Computers & Electronics

Hotmail wants more personal info ... how to stop it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2013 4:41 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 27, 2012
410 posts
26 upvotes

Hotmail wants more personal info ... how to stop it?

Hi team,

So now when I sign into Hotmail there is a screen called "A password is not enough" I always have to skip before I can reach my inbox.

It is asking me for my phone number, favourite sports team, etc. Saying it needs this information to better protect my account.

Any way to turn this annoying thing off?

JC
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17598 posts
1629 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Give them what they need and it will stop asking.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4395 posts
567 upvotes
JordanCameron wrote:
Oct 21st, 2012 8:35 am
Hi team,

So now when I sign into Hotmail there is a screen called "A password is not enough" I always have to skip before I can reach my inbox.

It is asking me for my phone number, favourite sports team, etc. Saying it needs this information to better protect my account.

JC

Type anything
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2485 posts
180 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Stop using hotmail.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2470 posts
215 upvotes
Providing that info is for your benefit. If your account gets hacked, then that person wouldn't know this information. So if you want to increase your security, answer the quesitons and be done with it.. or create an alter ego and lie about it (but then you'll have to keep track of your alter ego's persona)
loserga wrote:
Oct 21st, 2012 10:24 am
Stop using hotmail.
yep - switch to 2 factor authentication with gmail?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2485 posts
180 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
poorwingman wrote:
Oct 21st, 2012 11:23 am
Providing that info is for your benefit. If your account gets hacked, then that person wouldn't know this information. So if you want to increase your security, answer the quesitons and be done with it.. or create an alter ego and lie about it (but then you'll have to keep track of your alter ego's persona)
Been doing that for years now. Gmail also asks for your cell number. I'm thinking of switching to another service.
Deal Fanatic
May 3, 2009
5989 posts
704 upvotes
JordanCameron wrote:
Oct 21st, 2012 8:35 am
Hi team,

JC
We are not your team. Stop impersonating tim cook.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1533 posts
110 upvotes
loserga wrote:
Oct 21st, 2012 11:39 am
Been doing that for years now. Gmail also asks for your cell number. I'm thinking of switching to another service.
I use the 2way authentication with gmail. It's great! So, even if someone has my password they wouldn't be able to access the account unless they know the 1 time 4 digit code that is sent to your cell :)

I wish every company does this....especially banks!
May 24, 2009
10 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Microsoft is now recording your phone number and it is being passed to the NSA, along with all of your emails. This is done so that in case the NSA or someone who access to its databases wants to contact you regarding your email contents, they find you quickly, either by tracking your cell phone or home phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2011
1641 posts
691 upvotes
I keep getting a similar message when I log on my 360, it's so freaking annoying.
× < >