Travel

Hotel suggestions for Cartagena, Colombia?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 1:15 am
[OP]
Jan 5, 2013
14 posts
2 upvotes
ottawa

Hotel suggestions for Cartagena, Colombia?

Will be travelling through a few cities (Bogota / Cartagena / Medellin) in Colombia in January and would appreciate recommendations for hotels (Walled City etc) and day trip ideas for Cartagena. I have researched on TripAdvisor but no hotel or location in Cartagena has really stood out. Anyone stay there recently?

Thanks,
6 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30853 posts
5692 upvotes
Ottawa
I have been to Cartagena twice, during cruise stops and only one day each time so certainly not an expert but, my impression is not a good one. We did private tours both times and got to see all parts of the city. There is no way I would choose to go there for any amount of time otherwise.
Yes, there is the "walled city" tourist attraction, also the Castillo San Felipe de Barajas but then, that is it.
There is the Getsameni (?) district , where I would stay, if staying there at all. A hotel there is quite modern and looked clean. There are some beaches around them as well.
The rest, to me, was dangerous looking and very dirty.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Jul 9, 2017
7 posts
4 upvotes
Titan17 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 3:29 am
Will be travelling through a few cities (Bogota / Cartagena / Medellin) in Colombia in January and would appreciate recommendations for hotels (Walled City etc) and day trip ideas for Cartagena. I have researched on TripAdvisor but no hotel or location in Cartagena has really stood out. Anyone stay there recently?

Thanks,
I took the family there last summer and we absolutely loved it. There is a ton of competition amongst hotels, so rates are good. We opted for the Hyatt, which is a new build, walkable to the Old City, and with great rooms and amenities. My kids still talk about the breakfast on an outdoor balcony, overlooking the ocean.

If you are there for more than a couple of days, consider a day trip to Palenque, if the history and culture there interest you.
Feb 10, 2010
943 posts
387 upvotes
Ajax, ON
OP, it all depend of what kind of hotel and what area of Cartagena you want to stay, there are dozens of good hotels in Cartagena but my vote is for:

Intercontinental Cartagena
Hotel Sofitel Legend Cartagena
Hotel Bastion Luxury Hotel

Hope this helps
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1525 posts
547 upvotes
Tokyo
Another vote for Sofitel/Hyatt mentioned above.

There is also a Conrad, which is another brand that I personally like to stay at, nowhere as nice as Sofitel however.
Mar 30, 2009
789 posts
306 upvotes
I've stayed at the Hotel Las Americas which is just outside the city. It's a resort hotel - great if you are traveling with kids. And it's a really short cab ride to the Walled City.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7344 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto
I spent a few days in Cartagena but it was after some long nights in Medellin so we weren't looking to do much. Stayed at El Viajero hostel in a private room with A/C. Great location and you def need a/c in Cartagena as it's hot. It was the most expensive private room hostel we stayed at if I recall around $100 a night but we were close to xmas at the time and USD=CAD at the time.

We did Playa blanca, it's a morning boat trip but nice. You can rent a small beach shack (a tarp over a basic structure) and chill for the day, the locals walk up and down the beach selling seafood, crafts and beers. If you are good at negotiating you can pick your "favorites" and only work with them and get a good price on cold beer brought regularly and fresh seafood. Low ball the jetski guy at the end of the day, they'll take almost any offer just before the boats start heading back.

The city itself is nice to walk through as it's a unique beautiful old town.

As someone who generally has positive things to say about Colombia, I will say it is one of the more dangerous cities that tourists would go to (there are all sorts of dangerous parts of Colombia that tourists just wouldn't end up). I'd say part of it is that huge cruise ships that dock. I wanted to go to Colombia and Cartagena was one of my destinations. I feel part f the problem is people who are not backpackers but just cruisers (no disrespect) end up wandering the streets and are easy prey. "Oh where we docking today? cart a geee na?" However nothing happened to us and I felt safe, but I'm a backpacker not a cruiser. I only say this because backpackers find themselves transiting through major cities (aka dumps) as part of the bus system or moving around less conventional tourist routes.

It's also one of the more expensive parts of Colombia and as a Canadian tourist the locals will figure you think in USD and price accordingly so it sucks extra for us with the crappy loonie.

There are some tours of the Mangroves you can do which I did not.

If you have time you can bus to Tagagna / Santa Marta and go see Parc Tyrona. I didn't go but it's supposed to be beautiful.

Regardless as I've said before, despite the negative wrap Colombia gets, it is a wonderful place and among my favorites in South America.

Cartagena is also very sweaty hot.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)