• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2018 10:17 am
[OP]
Feb 23, 2015
338 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

How to apply for an HST number?

There is a long form called Request for a business number and certain program accounts
Is that the only way to apply?
rc1-17e.pdf
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... s/rc1.html

Its a fillable pdf so once filled can we send it online or by fax or it has to be printed out and mailed?

Is it necessary to apply separately for PST also?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2754 posts
82 upvotes
Don't register unless u make more than 30k otherwise your creating unessasaty work for yourself.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Apr 13, 2010
41 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
Firstly, what @ashs said.

As to answering your question, to get a HST account, you need a business number. To get a business number, you need to have completed the incorporation registration, i.e. have received the Articles of Incorporation which has your corporation number on it

I don't know about other provinces, but if you had registered for your incorporation in Ontario, then you do not have to fill in that rc1-17e.pdf form. Once Ontario provincial government sets up your corporation account, they automatically forwards your information to CRA to create a business number.

For me, I had to wait for 1 day after receiving my Ontario Articles of Incorporation. Then I called CRA directly to get the business number as well as set up my HST account. It took about 20 minutes in total, but the CRA provided my business number and set up my HST account on the spot. I had everything I need at this point, and the actual mail took about a week to arrive after that phone call.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2537 posts
670 upvotes
Newmarket
dhtlee wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 5:59 pm
Firstly, what @ashs said.

As to answering your question, to get a HST account, you need a business number. To get a business number, you need to have completed the incorporation registration, i.e. have received the Articles of Incorporation which has your corporation number on it
That would mean that sole proprietors or partnerships are not allowed to register for hst, which is totally untrue, one doesn't have to incorporate to get hst number.

Secondly, even small businesses that do not have $30K in revenues in four consecutive quarters, should consider registering for hst, everyone is expecting to pay hst, the business looks more legit if there is a cra number on the invoice, and you can claim ITC on purchases which otherwise would have been added to the expenses.
Apr 13, 2010
41 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
Homerhomer wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:07 pm
That would mean that sole proprietors or partnerships are not allowed to register for hst, which is totally untrue, one doesn't have to incorporate to get hst number.
You're right. I was hasty and assumed OP was registering for an incorporation
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1351 posts
183 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
ashs wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 4:25 pm
Don't register unless u make more than 30k otherwise your creating unessasaty work for yourself.
In some cases some businesses do not know if they will make 30k or more annually. some people want you to become self employed and will give you work but the work will fluxuate some weeks they give u lots of work some weeks there will be little to no work,. depends all on the industry you work in.
Hi

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)