Travel

how to avoid tax/custom charge on something u didnt purchase aboard?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2005 10:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7854 posts
334 upvotes

how to avoid tax/custom charge on something u didnt purchase aboard?

Let's say, I bring a brand new notebook along with me for a trip, but I already lost the receipt.

Now, if custom search me they will probably tax my notebook. They may not believe me because itis new. How could I avoid that? I heard u have to ifll out forms before u leave
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2002
6849 posts
4 upvotes
elty wrote:Let's say, I bring a brand new notebook along with me for a trip, but I already lost the receipt.

Now, if custom search me they will probably tax my notebook. They may not believe me because itis new. How could I avoid that? I heard u have to ifll out forms before u leave
You can fill out a customs form before you leave.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
fill out a customs form (its at the airport, so get there a bit earlier and fill it out) before you leave and they copy down your serial number and etc...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7854 posts
334 upvotes
gilboman wrote:fill out a customs form (its at the airport, so get there a bit earlier and fill it out) before you leave and they copy down your serial number and etc...
so u have to physically bring the item? it will be A LOT of hassle if I already pack my luggage
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
elty wrote:so u have to physically bring the item? it will be A LOT of hassle if I already pack my luggage
YES...or else you could just say you have some $$$$ rolex in your luggage when you dont and buy one abroad and evade taxes here.

besides... if you have an $$$ laptop..what's it doing in checked baggage??? you should always bring your valuables with you on the carry on luggage not checked.
Nov 8, 2004
390 posts
4 upvotes
I always take some pics into my brand new digital camera with dates on before I go aboard. Pics includes Yorkdale or maybe Niagara falls scence to prove the camera was already used in canada.
for your laptop, I think, maybe you can install some software before your trip date, so that you can show it was used before your trip.
I am not sure is it working, coz I neve be asked at custom.
Waiting ....... and waiting.............
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Go to airport customs office, they will give you a little green card and you fill out the model # and serial #, they stamp and keep top part you keep bottom. No need to bring your original receipt to show them to do this.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6575 posts
249 upvotes
pandaharo wrote:Go to airport customs office, they will give you a little green card and you fill out the model # and serial #, they stamp and keep top part you keep bottom. No need to bring your original receipt to show them to do this.
But you do have to bring the item so they can check the serial #

If you are going to pack the item, make sure its in a place you can get to it easily, or take it there the day/week before and get the form filled out.
Jun 19, 2002
319 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
you could always drive to buffalo (it's easier to cross the border by car I think) and fly from there - it's cheap. It's a win-win! (if you are from the Toronto area)
University of Toronto - Engineering Science
Co-Founder www.internshare.com
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
560 upvotes
novastar wrote:you could always drive to buffalo (it's easier to cross the border by car I think) and fly from there - it's cheap. It's a win-win! (if you are from the Toronto area)
how is it win win? they can still tax you driving across the border. its not nescessarily cheaper or worth your while. to and back its gonna waste atleast 5hrs total of your time, plus gas, parking and after a long trip you still have to drive back to TO. its a lose lose.