Tags:
None
Nov 7, 2009
3 posts
Toronto

How is BF Goodrich or Uniroyal tire?

want to buy 195/70/r14 all session tire, 1st time after i brought my Camry

Active Green Ross - Installed price
BF Goodrich advantage $430 (110Km warranty)
Uniroyal tiger $500 (130Km warranty)
Michelin hormony $608 (130km warranty)

Canadian tire
Good year Allegara $532 (130km warranty)

can anybody tell me pls. how is BF,Uniroyal & Good year ? which is worth to buy?

thanks
16 replies
Dec 1, 2008
348 posts
19 upvotes
gateway3 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 9:04 am

Canadian tire

can anybody tell me pls. how is BF,Uniroyal & Good year ? which is worth to buy?

thanks
If you have a Costco Membership you can get the BF Goodrich Traction T/A's for about $100 per tire installed (plus tax) (after discounts). Much better tire than the Advantage or Tiger's. You could even get Michelin x-radials or hydro-edge's cheaper than your above quotes with current discounts being offered.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19754 posts
1481 upvotes
Michelin, BF Goodrich, and Uniroyal are all the same company. Typically Michelin is the premium brand, with the highest prices; BFG usually offers the best bang for the buck; while Uniroyal are usually more budget (lower cost) tyres than the other too or have tyres meant for vehicles like minivans rather than say a better performing car. All should be made well but note that pretty much no all-season is worth buying, from any company.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1058 posts
43 upvotes
Bolton, ON
We had BFG Traction T/A on our vehicle. I was not impressed with them at all, though they were inexpensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
382 upvotes
Valleywood
gateway3 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2009 9:04 am

Canadian tire

thanks
There are not a lot of choices in the 195/70R14 and even less in the alternate 205/65R14. If you are not considering winter tires, then I would suggest the Nokian WRG2, but even it is not available in any 14" that would fit.

Tirerack lists the Harmony and HydroEdge at the same price give or take a buck @ US$86.

The HydroEdge, with its superior wet handling, is the better tire.
Dec 11, 2007
458 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary
BradT wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 3:34 pm
We had BFG Traction T/A on our vehicle. I was not impressed with them at all, though they were inexpensive.
x2. I have them on my summer rims on my TL. Decent handling and traction, but I hate the road noise. I would probably switch to something quieter next time.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
2816 posts
310 upvotes
GTEH!
BradT wrote:
vtec260 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 9:41 pm
x2. I have them on my summer rims on my TL. Decent handling and traction, but I hate the road noise. I would probably switch to something quieter next time.
Had them for the past 5 years. First 3 years tires were good. Last 2 years were OK. Would not buy again. Did purchase them from Costco and I think they're @$115/tire + tax now.
😎
Dec 1, 2008
348 posts
19 upvotes
Webhead wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 11:13 pm
Had them for the past 5 years. First 3 years tires were good. Last 2 years were OK. Would not buy again. Did purchase them from Costco and I think they're @$115/tire + tax now.
I've been happy with my Traction T/A's, which is why I recommended them. Although I have them in a wider profile where the directional tread pattern may be more beneficial?
Remember that Costco has 10 off per tire on B/F and $15 off on Michelin right now.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
2816 posts
310 upvotes
GTEH!
BradT wrote:
vtec260 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2009 9:41 pm
d-burn wrote:
Nov 24th, 2009 12:49 am
I've been happy with my Traction T/A's, which is why I recommended them. Although I have them in a wider profile where the directional tread pattern may be more beneficial?
Remember that Costco has 10 off per tire on B/F and $15 off on Michelin right now.
Glad to hear you're happy with them.

My experience has been so-so.

Others above were not favourable. To each their own.
😎
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1456 posts
131 upvotes
I was at Costco around 2 weeks ago having tires installed on my mom's vehicle. I was going to get the BFG Traction T/A's because the TireRack reviews were good and the price was right. The guy at Costco said they didn't have any more and that BFG doesn't make that tire anymore. They have a replacement (can't remember the exact name but I think it might have been the Advantage T/A) but it was about $40 more per tire.

I ended up with the Michelin X-radial which is the same tire my mom was riding on for the last three years without any complaints.
Dec 1, 2008
348 posts
19 upvotes
calgaryhhr wrote:
Nov 25th, 2009 2:26 am
I was at Costco around 2 weeks ago having tires installed on my mom's vehicle. I was going to get the BFG Traction T/A's because the TireRack reviews were good and the price was right. The guy at Costco said they didn't have any more and that BFG doesn't make that tire anymore. They have a replacement (can't remember the exact name but I think it might have been the Advantage T/A) but it was about $40 more per tire.

I ended up with the Michelin X-radial which is the same tire my mom was riding on for the last three years without any complaints.
I find that hard to believe. Has been a staple tire name for them for quite some time. Plus, they still show up on Costco's online tire search.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19754 posts
1481 upvotes
calgaryhhr wrote:
Nov 25th, 2009 2:26 am
They have a replacement (can't remember the exact name but I think it might have been the Advantage T/A) but it was about $40 more per tire.
There is an Advantage T/A though I'm not sure about the discontinuation of the Traction T/A. Both the names Traction T/A and Advantage T/A are rather stupid though because T/A stands for Traction Advantage. So the full names of these no-seasons are actually "Traction Traction Advantage" and "Advantage Traction Advantage" LOL.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1456 posts
131 upvotes
d-burn wrote:
Nov 25th, 2009 10:45 pm
I find that hard to believe. Has been a staple tire name for them for quite some time. Plus, they still show up on Costco's online tire search.
Yeah, I know the Traction T/A's show up on Costco's website (that is why I was going to purchase them because they were cheaper than the Michelins.)

When I arrived at the Costco tire centre the associate I dealt with said they had no Traction T/A's in that size and he would have to see if an order could be placed. He mentioned they no longer made that tire so an order might not be filled.
Dec 1, 2008
348 posts
19 upvotes
calgaryhhr wrote:
Nov 26th, 2009 1:01 am
Yeah, I know the Traction T/A's show up on Costco's website (that is why I was going to purchase them because they were cheaper than the Michelins.)

When I arrived at the Costco tire centre the associate I dealt with said they had no Traction T/A's in that size and he would have to see if an order could be placed. He mentioned they no longer made that tire so an order might not be filled.
Order them online and see what happens. Maybe try a different Calgary costco (if there is more than one).
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13077 posts
1034 upvotes
Montreal
Owned a set of BFG g-force KDW for a few years. Decent tires for the price, and had good handling in dry and wet. A bit load and harsh, and sucked in snow though.
× < >