• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2014 5:21 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2009
566 posts
51 upvotes

in Hotmail, how to...

So I tried to logon to my Hotmail account, using a tablet in a McDonalds.

Hotmail came back and said this looks suspicious, and it would email me a code to another account.

But I'm thinking, I wouldn't be able to logon to another Hotmail account for the same reason, therefore I wouldn't be able to get the code.

So how to get around this?

Does everyone who has a Hotmail address also need another non-Hotmail account? Does Gmail have this same kind of checking?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
never heard of this but i also have never tried to access hotmail from a public site. makes me wonder what will happen when i do.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Jun 22, 2014
559 posts
235 upvotes
Markham, ON
One step solution to resolve any Hotmail issues: Create a Gmail account.

But to answer your question, Gmail sends a code to your phone via sms to confirm user. You can also set up a few one time passwords to pre-authorize unrecognised devices. You would print off these randomized passwords, and keep them in your wallet or on your phone until you need it.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2351 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton
Biskuits wrote: But to answer your question, Gmail sends a code to your phone via sms to confirm user.
Hotmail/Outlook does this as well...provided you have a phone set up with them.
Mar 3, 2009
566 posts
51 upvotes
[QUOTE]One step solution to resolve any Hotmail issues: Create a Gmail account.

But to answer your question, Gmail sends a code to your phone via sms to confirm user. You can also set up a few one time passwords to pre-authorize unrecognised devices. You would print off these randomized passwords, and keep them in your wallet or on your phone until you need it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Hotmail/Outlook does this as well...provided you have a phone set up with them. [/QUOTE]

Oh man, it just gets more and more cumbersome... now you need several accounts with different providers, or a phone to set up verification...

I wonder who are all these people supposedly checking their emails at Tim's and McDonalds? From what I've seen, the average user is not that literate to set all this up.
Jul 23, 2011
696 posts
202 upvotes
1. Don't use public Wi-Fi to access your personal email account.

2. If you have to use a public Wi-Fi, setup a home VPN where you can connect to before you do any browsing on the public Wi-Fi.

3. Worst case, setup a phone number where Hotmail texts you the 'code'.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)