Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
1366 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto

how bad is the Irma damage to Cuba?

was planning a trip to Cuba mid-/late-Nov to early-Dec, should a postpone the trip to next year, next April or even next year this time?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
758 upvotes
At this time Damage Reports are still sketchy for ALL PLACES (including Cuba) that Irma has hit... This has to do with 2 facts:

1- Communications have been wiped out, and in many cases also transportation options for getting into these Caribbean Countries & Islands

2- the US NEWS Services who usually does extensive coverage, have their hands full with Irma's full bore strike on the ENTIRE State of Florida

So far I've seen only limited coverage on the Eastern Caribbean Islands that were hit almost a week ago... And only a few pics out of Cuba,., and almost nothing from The Keys

I'd say, give it another week, before you can really see what's happened as well as hear what any plans are for rebuilding

This is what we are doing... As we too have plans on the books for this winter (Florida & Eastern Caribbean) in our case we've decided as long as our Hotels are up & running, we'll still go... Figuring there will be lots of cancellations, but knowing the best thing we can do is boost the economy & moral by still going

PS - Cuba has many vacation destinations / areas all over their island... Only the east & north got the brunt of Irma... So there are definitely other options.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6079 posts
900 upvotes
Mississauga
I saw images of Cayo Coco airport destroyed.
I cancelled my cruise for February but still have airfare for Puerto Rico.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Mar 24, 2016
264 posts
265 upvotes
scarborough
Was planning a trip to Cayo Coco but sadly that's not happening. I feel so bad for the people of Cuba hope things recovery fast for the island since tourism is their main source of income. Just checked today on Sunwing's website earliest ould be Nov. 1, however its too close for my liking.

I saw the picture of the airport and its gone. There was a picture of a resort which was also destroyed (dont know which one it said the Pullman)
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3617 posts
1061 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like Cayo Coco is destroyed. Haven't seen photos yet from Varadero.
Mar 24, 2016
264 posts
265 upvotes
scarborough
News is very hard to get. Most of the coverage was with Harvey and jumped straight to Irma.

Look at St Marten no alot of info just the famous airport by the beach was destroyed.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8375 posts
1334 upvotes
cayo santa maria and cayo coco basically had the eye of a cat 4 storm go right over them, the causeway to cayo santa maria was damaged, i would expect heavy damage to the resorts, alot of them are open air lobbys, plus the beaches are probably torn to shreads.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
758 upvotes
Have CNN on...

Slowly they are getting photos in from Cuba & other countries / islands hit by Irma
(but the issues of Comunications / Electricity / Transportation still exist... Ie cannot fly or boat in, no electricity, no phones, no Internet etc.)

Saw NEW helicopter aerial pics / video today of Sint Maarten / St Martin - St Thomas USVI - BVI - Puerto Rico - Turks & Caicos - The Bahamas - Cuba - and the Upper Keys (along with the out islands of Florida ... Marco - Sanibel & Captiva etc) *

Devastation is GINORMOUS

No words... As those who love to travel to many of these places that are not only beautiful in their scenery but also in their humanity... Gotta admit we both watched with tears in our eyes

Getting back anywhere close to normal is going to be weeks & months down the road.

That said, we still are staying positive, and not canceling our plans / reservations

* Still no pics from the Middle & Lower Keys (points south of Islamorada)... Where Irma was a Cat 4 when she ripped thru
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13626 posts
1196 upvotes
Toronto
WorldStar had a video up of Cuba
"Deal of the Day" addict
May 22, 2016
816 posts
134 upvotes
Ontario
Everything will be fine in a month. These resorts have survived hurricanes before. There is another airport where the planes landed before the Cayo coco airport was built. Its about an hour drive. The beach might be narrower now. That happened last time it was hit.
Jul 13, 2007
584 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Kuurgen wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:31 pm
From varadero

WTF @ 0:31???
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3421 posts
1352 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Kuurgen wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:31 pm
From varadero

What is up with that guy in the pink bikini top? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3990 posts
472 upvotes
Thornhill
Cuba was damaged badly. I have relative who is married to a Cuban. Havana is waist deep underwater. Lots of Cayo Coco hotels were destroyed. Cayo Coco airport is in ruins. Lots of roads destroyed as well so getting to some areas is a problem. It will take months to fix some of the worst hit areas,but tourists will be directed to the resorts that did not suffer as much, which should be fully operational in a week or two. Other areas may take months to rebuild.

I would personally urge people not to go to Cuba for at least a month. The food shortage is a slight issue along with possible water contamination. You will be getting even worst quality food, with less options for the next 3 weeks+ until things normalize.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
758 upvotes
webshark wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:28 pm
Everything will be fine in a month. These resorts have survived hurricanes before. There is another airport where the planes landed before the Cayo coco airport was built. Its about an hour drive. The beach might be narrower now. That happened last time it was hit.
Uh... NO

This was a CAT 5 when it crossed the Caribbean, those resorts in its path aren't just torn up... THEY ARE GONE.

This is true for many Resorts in Antigua & Barbuda - St Maarten - St Martin & the French Islands - The BVI - The USVI - Turks & Caicos - The Lower Bahamas - Eastern & Northern Cuba.

Recovery is going to take months / years... Not just days / weeks (and BILLIONS of Dollars)

Certainly there will be unaffected areas in some of these countries, where Tourists will still be able to visit, but the overall "quantity" will be missing from the market, which could drive up prices as well (not just when it comes to one particular island, but for the Caribbean as a whole)

Personally... We will go on our booked / planned vacation this Winter if the Hotel is standing (we are still waiting to hear / see photos). Many others no doubt will cancel due to devastation "destination just not the same". By going we will STAND UP for the great people of the Caribbean and support their struggle to rebuild. Tourism is their BREAD & BUTTER.

* And oh ya, in order to get the best deal possible for the following year... We will REBOOK direct with the hotel while we are there... Thereby saving ourselves significant mark up when prices rise in Year 2.