• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2020 7:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 11, 2016
153 posts
167 upvotes

House SQFT

The real estate agent is unable to tell me what the house sqft is for a house that i'm considering.

Is there a way for me to find out? A neighbouring house that sold has the exact same property tax and lists the sqft. Is it a reasonable assumption that the sqft is the same?
I should also add that the layout / floorplan seems to be different between the 2 homes.

I assume sqft plays a significant role in valuing the house.

Thanks everyone
10 replies
May 23, 2017
470 posts
248 upvotes
Strange that the real estate agent cannot tell you--they should have access to that info.

Where are you located? In Ontario, if you currently own a property you can look up other properties in your area via the "About My Property" website--it gives you all the MPAC assessment data about a house including square footage. If you don't currently own a property you can ask a friend to help you maybe? If it's in a different city than where you currently live you may be out of luck on that one though.

(Alternatively maybe just get a better real estate agent...)
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2554 posts
628 upvotes
Try MPAC website if you have the full address or roll no.
Aug 15, 2018
69 posts
66 upvotes
If you want to be sure, visit the house again with a laser measure and measure the length and width of one of the floors (there should be a clear enough direct path). Multiply length x width to get square footage of the floor. Times 2 is the total for the 2 story house.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
3760 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
your agent needs to go on the geowarehouse site. there is a link from the system we use. they can order the square footage for 5$. your realtor too cheap or ignorant to order for you. maybe use a different realtor?
Full-time Realtor
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
87 posts
106 upvotes
I use google satellite imagery to measure approximate area. This requires knowledge about the house layout, which can usually be derived from pictures. Curious if there's a better way.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
3760 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
dishcollector wrote: I use google satellite imagery to measure approximate area. This requires knowledge about the house layout, which can usually be derived from pictures. Curious if there's a better way.
yes. you pay 5$
Full-time Realtor
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
7569 posts
2022 upvotes
Toronto
Xbowop wrote: The real estate agent is unable to tell me what the house sqft is for a house that i'm considering.

Is there a way for me to find out? A neighbouring house that sold has the exact same property tax and lists the sqft. Is it a reasonable assumption that the sqft is the same?
I should also add that the layout / floorplan seems to be different between the 2 homes.

I assume sqft plays a significant role in valuing the house.

Thanks everyone
Get a new agent. As already mentioned, it's very easy for us to pull that number (at least according to MPAC's calculation).
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Jun 25, 2015
55 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You guys are all hilarious, let the guy breath before pouncing for the referral.
Aug 22, 2016
171 posts
91 upvotes
Aura12 wrote: You guys are all hilarious, let the guy breath before pouncing for the referral.
Righto. I am surprized why the selling agents are not spending that $5 to put that sq footage in the listing. This sound more like a cheating game by seller agent if they can get that info by just sparing that $5 instead of every prospective buyer wondering about the real sq footage of the house and end up hiring a realtor for that one reason.
Jun 25, 2015
55 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lot of lazy agents, I don't list houses without floor plans and square footage. That's a MUST now a days with how savvy the buyers have been getting.