Travel

Hotels with late (4pm or later) checkout in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 1:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6004 posts
878 upvotes
Mississauga
I am pretty sure IHG offers late check out as one of the perks. I'm going look into this.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:07 am
I am pretty sure IHG offers late check out as one of the perks. I'm going look into this.
I had asked for late checkout in Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza as a Spire (highest) status. No go, the hotels were sold out.

If the hotels are not busy, had room(s), they can do it. But if the hotels are always busy, and sold out for the day you're checking out, no.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Raggie wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:07 am
From https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/global ... ID=7304739

"Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, and Spire Elite members of the IHG® Rewards Club may extend their check-out times to 14:00".

Question: Is there a way to get eg the Gold status at IHG by matching status at Starwood, Marriott, Best Western or something? While 2pm is not 4pm, it may be an option if they can guarantee it.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3718 posts
278 upvotes
Scarborough
mbmbkop wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 7:56 pm
From http://spg.com/fullterms (Starwood T&C):

Guaranteed Late Checkout
Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort, conference center, and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability.

Sounds like a guarantee to me (unless it is a resort, conf. center or a convention hotel), or does Starwood not follow its own policy?
The last part says based on availability.......which is a catchall saying they can't guarantee it.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
Arrgh wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:16 am
I had asked for late checkout in Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza as a Spire (highest) status. No go, the hotels were sold out.

If the hotels are not busy, had room(s), they can do it. But if the hotels are always busy, and sold out for the day you're checking out, no.
When did that happen? Apparently this late checkout benefit (at IHG) is in place as of January 1 of this year.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
mbmbkop wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2017 7:56 pm

From http://spg.com/fullterms (Starwood T&C):

Guaranteed Late Checkout
Gold and Platinum members may check out as late as 4 p.m. This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort, conference center, and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability.

Sounds like a guarantee to me (unless it is a resort, conf. center or a convention hotel), or does Starwood not follow its own policy?
GateGuardian wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:35 am
The last part says based on availability.......which is a catchall saying they can't guarantee it.
Nope, disagree... "This benefit is guaranteed at all hotels, except at resort, conference center, and convention hotels, where it is based upon availability." The word "where" applies to whatever follows "except".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6004 posts
878 upvotes
Mississauga
I remember asking Marriott in Boston for late check out, but they wouldn't do it because the hotel was booked up. I also wasn't a member.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
mbmbkop wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 11:36 am
When did that happen? Apparently this late checkout benefit (at IHG) is in place as of January 1 of this year.
Last year.

If you need GUARANTEE to stay in room till 4pm, one way is to pay for it. I've seen people's content moved out of the room in premium hotels, because they did not move them out by check-out time. The cleaning people have to get the rooms ready for guests that are coming and have confirmed booking.

You can argue here with everyone about the semantics and languages in the T&C's that you see, and go to the hotel to insist they give you 4pm check out because you believe it's guaranteed. What if that hotel still says no, because they are booked up?

We've traveled often. We have stayed to use the hotel facilities after check-out, by storing luggage with them. Even though it's not sleeping in your private hotel room, it served the purpose.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
973 upvotes
OP no hotel will guarantee late check out when you reserve the room. It all depends on their capacity when you check in. If having a late checkout is that big of a deal then pay for another night.
Mar 1, 2016
22 posts
7 upvotes
SPG is pretty good in honoring the late checkout. You need to be at least Gold Member or above. You need to make the reservation online. When you get to the paying fees page scroll down on preferred check in and out times. Click the latest check out time/or earliest check in time desired. I stay at the Sheraton Downtown Toronto and did this method. When calling them they will always say based on the day of and availability. Just do it online and it worked so far for me. The latest checkout time is 4pm. Also since there checkout time is 12pm you need to have them reprogram card for the 4pm checkout. Always ask for manager on duty if they say they cannot honor it at front desk as they get over ridden.
Nov 24, 2007
459 posts
35 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 7:25 am
Ok, thank you all. Sounds like there are no better options than trying to get the late checkout with Marriott/SPG. I'll try to get a guarantee by phone/email from them (at the time of booking) that I'll be able to checkout at least at 4pm.
Unless your booking at a resort or conference center, I wouldn't worry about being denied a 4pm checkout. Check in 24 hours in advance on the Marriott app and you can select your late checkout time there.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1117 posts
332 upvotes
New York City
OP, I must revise my post. I meant to say that I have been denied late checkout on several occasions (non-resort and non-conference hotels). However, most of the times I'm in a suite so it;s possible that the late checkout does not extend beyond basic rooms?

They give out SPG Gold like candy, so don't expect many hotels to accommodate beyond the minimum. Even for Plat, there is a hiearchy (Plat 100, Plat 75, Plat 50, Plat 25, Gold etc...), and properties tends to favour repeat customers. I've seen the priority sheet printout they use on a daily basis.

Either way best thing for you to do is to call the hotel directly and ask, and post an update.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
McKinsey wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 5:17 pm
They give out SPG Gold like candy
Can you give examples, because I'd like to get SPG Gold, hopefully without too much effort/spending.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3718 posts
278 upvotes
Scarborough
Arrgh wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 5:39 pm
Can you give examples, because I'd like to get SPG Gold, hopefully without too much effort/spending.
If you have Amex Platinum, it comes with Hilton Gold and SPG Gold, which you can also get Marriott Gold.....

SPG also has a CC that makes getting status easier.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6750 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
GateGuardian wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 5:44 pm
If you have Amex Platinum, it comes with Hilton Gold and SPG Gold, which you can also get Marriott Gold.....

SPG also has a CC that makes getting status easier.
It costs a lot to get the Amex Plat, and many people don't qualify for the card.

with SPG Amex, you're paying $120 or $150 annual fee, then need to spend at least $30,000 to get Gold status.