Home & Garden

House Purchase Problems (Chattels Missing)

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2010 12:16 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2008
371 posts
234 upvotes

House Purchase Problems (Chattels Missing)

Hi All,

I closed on my first house yesterday only to find the the previous owners had left all there garbage in various placing in the house ( we bagged it all up, 8 garbage bags in all ) That pissed me off enough, but then we noticed that there were chattels missing (BBQ and Freezer) which were written in the contract. I will be contacting my lawyer on Tuesday, but was wondering what this process is going to look like? Do I get them back or compensation? How do I prove that they took them? Is there anything I can do about them leaving their S#$T in my house (probably won't do anything, but I'm curious to know)

Thanks to anyone that can help, this is just the tip of a poorly executed real estate deal.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
The garbage issue, you won't get far on that one unfortunately. The appliances, your lawyer will take care of. You'll either get them back or you'll get what they were worth on closing (not replacement cost). Hopefully you took pics (with a newspaper for date proof) to prove them missing as well as someone independent who could verify. Your lawyer will handle all of the negotiations with their lawyer.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
CSK'sMom wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 11:21 am
The garbage issue, you won't get far on that one unfortunately. The appliances, your lawyer will take care of. You'll either get them back or you'll get what they were worth on closing (not replacement cost). Hopefully you took pics (with a newspaper for date proof) to prove them missing as well as someone independent who could verify. Your lawyer will handle all of the negotiations with their lawyer.
Some good advice as always, but I dont think pics of something that isnt there would matter. Anyone could simply roll the bbq a few feet away and take a pic of an empty spot on the patio :confused:
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
stealth wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 1:13 pm
Some good advice as always, but I dont think pics of something that isnt there would matter. Anyone could simply roll the bbq a few feet away and take a pic of an empty spot on the patio :confused:
True stealth but it can help if things get messy. Same with an independent person who could verify that the items are missing. Hopefully things don't get messy for the OP and it was a oversight (maybe mover's moved items by mistake :confused :) by the sellers.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Aug 25, 2006
734 posts
106 upvotes
I think your lawyer was supposed to hold off on paying them in full just incase something like this happens. We will be moving into our new house next month and I bet this will happen to us as well, so let me know how it goes.

Ours is different, we want them to get rid of their freezer and not keep it. I wonder if I can charge them for the removal?
[OP]
Jan 21, 2008
371 posts
234 upvotes
Thanks for the advice, I will let everyone know on Tuesday what the lawyer says. Hopefully it was just a mistake
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2360 posts
330 upvotes
xcell wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 2:03 pm
Ours is different, we want them to get rid of their freezer and not keep it. I wonder if I can charge them for the removal?
I know someone whose parents just sold their house recently. Their lawn had car junk all over the place, and the buyer actually wrote something into the contract to the effect of "seller to remove car junk or $xxxx to be deducted from buying price".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5838 posts
3377 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 11:21 am
I think most of the purchase contracts have a clause: " The home must be in broom-swept condition free of debris", etc, etc...

So OP may not be out of luck...either way, contact your agent, that is why he/she is there!
Sep 3, 2007
615 posts
42 upvotes
Aurora
Last year when we sold our home, the buyer had a clause in the contract which basically said that the house was suppose to be clean and no mess/garbage in sight/garage/inside or at curb.

I am not sure if this is a standard thing or was specially put.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13858 posts
2958 upvotes
Markham
xcell wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2010 2:03 pm
I think your lawyer was supposed to hold off on paying them in full just incase something like this happens. We will be moving into our new house next month and I bet this will happen to us as well, so let me know how it goes.

there is a
The Great Refrigerator Roundup program

http://everykilowattcounts.ca/residenti ... /faq.php#1

should be free
http://everykilowattcounts.ca/residenti ... fridge.php
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Jan 21, 2008
371 posts
234 upvotes
joejack wrote:
Apr 5th, 2010 9:19 am
Last year when we sold our home, the buyer had a clause in the contract which basically said that the house was suppose to be clean and no mess/garbage in sight/garage/inside or at curb.

I am not sure if this is a standard thing or was specially put.
I don't think we had that clause, but I will for next time ;) my agent is getting the items back, I will update when I have them in hand

Thanks
Feb 23, 2008
784 posts
55 upvotes
9394 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2010 9:03 am
I think most of the purchase contracts have a clause: " The home must be in broom-swept condition free of debris", etc, etc...
yep, when I sold my condo and bought my house both of the MLS contracts had this wording in it so that you can't leave the place in a mess.

as far as the missing chattels, the lawyers will sort it out but I think the lawyers only hold back money / keys until all the paperwork is signed but I don't know about post possession. the lawyers will straighten it out and claim damages if necessary and reduce the payment in the trust setup for the seller.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6562 posts
244 upvotes
There is usually a holdback for a few weeks when you buy the house. Some money stays with the lawyers to cover stuff like this and other expenses.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2008
371 posts
234 upvotes
Thanks for all your replies, just an update we ended up getting the BBQ back but they still haven't returned the freezer. The lawyers wrote the other lawyers a letter requesting the freezer or money by a certain date. That date has come and gone and now the lawyers won't do anything and tell me I should go to small claims court.

My question is can I take the lawyers to court to for failure to represent? because I paid them around $800 to help me fulfill the contract and they did not
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1886 posts
386 upvotes
Calgary
It's not the lawyers fault. Suing them won't work.

You can take the other party to the contract to small claims court if you choose.