None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6921 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
BlueBill wrote:
Feb 16th, 2013 1:14 am
Umm, have you read the authors (Michael Li) other posts? To be taken with a grain of salt.
Voice of reason and journalistic independence there.

On a side note is anyone having issues with volume popup glitching and preventing access to the screen?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5104 posts
1038 upvotes
Brampton
ichpen wrote:
Feb 16th, 2013 10:10 am
Voice of reason and journalistic independence there.

On a side note is anyone having issues with volume popup glitching and preventing access to the screen?
Any steps to see the issue?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6921 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
Mayoo wrote:
Feb 16th, 2013 10:46 am
Any steps to see the issue?
Take it out of holster quickly, volume keeps popping up as if I'm hitting the vol up key. Weirdest thing. Reboot fixes it but happened again the following day.
Jan 24, 2009
645 posts
328 upvotes
Montreal
Phones are not religions. Most people who don't really need them have to justify owning one through a particular feature, like with certain apps or games. There is a 'convenience' factor of having internet connectivity, maps and the sort of thing that makes connected mobility worthwhile.

The main difference with the Blackberry is that it was designed for people who have to get things done. This is a GTD phone, designed to make you more productive. The side benefit is that it is also a great media device (great screen and awesome audio quality, very good camera), and can play games quite well.

This phone platform truly represents Smartphone 2.0, where we are now over the novelty features and need to concentrate on tool use.
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
randomroyalty wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 10:11 am
Phones are not religions. Most people who don't really need them have to justify owning one through a particular feature, like with certain apps or games. There is a 'convenience' factor of having internet connectivity, maps and the sort of thing that makes connected mobility worthwhile.

The main difference with the Blackberry is that it was designed for people who have to get things done. This is a GTD phone, designed to make you more productive. The side benefit is that it is also a great media device (great screen and awesome audio quality, very good camera), and can play games quite well.

This phone platform truly represents Smartphone 2.0, where we are now over the novelty features and need to concentrate on tool use.
If that's true then Android & Apple have been on Smartphone 3.0 for some time now. BB lacks the ecosystem.

Most folks use a notebook for their productivity, you're not likely to be using any Smartphone as your primary content creation device. Handy sure, convenient yes but we're not going to see an office using them instead of their PCs.
Bill
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5104 posts
1038 upvotes
Brampton
ichpen wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 9:45 am
Take it out of holster quickly, volume keeps popping up as if I'm hitting the vol up key. Weirdest thing. Reboot fixes it but happened again the following day.
thanks..
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28776 posts
4054 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
randomroyalty wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 10:11 am
I could care less about apps. I have a BlackBerry because I need to get things done. I don't understand people's facination with apps. If I want to play games or watch NetFlix, I have a Nexus 7 and an iPad

There are a few apps I would like to see on the Z10 just because they are convenient to have on a portable device.

Shazam
TuneIn Radio (I know it is available, but it is not a native app)

Other than that, I don't really see a need for apps on a phone. I don't need to watch movies on a phone, I can listen to the radio.

If Apple and Android can handle email, calendaring and messaging as well as a BlackBerry, I would have jumped ship a long time ago. For me, iOS is terrible for anything productive, but to it's credit it is really stable. Android is also terrible at email and it is not stable for me. (I'm using Jelly Bean on Nexus 7, no mods)

The only thing I really miss with the Z10 is the track pad.
Dec 12, 2010
611 posts
55 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 4:00 pm
I could care less about apps. I have a BlackBerry because I need to get things done. I don't understand people's facination with apps. If I want to play games or watch NetFlix, I have a Nexus 7 and an iPad

There are a few apps I would like to see on the Z10 just because they are convenient to have on a portable device.

Shazam
TuneIn Radio
(I know it is available, but it is not a native app)

Other than that, I don't really see a need for apps on a phone. I don't need to watch movies on a phone, I can listen to the radio.

If Apple and Android can handle email, calendaring and messaging as well as a BlackBerry, I would have jumped ship a long time ago. For me, iOS is terrible for anything productive, but to it's credit it is really stable. Android is also terrible at email and it is not stable for me. (I'm using Jelly Bean on Nexus 7, no mods)

Have you tried Nobex?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5104 posts
1038 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 4:00 pm

Shazam
TuneIn Radio (I know it is available, but it is not a native app)

Correct me .. but isn't tunein a native cascades built app on Z10 ?
Jun 26, 2004
500 posts
163 upvotes
BlueBill wrote:
Feb 16th, 2013 1:14 am
Umm, have you read the authors (Michael Li) other posts? To be taken with a grain of salt.
Lol his articles are a total joke aren't they?
I can't believe people are actually eating this stuff up.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28776 posts
4054 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Mayoo wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 5:58 pm
Correct me .. but isn't tunein a native cascades built app on Z10 ?
I haven't installed it, but I doubt it is. I think it is ported from Android. If it was native, they would have TuneIn Pro available.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
5104 posts
1038 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 12:36 am
I haven't installed it, but I doubt it is. I think it is ported from Android. If it was native, they would have TuneIn Pro available.
I have it .. i can bet its Native .. try it .. for Ported apps, the menu appears different and no cards which is not the case with Tunein
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2412 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
Has anyone experienced any noticeable lag yet? Today I was playing a game (CJ: Strike back) when I received a text. The game started to lag so badly that it crashed. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1933 posts
115 upvotes
Kitchener
^nope not me.
Sum_guy wrote:
Mar 13th, 2013 10:26 pm
but my nipples hurt for the rest of the weekend when we go.