Travel

Hotels with late (4pm or later) checkout in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 1:55 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg

Hotels with late (4pm or later) checkout in Toronto?

I am looking for options for hotels offering very late checkouts (4pm or later) in Toronto (preferably downtown or somewhere close to the subway lines).

So far, I am considering Marriott and Starwood properties since my AmEx Business Platinum card gives me Gold status there with one of the perks being late checkouts... though things are not 100% clear with what exactly Marriott means by "guaranteed", see http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -checkout/ for example - if anybody has any experience with this please comment.

Are there any other options?
33 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Stock R wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 6:22 pm
I am Marriott gold. You just request 4pm checkout with th front desk. It's guaranteed so no issues. I do it all the time.
Thanks, but I need that guarantee at the time of booking (will be with small children), and my choice of the hotel will depend on whether this option is available or not. Also, if you read the article that I linked to in my OP, you'll see that Marriott sometimes says "no" when people (Gold and Plat) request that "guaranteed" late checkout at the front desk.. so I just want to make sure that I am not kicked out of the hotel at 11am :)
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3717 posts
278 upvotes
Scarborough
Stock R wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 6:22 pm
I am Marriott gold. You just request 4pm checkout with th front desk. It's guaranteed so no issues. I do it all the time.
It's not guaranteed. Though I've never been denied a late check out as a platinum, they once could only offer me till 2pm because they were sold out.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3717 posts
278 upvotes
Scarborough
No hotel is going to guarantee you a late check out. It's safer to book a cheaper hotel and stay for 2 nights.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
GateGuardian wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 7:44 pm
No hotel is going to guarantee you a late check out. It's safer to book a cheaper hotel and stay for 2 nights.
From http://spg.com/fullterms (Starwood T&C):

Guaranteed Late Checkout
Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort, conference center, and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability.

Sounds like a guarantee to me (unless it is a resort, conf. center or a convention hotel), or does Starwood not follow its own policy?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7807 posts
2705 upvotes
Toronto
Just go Airbnb for 2 nights.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 8:06 pm
Just go Airbnb for 2 nights.
Yep.. considering booking for 2 nights.. seems like a waste though since we'll only need this for around 15 hours, and decent airbnbs downtown are around $300/night (aren't they supposed to be cheaper?). Why the heck is Toronto so expensive these days?.. though it's probably a discussion for a different thread :)
Oct 5, 2010
344 posts
143 upvotes
I seen on Shark Tank or Dragons den there was a company where you could book hotels from 11am - 4pm . If you can't get a late check maybe check into it.
May 28, 2012
9388 posts
1754 upvotes
Saskatoon
I don't have credit cards with these special privileges but almost every time I've requested late checkout, they've said no. They were able to keep my luggage in a secured room though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto
What exactly is the reason to need a room till 4pm, with children?

Most of those premium (SPG or full service Marriott) hotels allow you to store luggage with them (no charge) after you check out. You can still hang around the hotel facilities after check-out, just let them know first. You can still use the washrooms. Once I arranged to use the pool with my kids, till 3pm (checked-out the room).

The possible problem with some of those premium hotels is they are also conference center or convention hotels, if they are downtown and/or on the subway line. So a 1 or 2pm is often ok. 4pm is pushing the limit and those conference hotels may say no.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1105 posts
324 upvotes
New York City
I'm a Plat100 member with SPG and Marriott and have had late checkout DENIED plenty of time, on occasion where the hotel is sold out.
Last edited by McKinsey on Jun 3rd, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ok, thank you all. Sounds like there are no better options than trying to get the late checkout with Marriott/SPG. I'll try to get a guarantee by phone/email from them (at the time of booking) that I'll be able to checkout at least at 4pm.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3169 posts
559 upvotes
London
mbmbkop wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 7:25 am
Ok, thank you all. Sounds like there are no better options than trying to get the late checkout with Marriott/SPG. I'll try to get a guarantee by phone/email from them (at the time of booking) that I'll be able to checkout at least at 4pm.
Can you confirm if you can get it, thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
973 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 7:25 am
They won't guarantee it over the phone. The hotel may need the room and check in time for guests arriving is 3pm. So no they won't let you stay in the room until 4 if they have someone else checking in that day who could be there before then. You are very likely to be given checkout up to about 2pm but I wouldn't count on 4pm.

The only way to guarantee having a room then is to pay for an extra day. And honestly I think that's reasonable. If I showed up to check in and was paying for the room I would be pissed if I couldn't get in the room until 5pm or even later because someone else hadn't checked out yet.

Why do you need a room until 4pm? Hotels will hold luggage for you. If you have time to kill go find something to do for a couple hours.