Travel

Hotels with late (4pm or later) checkout in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 1:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1059 posts
232 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just an update.. We ended up staying at Sheraton Gateway Hotel at YYZ taking UP Express to downtown (seems to be even faster than taking a taxi), and we got the 8:00pm checkout (yes, EIGHT). No, it was not confirmed at the front desk. It was confirmed by the hotel directly a few days before our departure. I found the general SPG line/contact link to be quite useless by the way. If you are in a similar situation, always try to get in touch with somebody at the hotel.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5241 posts
1018 upvotes
Montreal
mbmbkop wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:57 am
Just an update.. We ended up staying at Sheraton Gateway Hotel at YYZ taking UP Express to downtown (seems to be even faster than taking a taxi), and we got the 8:00pm checkout (yes, EIGHT). No, it was not confirmed at the front desk. It was confirmed by the hotel directly a few days before our departure. I found the general SPG line/contact link to be quite useless by the way. If you are in a similar situation, always try to get in touch with somebody at the hotel.
Simply due to your Gold status? 8 PM is pretty amazing.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4072 posts
225 upvotes
Glad to hear the OP got a super late check out. That's impressive to be honest.

As someone that works at a hotel, the only ways to guarantee a later check out are if you have status, included/part of your reservation or pay for it.
90% of the time we don't do anything past 2pm unless if it's a special occasion or occupancy is extremely low and we're feeling generous. Even then, we have to justify it to management.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1129 posts
378 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
mbmbkop wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:57 am
I used to work at this hotel during my university years.

Since it's connected to the airport they have 24/7 housekeeping on staff. We had tons of "special rates" for guests who would walk up and need a room for a few hours because of a layover or delayed flight. Also they have contracted rates for passengers from certain airlines for their J class passengers (ie pax missed the connection and is on standby for the 4pm flight- couldn't get on the 4pm now rebooked on a midnight flight). So we would essentially hold the room until further notice from the airline. This is not the norm but serves purpose for that hotel since it's connected to YYZ and was the only one at the time.

So ya at an airport type of hotel I can see a late checkout. I've worked at other hotels and I can tell you housekeeping leaves at a certain time and there's no way to "turn around" the room in order to re-sell.