Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
3917 posts
293 upvotes

How to become a police officer in Toronto

Hi all

Was wondering what goes into becoming a police officer for the Toronto Police?
I currently have a full time job as a programmer but was thinking into changing my career abit. I read all the stuff on their website and still somewhat confused.
I want to know what i need to do to start the whole process, where to go, who to ask , things like that.
Also if anyone had experience with such a thing, at what stage do i need to leave my current job and how is the salary once you enter the force? just dont want to be stuck with no money to pay the mortgage.

Any insight on this?
19 replies
Dec 19, 2006
56 posts
2 upvotes
The process is all on the Toronto Police website under the careers section, and yes you get paid while you are being trained.
You need to leave your job once you are given an employment date to begin training.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2276 posts
87 upvotes
it's tough. fyi a lot of applicants go through the pre-course at humber college.
Jul 10, 2007
87 posts
Ottawa
If you want to be a police officer you better put the investigator part of you to work and research!!

The the first thing have you do before you can apply to the TPS or just about any police service in Ontario(expect Peel regional Police, others that i may not be aware of), the first step is to complete the ATS testing. http://www.applicanttesting.com/

You will find pretty much everything else you need on the TPS site like the above poster mentioned.

And one more thing, dont take Police Foundations because i've heard that may even hinder your chances... and its a waste of money! Trust me, I took it and graduated with it.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
1023 posts
11 upvotes
Born2 kill wrote:
Sep 14th, 2009 7:00 pm
If you want to be a police officer you better put the investigator part of you to work and research!!

The the first thing have you do before you can apply to the TPS or just about any police service in Ontario(expect Peel regional Police, others that i may not be aware of), the first step is to complete the ATS testing. http://www.applicanttesting.com/

You will find pretty much everything else you need on the TPS site like the above poster mentioned.

And one more thing, dont take Police Foundations because i've heard that may even hinder your chances... and its a waste of money! Trust me, I took it and graduated with it.
In addition to this, I recommend browsing/searching the forums over at Blueline.ca

Everything you could ever want to know about becoming a police officer can be found there. (Tip: Don't create a thread like this over there, just use the search option to find information. This question has been answered there many times and they wont like it if you create another thread asking for the same information.)

You should also go to one of the information sessions for Toronto Police. You will gain a lot of knowledge about the process there and will also be able to ask any questions you may have. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/infosessions.php
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
31 upvotes
Don't bother applying for TPS unless you are a visible minority or a woman. Thats what they are looking for at the moment.
shaka braddah!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
ricoboxing wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 8:22 am
Don't bother applying for TPS unless you are a visible minority or a woman. Thats what they are looking for at the moment.
They will hire whoever is qualified. They like to have a mix,,,, but if they dont pass the tests they dont get hired.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
3917 posts
293 upvotes
Thanks for the info guys. I sure will have to check that session on Sep 22. And will start doing what it takes. I currently have a good job as a web developer working for a good company, but just cant see my self sitting infront of the desk for the next 20 years and i always wanted to do something like this.

Another question, how is the job stability for a police officer? and for a new recruit how how are the hours/shifts? just if anyone experienced that.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
1023 posts
11 upvotes
urir10 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 10:14 am
Another question, how is the job stability for a police officer? and for a new recruit how how are the hours/shifts? just if anyone experienced that.
Last I heard TPS was doing a schedule somewhat like this:
7 on, 6 off
7 on, 5 off
7 on, 4 off

I heard this awhile ago, so for all I know, they could be using something different by now. Based on this type of schedule, I would say it is using 8 or 10 hour shifts.

A lot of the OPP detachments from what I heard are using a 2-3-2 rotating schedule now. Rotating Nights/Days and 12 hour shifts.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
2033 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
ricoboxing wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 8:22 am
That's non sense.
A majority of the hired are still white.
I've seen my friends OPC and TPS graduation pic from a year ago, most people are still white. You have a misconception.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
1023 posts
11 upvotes
oasis100 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 12:17 pm
That's non sense.
A majority of the hired are still white.
I've seen my friends OPC and TPS graduation pic from a year ago, most people are still white. You have a misconception.
Agree. They just had a news story on CTV a few days ago about the class that just graduated and they said around 30% of the graduates are of visible minority or females.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34247 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
Roconne wrote:
Sep 15th, 2009 12:43 pm
Agree. They just had a news story on CTV a few days ago about the class that just graduated and they said around 30% of the graduates are of visible minority or females.
Which is still a poor reflection of the demographics in Toronto.
But none the less... you still have a chance if you're white. lol
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
my cousin literally just got hired 3 weeks ago (meaning finished and graduated already, works for Peel Police now).

I think he never went to school for it, but he's got tons of experience in security (not your regular security jobs btw).

he's asian btw.
× < >