Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3548 posts
766 upvotes
GTA

How bad is the HH3000 from Bell?

I'm considering helping my gf order Bell gigabit for her apartment since it's wired with fibre.

I have no experience with the HH3000 and haven't used a Bell modem in years. Obviously, for her own uses, she doesn't need much. But me, personally, I like to tinker a bit. I'm used to ubiquiti products or regular commercial routers with tomato or dd-wrt firmware. I would at least like to change basic settings like wifi channels, port forwarding, DNS servers, etc.

I would even just throw in a raspberry Pi there for a pihole so changing DNS servers would be useful.

Is it at least as basic as the Hitron 3ACR modems from Rogers?

Oh and her apartment is only around 600sqft so it's not like range should be an issue, I would hope.

Internet only. No tv or phone

Appreciate any input. Thanks
15 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1398 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
The range seems to be pretty good on these things. My only gripe so far even though I'm new to the device is you cannot put it in bridge mode and run your own router through it that way to extend the range.
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2911 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
I mean, tinkering for yourself is one thing - but why not just let it be for her, for the sake of simplicity? For a 600 sq.f place, the HH3000 will be more than sufficient, without the need for additional equipment.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3548 posts
766 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, probably won't need to even attempt using another router.

As for tinkering, nothing elaborate. Just basic settings like wireless channels, DNS servers, things like that. Just wasn't sure how locked down these things are. Wireless settings would be useful since it's an apartment so there are tons of other signals to deal with.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10664 posts
1322 upvotes
My condo isn't much larger at 800sqft. I have the same modem. My den at the front end of the condo and I get full bars on balcony at the other end. This is with a bathroom, laundry, bedroom and brick wall in the way.

I haven't tried tinkering with mine as there's no need, but it's been getting a consistent near 1Gb speed up and down with no interruptions.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14272 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
I had the hh3000 in my modest two storey house and it was fine. The modem was located in the basement.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1358 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
My HH3000 is in the basement of a 3 story 100 year old brick house. I get coverage everywhere. 3rd floor is weak but works at around 50mbps.

I have gigabit service and get 500+ on Wi-Fi with my Matebook X Pro. 300 up and down on my iPhone 7 Plus.

With a wired connection I get the full gig speeds.

I’m running it as-is. If I need to use a vpn I just connect from the device in question. Was never able to use it with a dns service like Block.us to access out of region streaming video.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29239 posts
4316 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
SwaunyJones wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:38 am
The range seems to be pretty good on these things. My only gripe so far even though I'm new to the device is you cannot put it in bridge mode and run your own router through it that way to extend the range.
You don't need to put it in bridge mode. Just use your own router to and login to your account using the B1xxxxx and password

But I find the Home Hub 3000 to be a decent router. I didn't even bother setting up my own router.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1358 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 3:47 am
You don't need to put it in bridge mode. Just use your own router to and login to your account using the B1xxxxx and password

But I find the Home Hub 3000 to be a decent router. I didn't even bother setting up my own router.
This is fine if you only have Internet I expect. I have TV and phone as well, which are all provided via the HH3000. No option but to us the modem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3548 posts
766 upvotes
GTA
Appreciate the responses. With all the posts about bypassing Bell modems, I assumed it was a piece of junk but I guess it'll do fine in its own. Thanks guys
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4525 posts
536 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I had my HH3000 just installed yesterday to replace cable internet.
Agree with everyone's comments - solid and full speed - no need to tinker but you can on the WiFi side if you want.
The only part that seems to be locked down is the modem side facing the Bell fiber (which makes sense)
Jul 16, 2008
184 posts
24 upvotes
ON
Agree with the comments above.

The HH3000 is a solid modem/router. Modem on the ground floor. Full house coverage. Was using AC68 with Rogers before.

Ring Pro outside the front door also have solid connection.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5743 posts
763 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 8:20 am
This is fine if you only have Internet I expect. I have TV and phone as well, which are all provided via the HH3000. No option but to us the modem.
Actually this method is what makes it possible. Keep your TV connected to the HH3000 and everything else to your own router.

Each device will have its own external IP. It is not a double NAT and they will not be able to see each other.

The key is establishing a second PPPoE session on your own router. The HH3000 will then detect this and enable pass through on that particular LAN port.
Last edited by tkyoshi on Dec 6th, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1358 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
tkyoshi wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 4:33 pm
Actually this method is what makes it possible. Keep your TV connected to the HH3000 and everything else to your own router.

Each device will have its own external IP. It is not a double NAT and they will not be able to see each other.

The key is establishing a second PPPoE session on your own router. The HH3000 will then detect this and enable pass through on that particular LAN port.
Ah - got it. Might be something I look into.
Capture.PNG
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5743 posts
763 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 4:37 pm
Ah - got it. Might be something I look into.

Capture.PNG
Let us know if you have any troubles :)