How to add router to hitron coda-4582

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2019 9:52 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
703 posts
191 upvotes

How to add router to hitron coda-4582

Hey guys, so I find the Rogers modem, router s coverage is not great. So I bought an archer c7. My goal is to run wifi all from the c7 and use the hitron strictly as a modem. How do I do that? Where to I plug it in? I also hear people talk about bridging? But I assume that only benefits if the hitron and c7 are in different areas right? For me, they will all be in the same room. So what is your recommendation on best set up? Thanks
35 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30563 posts
5063 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Log into the modem and set it to bridge mode. Bridge mode disables NAT (Network Address Translation) and sets the Hitron as a modem only.

Then plug a cable from the Hitron to the WAN port on the C7
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2611 posts
648 upvotes
Toronto
DPR2017 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 5:59 pm
... use the hitron strictly as a modem. How do I do that?
Click -> How to Bridge your Hitron CODA 4582 Modem
NB: The username may actually be cusadmin not Cusadmin as stated at the Rogers website. Upper case and lower case difference.

In case Rogers moves the link, following copied from the link above:

How to Bridge your Hitron CODA 4582 Modem

Bridging your modem allows you to use a third-party router and disables the modem’s Wi-Fi capability. Follow these steps to bright the Hitron CODA 4582 modem.

Open a web browser and visit 192.168.0.1.
Sign in using the following credentials:

Username: cusadmin
Password: password (or your easy connect Wi-Fi password)

Select Basic.
Select the Gateway Function tab.

Select Residential Gateway Function.
Select Disable.
To finish, select OK when prompted.
DPR2017 wrote:... Where to I plug it in?
Any one of the LAN ports on the Hitron.
Remember, once it is configured as bridge mode (modem only), only a single LAN port will be functional at a time.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4657 posts
1499 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Warlock wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 11:38 pm
Click -> How to Bridge your Hitron CODA 4582 Modem
NB: The username may actually be cusadmin not Cusadmin as stated at the Rogers website. Upper case and lower case difference.

In case Rogers moves the link, following copied from the link above:

How to Bridge your Hitron CODA 4582 Modem

Bridging your modem allows you to use a third-party router and disables the modem’s Wi-Fi capability. Follow these steps to bright the Hitron CODA 4582 modem.

Open a web browser and visit 192.168.0.1.
Sign in using the following credentials:

Username: cusadmin
Password: password (or your easy connect Wi-Fi password)

Select Basic.
Select the Gateway Function tab.

Select Residential Gateway Function.
Select Disable.
To finish, select OK when prompted.

Any one of the LAN ports on the Hitron.
Remember, once it is configured as bridge mode (modem only), only a single LAN port will be functional at a time.
Just to add.

http://192.168.100.1 is login for hitron after put in bridge mode.

Question: Even though have in bridge mode [so no wifi on hitron] I can still login at http://192.168.100.1 using wifi laptop. How turn that off??

Also, two lans are available as I have been using since last year.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2611 posts
648 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote:... Also, two lans are available as I have been using since last year.
Thanks for the correction. I rarely deal with Rogers equipment.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4364 posts
1976 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 12:20 am
Just to add.

http://192.168.100.1 is login for hitron after put in bridge mode.

Question: Even though have in bridge mode [so no wifi on hitron] I can still login at http://192.168.100.1 using wifi laptop. How turn that off??

Also, two lans are available as I have been using since last year.
Disable both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi radio before switching to bridge mode.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7120 posts
1254 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 5:59 pm
Hey guys, so I find the Rogers modem, router s coverage is not great. So I bought an archer c7. My goal is to run wifi all from the c7 and use the hitron strictly as a modem. How do I do that? Where to I plug it in? I also hear people talk about bridging? But I assume that only benefits if the hitron and c7 are in different areas right? For me, they will all be in the same room. So what is your recommendation on best set up? Thanks
Without reading most of the posts above, I can tell you that the Hitron is a cable modem and cable modems is already in bridge mode ! Without going into details you can simply disable the on board WiFi and connect a patch cord from one of the LAN ports of the Hitron to the WAN port on your C7 or you can leave both WiFi on if you want more coverage.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4657 posts
1499 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
peteryorkuca wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 1:01 pm
Disable both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi radio before switching to bridge mode.
Did, that is why so confused by this.

Anyways... enabled hitron, made sure wireless off then put back in bridge mode... still able to login wirelessly:(

Did read online that there are quite a few bugs with the hitrons so perhaps this is one of them??
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4657 posts
1499 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
EdT586 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 1:31 pm
Without reading most of the posts above, I can tell you that the Hitron is a cable modem and cable modems is already in bridge mode ! Without going into details you can simply disable the on board WiFi and connect a patch cord from one of the LAN ports of the Hitron to the WAN port on your C7 or you can leave both WiFi on if you want more coverage.
Unless Rogers has changed their setup recently... once power up hitron it is NOT in bridge mode... the wifi ssid and pw for 2.4 and 5 are on modem/box.

You are right that could leave as is and add your own router as well BUT highly suggest to put in bridge and use C7 as that is a pretty good router.

Perhaps test with several different setups [with hitron gateway enabled/disabled and wifi on/off] to see what works best.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4364 posts
1976 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 2:14 pm
Did, that is why so confused by this.

Anyways... enabled hitron, made sure wireless off then put back in bridge mode... still able to login wirelessly:(

Did read online that there are quite a few bugs with the hitrons so perhaps this is one of them??
That's ret@rded. My coda sometimes wont turn on wifi when hard reset, have to turn on my lan connected PC, logon and do soft reset.

Would love to able to log on by wifi to do reset even it's disablled. Lol.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
703 posts
191 upvotes
EdT586 wrote:
but if they are in the same room (modem and router), would that give me more coverage?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30563 posts
5063 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
EdT586 wrote:
This is incorrect. Disabling WiFi and connecting a cable to the WAN port on a router will create double NAT

@Warlock.

Bridge mode doesn’t disable the WiFi, the LAN ports and WiFi still work. It acts as an extension from the C7 where it gets DHCP. The WiFi is actually independent of the C7 and you can create a second SSID. The two WiFi are not related and act as separate access points.
DPR2017 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 11:44 am
but if they are in the same room (modem and router), would that give me more coverage?
No, because it is not a mesh. It is just two independent access points connected to a single internet connection. It only helps with congestion and not range.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7120 posts
1254 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 12:28 pm
This is incorrect. Disabling WiFi and connecting a cable to the WAN port on a router will create double NAT

@Warlock.

Bridge mode doesn’t disable the WiFi, the LAN ports and WiFi still work. It acts as an extension from the C7 where it gets DHCP. The WiFi is actually independent of the C7 and you can create a second SSID. The two WiFi are not related and act as separate access points.

No, because it is not a mesh. It is just two independent access points connected to a single internet connection. It only helps with congestion and not range.
Correct on both of those, but if the user is a non techie not doing a lot of file transfers through WiFi it still works pretty well even Bell techs set it up this way because telling an end user to get into the GUI and switching it to Bridge mode is too complicated for most people.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30563 posts
5063 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
EdT586 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 1:00 pm
Correct on both of those, but if the user is a non techie not doing a lot of file transfers through WiFi it still works pretty well even Bell techs set it up this way because telling an end user to get into the GUI and switching it to Bridge mode is too complicated for most people.
Shouldn’t we teach people to set it up properly?

We shouldn’t pass on bad practices. Even if they work.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO TOUCH ANY OF THE SETTINGS ON THE CODA (except for the SSID names and passwords).

I have the CODA in the basement at the front of the house by the electrical panel ... (Gigabit Internet)

My house is already wired with CAT6 throughout.

The CODA has 4 ports: (a) the cable running to the living room (b) the cable running to the Smart Home Monitoring router (c) the cable running to my home office on the second floor (d) the cable running to the guest room

In the living room, I have a DLink DIR-859 hooked up to the in-wall cabling (direct connection from the CODA).

From the DIR859 ... I have one CAT6 running to the ASUS Gigabit Ethernet Switch behind my TV and one CAT6 running to my laptop.

From the Asus swtich ... I have one CAT6 running to my Denon Receiver ... one CAT6 running to my Vizio TV ... one CAT6 running to my desktop computer.

In the foyer where the Smart Home Monitoring router is located ... the SHM Camera is connected to the router as well as the Chamberlain module for the garage door.

Upstairs I have an Edimax AC750 Router at the front of the house.

The Nest Thermostat is the ONLY device that connects wirelessly to the CODA as it is the closest to it.

All other Wireless signals around the house either connects to the DLink Router in the living room (back of the home) or the Edimax when in the garage or in the front of the house.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!