Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 25, 2002
579 posts
89 upvotes
Upper Thornhill

How to become an Insurance Advisor?

I'm applying for a Licensed Insurance Advisor for a major bank.
What do you think about my resume?

[IMG]http://i3.tinypic.com/waq15d.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i3.tinypic.com/waq1ox.jpg[/IMG]

I'm thinking one page is enough but any feedback is appreciated.

TIA
"Money wasn't tight, but it wasn't like, it wasn't right"
10 replies
Jan 1, 2005
524 posts
9 upvotes
I like the format! :)

You can perhaps elaborate a lil bit as necessary on education... like when u graduated and all... Hm, maybe take off the foot locker one, I wouldn't put more than 3 employments unless it's REALLY pertinent.

In each job description, I would elaborate on how each responsability you took made a difference in the company... say "Advised and monitored new customers" becomes "Greeted every customer as a potential business client. They were very satisfied with the information I provided them and landed more sales than my peers". Results oriented u know? I don't care if you stalked people around to sell stuff, but it makes it sound so much better if you can elaborate on positive results.

that's all I could say. Good luck!

YC
Dec 8, 2003
917 posts
7 upvotes
Under blockbuster, your first 3 points speak to really nice accomplishments, but don't mention your specific role in it. It seems very generic. Try and personalize it a bit more.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1771 posts
341 upvotes
Calgary
You have good points under your employment fields, however the point of putting your accomplishments on a resume is to highlight your transferable skills. Try to make your acquired skills more evident to whoever is reading your resume - that's what they're looking for. They want to know how you can benefit their organization given you educational and professional background.

Look at the required duties and skills for your insurance advisor position and try to tailor your current experience and education toward the requirements of your new position.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4801 posts
60 upvotes
Local
Problem #1. Not simple enough. Right now, I don't even want to look into that much. If I want to find info about you, I have to read it deeply and can't just browse it. I would hire you only if I were desperate for workers. But I guess you can't really simplify that too much because of your job positions.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1858 posts
140 upvotes
Hey John - he isn't applying for a job at Wendy's!

Your simple one-pager doesn't cut it in the real world!

To the op: If you are pursuing a career in insurance with the bank, why do you say you are looking for career in home and auto insurance?
It has been a long time since I have done a resume, but I must admit yours did not grab my attention right off the bat.

If I recall corectly, the CIBC website has a list of corr-competencies for various positions. I assume that most similar positions for different banks would have the same requirements. When changing careers, it might be better to go with a functional style resume rather than a chrono. one.

What might be better off would be do something like this:

Objective:
Education:
Employment history (list position, company, start/end dates only)
Qualification summary;
-List each qualification (or group similar ones together) and then describe how your past working history has provided you experience in that area.

Good luck to you!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
I dunno.. looking at your resume.. seems like you are just a salesman and not an advisor..

now.. are you keen on advising people?.. or are you just out to get the sale no matter what... that is the question.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2002
579 posts
89 upvotes
Upper Thornhill
Those are a lot of great points.
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm bound to get an interview any time now. :razz:
"Money wasn't tight, but it wasn't like, it wasn't right"
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
45 upvotes
Mississauga
rdtx2002 wrote:I dunno.. looking at your resume.. seems like you are just a salesman and not an advisor..

now.. are you keen on advising people?.. or are you just out to get the sale no matter what... that is the question.
Just wondering, don't you have to be a CFA or CPA for this job? It might be something to consider in the job requirements if they mentioned it. :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
simms wrote:Just wondering, don't you have to be a CFA or CPA for this job? It might be something to consider in the job requirements if they mentioned it. :)
nope, don't think so... i think you just need to take the CIC course at CSI... could be wrong..

in Quebec they want certification from AMF
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1752 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
In your current employment @ Blockbuster, change it to "present tense" instead of "past tense" because you're still employed presently.