• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 7:38 pm
Nov 30, 2012
239 posts
141 upvotes
Burnaby
Jaytee wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 12:29 pm
For the Grand Canyon there are a number of options. Hoover dam is on the way to Grand Canyon so tours normally stop there. Cheapest option is to rent a car and drive but its 4 hours each way and there are a lot of speed traps along the way I read. Next option is the bus tour, but its a all day event, like 14 hours and it starts at 7:30 am. Next option is to take a small chartered plane. It's not cheap (paid $342), but its scenic and saves you a lot of time (6.5 hours compared to the bus's 14 hours). The final option is helicopter but thats for ballers, not RFDers =D That all said, go to the south rim, the west rim is closer but the view isnt as spectacular.
We took the bus tour a number of years ago. Waste of a day -- you get like less than an hour at the Canyon, the rest is spent traveling. There's not much else near out there. Friends took a more extended multi-day car trip through the painted desert, etc which might be more worthwhile -- no need to be paying for LV hotel the whole time.
Feb 12, 2002
642 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver
Stayed at Monte Carlo this year, resort fee was $35+tax and they didn't even have a pool open. Also rented a car and they still charged hotel guests, I understand a non hotel guest but we're already paying a bloody resort fee!!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1844 posts
230 upvotes
This is how much resort fees have gone up in just a year (USD)...it's crazy when the resort fee is now nearly 50% of the hotel rate! In some cases, like Excalibur, you can book the hotel for $30 CAD/night and pay a $30 USD/night resort fee on top of that....

(https://www.lasvegasjaunt.com/las-vegas ... 017-guide/)

From $32 to $39: PALAZZO, VENETIAN
From $32 to $35: ARIA, BELLAGIO, VDARA, MANDARIN ORIENTAL
From $30 to $32: MANDALAY BAY, MGM GRAND, DELANO, MIRAGE, TREASURE ISLAND
From $26 to $29: LUXOR, EXCALIBUR
From $25 to $29: RIO, TROPICANA
From $20.99 to $24.99: THE STRATOSPHERE
From $21 to $24: CIRCUS CIRCUS
From $15 to $23: PLATINUM
From $14.99 to $19.99: SILVER SEVENS
From $12.99 to $17.99: THE ORLEANS
From $0 to $12: ALEXIS PARK ALL-SUITES
From $0 to $7.50: ARIZONA CHARLIE’S DECATUR
Oct 22, 2015
594 posts
143 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
The royal offers from Royal Caribbean may still be a decent deal with the credit they give back for MGM properties
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
1996 posts
1066 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Thanks man. You are awesome.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
1996 posts
1066 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Thanks Jaytee. Awesome response to some of my specific questions.
Jaytee wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 12:29 pm
There is a thread on MyVegas here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/free-las ... #p28391762

Basically you play video game slots for free on Facebook to unlock free stuff. The more you play, the more "loyality points" you earn. Some stuff like a BOGO lunch or dinner is easy to earn. Other stuff like free hotel room take a lot of playing. I've seen Ka (highly recommend) and Zumanity (strongly recommend avoid) for free (like completely free, no taxes or anything).

There is a "Five Hundy by Midnight" podcast about Vegas that I recommend listen to, to find out whats happening in the city.
One of the listeners compile this list of happy hour (booze and food) in Vegas https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

A number of ppl use Tix4tonight for last minute show deals. Basically all the tix aren't sold they sell off the day off (although they do advanced sales also). http://www.tix4tonight.com/

I recommend seeing Cirque's Mystere. It's the cheapest because its the first and therefore longest running show, but its very entertaining to watch live. Cirque's O is the most popular and more expensive. If I were you I would grind slot play in MyVegas and get tickets to KA.

For the Grand Canyon there are a number of options. Hoover dam is on the way to Grand Canyon so tours normally stop there. Cheapest option is to rent a car and drive but its 4 hours each way and there are a lot of speed traps along the way I read. Next option is the bus tour, but its a all day event, like 14 hours and it starts at 7:30 am. Next option is to take a small chartered plane. It's not cheap (paid $342), but its scenic and saves you a lot of time (6.5 hours compared to the bus's 14 hours). The final option is helicopter but thats for ballers, not RFDers =D That all said, go to the south rim, the west rim is closer but the view isnt as spectacular.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1543 posts
179 upvotes
bhp wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 2:46 pm
Stayed at Monte Carlo this year, resort fee was $35+tax and they didn't even have a pool open. Also rented a car and they still charged hotel guests, I understand a non hotel guest but we're already paying a bloody resort fee!!
We were in Vegas this last week at the MGM Grand and Aria. We walked through Monte Carlo twice and that place is such a dump. Hopefully it gets significantly better with the MGM Park renovations but as it sits now and with the construction that is going on they should be waiving all the resort fees for anyone that willing chooses to stay there.