Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4399 posts
1393 upvotes

House Insurance - preferred provider?

When I researched this in the past including reading reviews on RFD, TD Meloche Monnex appeared to be a good choice for home insurance. However, I am curious if people's opinions are different today or do they still find that TDMM gives good value for the dollars spent?

I am looking for a decent plan but coverage more in the sense of catastrophic coverage that isn't going to break the bank account. Ultimately, my goal is to pay the least amount (i.e. I will choose a higher deductible to save money) to have insurance there if something big happens.

I remember the first time we bought home insurance we went with a plan with Zurich which had a lot of bells and whistles and coverage for every little thing but it was pretty expensive and the reality is that we didn't want to put a claim in for every little thing because your claims history affects your premium and goes on record whether you stay with the provider or go to another.
2 replies
Apr 1, 2009
406 posts
12 upvotes
Personally, I have been with TDMM. They are very reasonably priced, and if you don't intend to make many claims, then it is pretty good deal. I can't comment on their claims services though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15402 posts
5670 upvotes
I went with TDMM and recently made a claim for weather related damages. It went very well, and the payout I was given from TD covered the most expensive companies in my city (which surprised many of them because they all started with "Keep in mind, insurance does not always cover everything with us").

Further, when I had my claim paid out I was given 100% cash value. My parents, who live nearby and also had a claim, were told "you can take x% of the value as a payout".

Overall, my experience has been great. I never used their preferred contractors, and quite frankly, have no intention of it. But the fact I can pick my own and I have yet to come across one that costs any more (for like materials I already have) is great.