• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2006 4:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2006
1 posts

How about tutoring business

Is tutoring a good business in Canada? I think these days, parents are willing to spend more money on children. I think tutoring franchise (like Kumon) or self-start is very low cost.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
Just tutor.. you don't need to open up a store or anything, just advertise your services and if people want you, they will hire you.

Once you build a large enough client base, perhaps you could then decide on going bigger through a company and having employees.

At least, that's my recommendation.
Beans, beans, the magically fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans at every meal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7918 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
I have seen one guy advertising at York University at $26 per hour for Stats and I used to think that lots of students may not go because they cannot afford it but lots of the women from my class who work and can afford it went to him and I heard he often had lots of students.

Makes you wonder what you paid for as the Stats Teachers especially are quite incompetent, Stats being a difficult subject for most.

Yep parents are willing to pay for their child's success seeing most of them do not have the time and depend on teachers who aren't always as committed to your child's success as they are to collecting a high salary and lots of vacation time and so if you are quite competent in Math related course especially then you can start off small on your own as the above poster suggested and build up the business.

If I was remotely competent in Maths/Calculus/algebra its what I would be doing now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2001
5567 posts
847 upvotes
Toronto
I think there's a lot of potential for a business like this and it should be able to get pretty big. It's getting more and more competitive to get into university and people are going after more degrees and certifications. Something like a Slyvan learning system that you could franchise out should be a good money maker if you're in the educational game.