage of the booking.com promo $40 off of $80 or more but still be awarded loyalty points and my gold status benefits.

Thank you, I will try this.
You may also want to try calling the hotel and letting them know what the 3rd party deal is and ask if they will match it. I personally like to deal directly and almost always they will match.
I use 3rd party when booking flights, hotels and car combined or combinations of them if the price is right. Oh and, I get my loyalty points for them too, sometimes just at the counter.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6624 posts
1276 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 8:13 am
YMMV.

I had booked a Wyndham hotel thru 3rd party (because I had points and wanted to use them up), the hotel wouldn't give points.

Had booked Marriot hotel in Key Largo with BMO's expedia (using BMO's WE MC's points), and they did not give Marriott points.

Also recently booked a Hertz car, getting a good rate from expedia, and Hertz would not give points.

Yes sometimes they will match the rates from 3rd party, sometimes they won't.

So YMMV in booking thru 3rd party for getting points.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
Arrgh wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 1:17 pm
YMMV.

I had booked a Wyndham hotel thru 3rd party (because I had points and wanted to use them up), the hotel wouldn't give points.

Had booked Marriot hotel in Key Largo with BMO's expedia (using BMO's WE MC's points), and they did not give Marriott points.

Also recently booked a Hertz car, getting a good rate from expedia, and Hertz would not give points.

Yes sometimes they will match the rates from 3rd party, sometimes they won't.

So YMMV in booking thru 3rd party for getting points.
Sorry for your experiences. I guess I have been lucky.

BTW, how did you like Marriott Key Largo Resort? We spent week there a few years back. Had a great time
May 13, 2014
329 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 12:06 pm
You may also want to try calling the hotel and letting them know what the 3rd party deal is and ask if they will match it. I personally like to deal directly and almost always they will match.
I use 3rd party when booking flights, hotels and car combined or combinations of them if the price is right. Oh and, I get my loyalty points for them too, sometimes just at the counter.
Given that this is 2017 and hotels have wised up to the existence of OTAs undercutting them and as a result pretty much every hotel has a best available rate guarantee these days, is there any reason not to book via the front desk instead of an OTA? Booking directly via the hotel avoids all of the snafus that make for vacation horror stories, and I can't think of any cons.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26956 posts
3456 upvotes
Ottawa
Raident wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:52 pm
Given that this is 2017 and hotels have wised up to the existence of OTAs undercutting them and as a result pretty much every hotel has a best available rate guarantee these days, is there any reason not to book via the front desk instead of an OTA? Booking directly via the hotel avoids all of the snafus that make for vacation horror stories, and I can't think of any cons.
Like I mentioned, I use 3rd party sites as a travel agent....primarily shopping. To see if I can do better particularly if buying entire vacations, flights, hotels and cars. Expedia has been good for me in that respect. At times, I have gotten pretty good deals through them.
May 13, 2014
329 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 7:11 pm
Like I mentioned, I use 3rd party sites as a travel agent....primarily shopping. To see if I can do better particularly if buying entire vacations, flights, hotels and cars. Expedia has been good for me in that respect. At times, I have gotten pretty good deals through them.
I book everything separately, to the extent that this May I flew to Taipei on EVA Air on a 1 way ticket, and came back to Canada via Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific on another 1 way ticket.

But I'm sure I'm the oddball here - most people are more like you and prefer the convenience of packages :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6624 posts
1276 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 3:12 pm
Sorry for your experiences. I guess I have been lucky.

BTW, how did you like Marriott Key Largo Resort? We spent week there a few years back. Had a great time
We didn't stay at the Marriott Key Largo Resort, we stayed at the Courtyard. It's the one right by the channel, and next to the Holiday Inn. We stayed there because we like to go scuba diving, and Rainbow dive op and their boats are right there. For the resort, we went by to take a look. It looks good but I also saw reviews of people saying the beach is tiny. In Key Largo, those 2 Marriott hotels have gone way up in category, and the points needed are now too high imo.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13690 posts
4257 upvotes
Raident wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 6:52 pm
Third party sites can have their own loyalty programs as well - such as Hotels.com "Welcome Rewards" program. This, combined with cashback offers on ebates/gcr/etc. that are often more generous for third party sites can lead to actual savings for travelers that do not care about a chain's loyalty program.

Mistakes are made at every booking channel - whether it is at the hotel or via a third party. You have the ability to confirm your booking made via third party, and at that point you know whether the hotel received it and has your booking. At that point, most likely any mistake made is on the hotel - which means it could be made with a direct booking.

There are advantages to loyalty programs, no doubt about it. For example if you are a frequent traveler the points you accumulate can help you obtain a room during an expensive time of year. You can also get great sign up offers through their credit cards. But to do a fair comparison you must acknowledge the benefits of the third party loyalty programs too.
May 13, 2014
329 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Well, do third party loyalty programs offer things like free upgrades to suites, club lounge access, late checkout, and free breakfast to their elites? Those are the kinds of things that make hotel loyalty programs rewarding - free nights are certainly nice, but that's merely the gateway to the actual amenities that elites receive for their loyalty. Heck, over on FlyerTalk a lot of people will actually choose to pay cash over redeeming points even in cases where they'd get a huge discount on the room rate if, for instance, it's close to the end of the year and they need a couple more nights to qualify for the next tier of elite status for the following year.
Feb 7, 2017
524 posts
296 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:23 pm
Third party sites can have their own loyalty programs as well - such as Hotels.com "Welcome Rewards" program. This, combined with cashback offers on ebates/gcr/etc. that are often more generous for third party sites can lead to actual savings for travelers that do not care about a chain's loyalty program.

Mistakes are made at every booking channel - whether it is at the hotel or via a third party. You have the ability to confirm your booking made via third party, and at that point you know whether the hotel received it and has your booking. At that point, most likely any mistake made is on the hotel - which means it could be made with a direct booking.

There are advantages to loyalty programs, no doubt about it. For example if you are a frequent traveler the points you accumulate can help you obtain a room during an expensive time of year. You can also get great sign up offers through their credit cards. But to do a fair comparison you must acknowledge the benefits of the third party loyalty programs too.
True, 3rd Party Booking Sites have started offering their own points programs, typically where the Traveller BOOKS so many times / stays, then they get a free night / stay.

So ya for the occasional infrequent Traveller there could indeed be some value found in these programs (assuming that there is no expiry clause)

But I am with @Raident the real value is found in Hotel Loyalty Programs... For all the reasons they listed.

Points are nice, but it the other perks that really bring me back time & time again...

Example, I am a mid tier member, I book a Standard Room for $ 100, and at check in I am given a Jr Suite. Value of said room in the $ 300 range. Nice perk.