Dec 8, 2007
5549 posts
2219 upvotes

Housing and Condo Market is currently CRASHING and BURNING

Condo sales drop 20.5 per cent and price growth flattens
http://www.moneyville.ca/article/127225 ... h-flattens

Home sales fall 15% in a year
http://www.moneyville.ca/article/127165 ... -in-a-year

The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts, I mean, forecast economic direction and determine organizational strategy ...... and if theyve all been adjusting their policies significantly over the past 6 months - news flash - Brad Lamb and the Real Estate Crony crew have been lying to you.

Now, I wonder how quickly Ten York sales will go considering I've received 5 emails from brokers about a VIP event that they all some how have exclusive access too - wtf I'm not even signed up to their email lists. Spam. Anyways, there are bets going on over at UrbanToronto.com about how badly certain projects will do
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
895 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes
wake me up when the price actually drops. To an average consumer. if I see the prices still going up ,there's really no incentive for me to buy.
Jul 14, 2008
574 posts
57 upvotes
I got an email on the 10 York too
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5549 posts
2219 upvotes
kingofwale wrote: wake me up when the price actually drops. To an average consumer. if I see the prices still going up ,there's really no incentive for me to buy.
They are. Some rookie agents are posting new listings on the SAME properties at reduced prices before removing the old ones lol ....... $529k down to $470k???? Yeah, I saw that :lol:
wouwou wrote: I got an email on the 10 York too
What the hell is it with these guys ...... and theyre all degenerate sleezy types too
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
kingofwale wrote: wake me up when the price actually drops. To an average consumer. if I see the prices still going up ,there's really no incentive for me to buy.
+1. Who is going to fill all of these condos in Toronto? Wouldn't mind grabbing one once the prices plummet.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
255 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: +1. Who is going to fill all of these condos in Toronto? Wouldn't mind grabbing one once the prices plummet.
It'll still cost a pretty penny.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
niroopg wrote: It'll still cost a pretty penny.
Depends on what you consider a pretty penny. At some point in the next 5 years I expect condo prices in TO to take a serious hit.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
137 upvotes
niroopg wrote: It'll still cost a pretty penny.
Hopefully 40% less five years from now. That means a $500k condo will be $300k. Still a fair bit (out of the price range of many people), but at least affordable with two incomes.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
Wake me up when the PRICE drops 15-20%
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Stupidity is the government who kept approving every joe blow builder with a permit to build a condo.

Should just stop right now handing permits to anybody and try to get the current inventory sold before approving any more permits.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Not convinced yet....price will plateau first...and thats not happening yet
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
If prices start to crash, government can just extend amortization again -- 30 years, 35 years, 40 years, 100 years -- or get Asian investors to not pay capital gains tax...whatever they can to make real estate prices climb again.

Its a cycle. Down cycle to start for 3-4 years, then we'll see stablization and up movement. The States was hammered in places of 50% and now about 5 years later we're seeing some stability and prices up about 15% in some markets. Smart money got in 2009/2010. The hunter getting in now. The mass gets in 2-4 years from now and creates another bubble -- smart money gets out at that time and will come to Canada and buy.

Its so simple, yet for most people just so complicated to understand.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3241 upvotes
Calgary
Sanyo wrote: If prices start to crash, government can just extend amortization again -- 30 years, 35 years, 40 years, 100 years -- or get Asian investors to not pay capital gains tax...whatever they can to make real estate prices climb again.
No, once a bubble peaks and pops, there is very little evidence, particularly in the United States, that governments can reflate popped bubbles. After all, bubbles pop because of overcapacity, and overcapacity takes a long time to go away. Government efforts to prop up bubbles actually make the ensuing crashes and the bottoms even more severe than the base case of no intervention.

There is an incredible proportion of Canada's economy devoted to the business of housing construction, and supply to the housing construction sector. Huge amounts of fixed investment. These people simply can't/won't walk away from their investments.

Its a cycle. Down cycle to start for 3-4 years, then we'll see stablization and up movement. The States was hammered in places of 50% and now about 5 years later we're seeing some stability and prices up about 15% in some markets. Smart money got in 2009/2010. The hunter getting in now. The mass gets in 2-4 years from now and creates another bubble -- smart money gets out at that time and will come to Canada and buy.
Typically in Canada, we have periods where the housing market doubles on a relative basis to the stock market (ie: TSX = 12,000 for a decade, housing doubles from $175k to $350k). Alternating with cycles that the stock market triples on a relative basis to housing (ie: TSX = 4000 goes to 12,000, housing stays flat). Some of my previous posts go into the details of this, and how Canada's banking system is actually set up to perform very well during housing price declines. Transferring huge amounts of wealth from borrowers to bank shareholders and employees.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3241 upvotes
Calgary
Sanyo wrote: Stupidity is the government who kept approving every joe blow builder with a permit to build a condo.

Should just stop right now handing permits to anybody and try to get the current inventory sold before approving any more permits.
You want to be the guy laying off all the construction workers (most of whom are highly indebted with mortgages) when prices still remain far higher than construction costs?

Let's just say...have good bodyguards on hand, because you'll probably need them. These aren't whimpy ex-Nortel employees who can be placated with prescriptions of Prozac, that's for sure.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3241 upvotes
Calgary
iownyou wrote: Not convinced yet....price will plateau first...and thats not happening yet
Plateaus are very difficult to detect until "after the fact". Canada's marketplace is characterized heavily by extremely volatile financing, and the CMHC guarantee limit looms ominously over the marketplace where the incremental buyer, despite claims of Asians, suitcases full of cash, etc., is actually just Canadians using minimal downpayments and CMHC insurance.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17115 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
adamtheman wrote: The title of this thread is accurate.
not only is it inaccurate, i find it offensive.

you call 15% "crash and burn"? say that to my friends and relatives in Asia who saw their homes crash and burn by 50% in 2008 when their economy went to ****. then their employer went out of business or they got laid off and they can no longer finance the mortgage payments and had their house foreclosed.

not only is 15% inaccurate, it's barely a correction.

when it's 50% drop, then i won't have an issue with you calling it a crash and burn.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1370 posts
265 upvotes
Winnipeg
Why is the word a$$ censored out on rfd, but shits is perfectly fine? Strange.
actng wrote: not only is it inaccurate, i find it offensive.

you call 15% "crash and burn"? say that to my friends and relatives in Asia who saw their homes crash and burn by 50% in 2008 when their economy went to shits. then their employer went out of business or they got laid off and they can no longer finance the mortgage payments and had their house foreclosed.

not only is 15% inaccurate, it's barely a correction.

when it's 50% drop, then i won't have an issue with you calling it a crash and burn.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17115 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
thanks for the heads up. edited.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
hahah another gloom and doom thread about our markets...when the US gets its economy in order our real estate market will bloom again,only thing I see is less buying but prices are actually up %.02 this quarter.If rates are low and people have jobs any sort of correction be a soft one but any property in highly desirable areas will always have buyers....my cousin neighbor (Mount Pleasant and Lawrence area) they sold their home in 5 days at full asking......
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9533 posts
952 upvotes
Yay another one of these threads! Well I hope this will stop others from popping up since the crash is here finally...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)