Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean

How is Blackberry 10 not just a me too?

On the surface, the layout is the same as apple, the material finish is the same as apple. The UI is pretty similar to apple. How is it not a copy?
I really dont see how it sets itself apart from what has already been done by apple. Android copied apple nice and early, and it took them 4yrs to get to a level where you can say its a great alternative. Now BB10, like 5yrs late to the game comes with another me too device.

What is the reasoning? Are they banking on current BB users wanting the iphone experience, but has brand preference to blackberry?

Im not understanding all the hype.
heatware available upon request
211 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
Well people love to hate. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think the phone finish looks like Apple's.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1423 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Last years model.. today.
That is what BlackBerry is pawning off to all the BBM-Believers who want to be cool like the Android and iPhone users.

...wait for it... Galaxy S4
Nov 22, 2009
433 posts
47 upvotes
Markham Ontario
It brings Blackberry into mix re: OS.
It has nice features, but no it is not revolutionary. It looks very nice and the z10 seems like a good device, but I am unsure if BB can be viable as a company as a distant 3rd / 4th in the industry.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
BBM and BES is its selling points....,as well as there antennas ( usually get stronger signals and less dropped calls in same areas of other devices ).

bb's main selling feature is its business connectivity, not its fancy touch screen or game /mp3 capability.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10945 posts
3252 upvotes
I think BB brings a lot to the game, and I say that as an Apple user.

Google was never a consumer oriented company. Samsung was never a software company. Neither had much experience in creating top tier user experiences (Samsung has made great monitors and TVs for years but those are passive experiences). The Android platform was originally conceived and designed for an entirely different category of device with entirely different goals than what exists today. No party controls the experience from end-to-end with Android. For all of the reasons and others, it took Android years to catch up.

Like Apple, BB owns their software. They own the hardware. They can optimize for both. BB has had 5 years now to observe and learn from both iOS and Android platforms and is starting from scratch, which iOS and Android each now have a few years of built up additions and design decisions that were made early that perhaps would have been different in hindsight. BB has a lot of tribal knowledge in the area from years of experience. Beyond Apple, BB owns and controls their BBM and BES systems and has long had a reputation for security and reliability.

I don't think there is any denying it is a me-too device. But any platform that follows the original is a me-too device. The difference is whether they can differentiate their product and whether they can make it a success. I think the first is yes, within the confines of a platform that resembles a modern mobile platform, they can and are differentiating their offerings and feature set where possible. The second, whether they can make it a success, will have to be seen.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
I love the UI, it first got my attention when I had the PlayBook. BB10 is more polished. I love the use of Gestures, which is why I thought it was the best tablet. Like BB10 the lack of Apps was a deal breaker.

I really thought BlackBerry figured it all out. I love my new Z10 but I can't see myself keeping if they don't get their !@#$ together.

When they annouced and pushing 70k apps before it launched I thought we would get some of the most popular.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2020 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
Almost every new smartphone today is "me too", no?
And why not? You don't seem to complain about 500 different laptops, 50 kinds of bread in a supermarket or 20 compact sedans available?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10945 posts
3252 upvotes
bembol wrote: I love the UI, it first got my attention when I had the PlayBook. BB10 is more polished. I love the use of Gestures, which is why I thought it was the best tablet. Like BB10 the lack of Apps was a deal breaker.

I really thought BlackBerry figured it all out. I love my new Z10 but I can't see myself keeping if they don't get their !@#$ together.

When they annouced and pushing 70k apps before it launched I thought we would get some of the most popular.
Can't really blame them for the lack of apps though. They were throwing everything and the kitchen sink out there to get developers on board. But it is the chicken and egg problem. Developers don't want to invest the resources to bring their apps until the user base is there, but many users are holding off until the apps are there.

If you want the app developers to move their apps to BB10, you need to pester them. Developers want to go where the money is but they will listen to customer demand. Send them emails, post on forums about specific apps, get other users to contact them, etc. Another way to drive attention is to buy apps. Developers pay attention to numbers. If reports of app sales are very positive, that will influence them to consider their own apps.
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Lets see, I've been called an iSheep so I guess they're a BlackSheep or SheepBerry. The Z10 is not even a me too device, it's two years too late for that. Gotta say I do like the smart keyboard. At least folks with existing BlackBerries can expect timely OS updates from now on (oh wait)...
Bill
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10945 posts
3252 upvotes
BlueBill wrote: Lets see, I've been called an iSheep so I guess they're a BlackSheep or SheepBerry. The Z10 is not even a me too device, it's two years too late for that. Gotta say I do like the smart keyboard. At least folks with existing BlackBerries can expect timely OS updates from now on (oh wait)...
You know, I really hate it when Android user troll iPhone specific threads. I dislike it just as much when iPhone users do it.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
2020 posts
165 upvotes
Vaughan
BlueBill wrote: Lets see, I've been called an iSheep so I guess they're a BlackSheep or SheepBerry. The Z10 is not even a me too device, it's two years too late for that. Gotta say I do like the smart keyboard. At least folks with existing BlackBerries can expect timely OS updates from now on (oh wait)...
What do you mean by two years too late? What was so special 2 years ago?
And better late than never.
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote: You know, I really hate it when Android user troll iPhone specific threads. I dislike it just as much when iPhone users do it.
IMHO BlackBerry just doesn't have the time or resources to play catch up now. I can iMessage on my Mac or any of my iOS devices, can I BB messenger outside their phone? I just don't see how BB can claw their way to third place (over WP8) without an ecosystem or partnership in place.

Anyway you'll love the ignore feature this forum offers.
Bill
Dec 29, 2011
19 posts
NORTH YORK
Here is the problem. New features and innovation in this space is getting to be so marginal that the phones are increasingly commoditized. Does Z10 have some cool features? Yes, but so does every other phone. Increasingly hard to tell one from the other. I wish BB the best but not sure any of this stuff is a gamechanger for them.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
bpopd wrote: On the surface, the layout is the same as apple, the material finish is the same as apple. The UI is pretty similar to apple. How is it not a copy?
I really dont see how it sets itself apart from what has already been done by apple. Android copied apple nice and early, and it took them 4yrs to get to a level where you can say its a great alternative. Now BB10, like 5yrs late to the game comes with another me too device.

What is the reasoning? Are they banking on current BB users wanting the iphone experience, but has brand preference to blackberry?

Im not understanding all the hype.
I don't think they copied the ancient and low tech iPhone. I mean the Bb actually has a HD screen, can actually multi task and can actually handle notifications.

The iPhone has none of that. The iPhone is a me too device for past 3 years and always trying to chase android and Samsung. They copied camera features. Copied larger screens but failed completely with the small outdated retina display and the phone is so ancient it can't even multitask lol
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote: I don't think they copied the ancient and low tech iPhone. I mean the Bb actually has a HD screen, can actually multi task and can actually handle notifications.

The iPhone has none of that. The iPhone is a me too device for past 3 years and always trying to chase android and Samsung. They copied camera features. Copied larger screens but failed completely with the small outdated retina display and the phone is so ancient it can't even multitask lol
Huh? It's not that different. Both have "retina" type displays.
http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/02/bla ... omparison/
Display
Getting down to the basics of specifications, the iPhone features a 4-inch, 640×1136 resolution display boasting an impressive pixel density of 326ppi. The Z10 has a 4.2-inch panel with a resolution of 768×1280 pixels, giving it a density of 355ppi. Both are impressively sharp, and – although the Z10 has the higher pixel count and density, the difference isn’t easy to detect with the human eye. If at all.

One thing I did notice (but only when the iPhone and Z10 were side by side) was that the BlackBerry handset had a faint yellow tint. It did affect color reproduction, more so the whites and blues. Contrast levels are good on both, but blacks appear darker on the BlackBerry. Colors are a little more vivid on the iPhone, and the screen in general is brighter and seems sharper. Even with the iPhone at 75% and the Z10 at 100% the Apple handset was noticeably brighter and clearer.
Bill
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6928 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
gilboman wrote: I don't think they copied the ancient and low tech iPhone. I mean the Bb actually has a HD screen, can actually multi task and can actually handle notifications.

Lol exactly how can someone copy iphone nowadays
Jun 26, 2004
514 posts
177 upvotes

One of the most uninformed posts I've read all day. Thanks for the chuckle.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
mikeo007 wrote: One of the most uninformed posts I've read all day. Thanks for the chuckle.
ya, apple is pretty bad that they released such a crap phone. I mean the apps can't even share with other apps info. Everything exists in a silo because ios is ancient and due to existing in a silo, no multitasking.

hope apple gets it together for iphone 5s.. my mom is asking for a smartphone and i need a cheap dumb phone for her and iphone fits the bill but in its current form, can't even do the basic stuff my mom is asking for and the screen is too small and resolution too low,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)