None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14558 posts
1424 upvotes
Oshawa

How to avoid scammers

This will be updated as more ideas come to mind.
-------------------------------------------------

1. Look at the join date. Less than a few months ago? Few posts? No feedback? Bad signs.

2. If the seller provides Heatware, make sure his email matches the Heatware account. Then email the Heatware address to confirm he's the same person.

3. Google the seller's email address. If you can't find it anywhere else, it's probably disposable.

4. Ask for a phone number. Use it. Google it. Do a reverse lookup.

5. Ask to pay by cheque or money order. Do a reverse lookup on the mailing address. Google it.

6. Look at the photos. Google the link to see if they've been used before under different accounts, or different user names. Do a Google image search.

7. Visit the photo gallery if you can, and look for photos with different user names. Google the names.

8. If you pay by PayPal, DO NOT pay as "gift". EVER.

9. Don't buy e-Tickets off Kijiji or Craigslist. Just don't.

10. If you're buying a giftcard, make the seller meet at the store and verify the balance. Then transfer the balance to a new card IMMEDIATELY.

11. There are no legitimate buyers in Nigeria. None. Not ever.
-------------------------------------------------

Remember, EMT is untraceable and non-refundable. PayPal sucks, but at least you can try a CC chargeback. Cheque or MO is best.

Remember, trolls are stupid and lazy, and tend to re-use emails, photos and user names. But some DON'T.

Note: Please don't contact me by PM to request assistance in finding a possible scammer on RFD - post a thread. I insist on complete transparency for all disputes on this forum.

My personal recommendation is that you do NOT trade on RFD. Scammers here are allowed to run wild, and are never banned despite multiple infractions. Moderators are deleting posts that expose scammer contact information, protecting the scammers rather than honest traders. RFD is now a toxic trading environment.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
This needs to be sticky! :D
Nov 20, 2004
878 posts
26 upvotes
North York
for checking on re-used photos, maybe tineye.com is a good option. It's a reverse image search.

www.tineye.com
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8938 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
stickkkyyy
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 20-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2006
3081 posts
14 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Sep 16th, 2009 9:18 pm
5. Ask to pay by cheque or money order. Do a reverse lookup on the mailing address. Google it.
I would never accept a personal cheque, I think scammer's can use this to get people.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14558 posts
1424 upvotes
Oshawa
RLP06 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2009 3:29 pm
I would never accept a personal cheque, I think scammer's can use this to get people.
Don't see how, if you wait for it to clear.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2006
3081 posts
14 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2009 3:37 pm
Don't see how, if you wait for it to clear.
I think many would be reluctant to get their goods after it clears.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14558 posts
1424 upvotes
Oshawa
RLP06 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2009 3:40 pm
I think many would be reluctant to get their goods after it clears.
That's price you pay for the security of a cheque.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7808 posts
913 upvotes
Markham
Good Post. Sticky!
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
1142 posts
4 upvotes
what's so good about a cheque? The fact that I can see who deposited it?
I hope Life isn't one big joke because I don't get it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14558 posts
1424 upvotes
Oshawa
Slimfast wrote:
Oct 31st, 2009 10:15 pm
what's so good about a cheque? The fact that I can see who deposited it?
Cheques are traceable, and they also have to be mailed. Once you get the seller's mailing address, you can look it up to see if it's legitimate, and get the resident's name.
Jan 24, 2010
40 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
People who joined recently and have low posts don't point to being scammers. Would that mean most people in Kijiji and craigslist are scammers?

And, not everyone publishes their e-mail on the world wide web.