None
Banned
Jan 20, 2013
685 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 5:09 pm
I don't think they copied the ancient and low tech iPhone. I mean the Bb actually has a HD screen, can actually multi task and can actually handle notifications.

The iPhone has none of that. The iPhone is a me too device for past 3 years and always trying to chase android and Samsung. They copied camera features. Copied larger screens but failed completely with the small outdated retina display and the phone is so ancient it can't even multitask lol
Huh? It's not that different. Both have "retina" type displays.
http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/02/bla ... omparison/
Display
Getting down to the basics of specifications, the iPhone features a 4-inch, 640×1136 resolution display boasting an impressive pixel density of 326ppi. The Z10 has a 4.2-inch panel with a resolution of 768×1280 pixels, giving it a density of 355ppi. Both are impressively sharp, and – although the Z10 has the higher pixel count and density, the difference isn’t easy to detect with the human eye. If at all.

One thing I did notice (but only when the iPhone and Z10 were side by side) was that the BlackBerry handset had a faint yellow tint. It did affect color reproduction, more so the whites and blues. Contrast levels are good on both, but blacks appear darker on the BlackBerry. Colors are a little more vivid on the iPhone, and the screen in general is brighter and seems sharper. Even with the iPhone at 75% and the Z10 at 100% the Apple handset was noticeably brighter and clearer.
Bill
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4577 posts
880 upvotes
Mississauga
gilboman wrote:
I don't think they copied the ancient and low tech iPhone. I mean the Bb actually has a HD screen, can actually multi task and can actually handle notifications.

The iPhone has none of that. The iPhone is a me too device for past 3 years and always trying to chase android and Samsung. They copied camera features. Copied larger screens but failed completely with the small outdated retina display and the phone is so ancient it can't even multitask lol
Lol exactly how can someone copy iphone nowadays
Jun 26, 2004
426 posts
84 upvotes
gilboman wrote:

One of the most uninformed posts I've read all day. Thanks for the chuckle.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
mikeo007 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 5:27 pm
ya, apple is pretty bad that they released such a crap phone. I mean the apps can't even share with other apps info. Everything exists in a silo because ios is ancient and due to existing in a silo, no multitasking.

hope apple gets it together for iphone 5s.. my mom is asking for a smartphone and i need a cheap dumb phone for her and iphone fits the bill but in its current form, can't even do the basic stuff my mom is asking for and the screen is too small and resolution too low,
Nov 22, 2009
427 posts
46 upvotes
Markham Ontario
mikeo007 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 5:27 pm
A chuckle is about all his posts are good for .........
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
ceredon wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 4:27 pm
You know, I really hate it when Android user troll iPhone specific threads. I dislike it just as much when iPhone users do it.
BlueBill wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 4:47 pm
IMHO BlackBerry just doesn't have the time or resources to play catch up now. I can iMessage on my Mac or any of my iOS devices, can I BB messenger outside their phone? I just don't see how BB can claw their way to third place (over WP8) without an ecosystem or partnership in place.

Anyway you'll love the ignore feature this forum offers.
See gilboman is an example. You really want to emulate that?
gilboman wrote:

Yeah, cuz when iPhone went retina in 2010 there were soooo many androids that even came close. And the first android phons with their gigantic screens. Oh wait, they were smaller displays than iPhone and had physical keyboards. That was just 3 or so years ago. If Apple fell behind it certainly wasn't 3 years ago. Until JB and butter Android was admittedly unusable (only the truly delusion even try to deny that).

Tell me truly, is ignorance bliss?
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5255 posts
120 upvotes
Nepean
I am not too familiar with Blackberry, but I have tried Apple, Android, and Windows devices.

As mentioned before, one aspect that will "change the game" is if a company has developers to make top tier apps, or even apps that are hits among other platforms on the bb10 platform. Windows still has poor app selection, Android not so much, and Apple still leads the battle. But as mentioned earlier Blackberry having control of hardware and software does give it CONTROL, just as apple has had since incarnation.

Look at Android as an example, they have been trying to build "Nexus flagship" devices for 4yrs now. Never was the OS and hardware matched to give a fluid like experience that Apple had from day 1. It was only recently with Jelly Bean and the Nexus 4 launch that they succeeded in making a completely fluid device. Thats 4yrs of hardware and software miss-match to get to the Nexus 4.

BB10 looks like something with potential, the polish of apple, the control of apple...but does the OS have the versatility of android, rather does it need the versatility of android to be a success? And the biggest question, will it ever get developer support?

The marketing campaign they have for it seems pretty good. The device looks beautiful, but is it too late?
heatware available upon request
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2007
4577 posts
880 upvotes
Mississauga
bpopd wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 3:34 pm
On the surface, the layout is the same as apple, the material finish is the same as apple. The UI is pretty similar to apple. How is it not a copy?
I really dont see how it sets itself apart from what has already been done by apple. Android copied apple nice and early, and it took them 4yrs to get to a level where you can say its a great alternative. Now BB10, like 5yrs late to the game comes with another me too device.

What is the reasoning? Are they banking on current BB users wanting the iphone experience, but has brand preference to blackberry?

Im not understanding all the hype.
Did you got a chance to use the Z10 ??? I do and i will encourage you to do before starting threads like this .. I drive an Accord so can i start a thread saying How is Tesla not a me too car ? ( Four tires, Doors ) .. Every OS has Pros and Cons .. Please go to a rogers store or visit the RFD BB10 Thread below and decide your choice ..

73 Reviewers ( Dont know how Rogers Mod these posts ) cant be wrong .. read their reviews as well ..

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wireless ... ed=RIMLBLK
what an amazing phone.
I have to say, after using an iphone and a samsung galaxy, I am so refreshed to own this Z10. Obviously Blackberry poured their heart and soul into this product because they have thought of everything I need in my life. I am in love with the keyboard, it is so slick and works perfectly and makes my conversations faster as it predicts my next word. The phone is so easy to use. I would say play with it before reading the manual; you will get the feel for it. I can honestly tell you that this phone out beats my iphone and samsung by far; they feel outdated and ugly compared to this beauty!
Worth the Switch
I've had an Iphone, a BB Bold 9900, and recently the Samsung Note, Im the Happiest with my new Z10. I found the reps had incorrect knowledge of the Z10 especially after getting it home and using it. One place kept trying to push the Iphone down my throat saying the Z10 was already outdated with a 5mp camera. It has an 8MP camera. I found the working demo of the Z10 locked in Demo Mode didn't do the phone justice and the reps didn't know how to use their own Demo Phone of the Z10. it was frustrating and know one knew you had to tap the screen after each prompt or tip. I finally found a working Z10 at a different store and the rep was knowledgable even though he said his experience was limitied. It really made up my mind. I find the software keyboard very intuitive after a full day of typing and watching all the tutorials. Its worth taking your time to learn how to use it. After using an iphone, a Note, and a bold I forgot how much I loved the BB for emails and its great finally having ONE phone instead of a BB for work and a note for personal. It has all the apps I wanted/needed and it has many great features. I really find the BB HUB easy to use and very helpful. I cant wait to have our IT guy set up my Z10 for work however so far the personal email account is great, the swipes take a bit of work to get used to however its easy to learn and very natural once you understand it and go through the tutorials. DONT LISTEN TO BAD SALES REPS PUSHING PHONES THEY DONT KNOW FIND A WORKING MODEL AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION. I felt secure knowing rogers has a 15 day satisfaction garentee however Im so sure I will be keeping this. It has everything for work and personal on one device. Worth the try! Good build quality I like how the glass is recessed with a slight plastic rim so my fingers don't wander off the screen and the sides of the glass are protected. The keyboard is first rate with great word suggestions I don't find it as inaccurate as the iphone and its still more accurate then the note I broke. I really enjoy the keyboard and hub for emailing and keeping up with social media. The camera is fun too and I cant wait to use the BBM video. I haven't tried any games yet although Im not a huge gamer, The BB reminders and Calender are excellent especially being able to color code the calendar dates. The tiles are helpful also on the home screen. This is a fast and responsive smartphone that easily shares a spot amoungst the titans. Best of all - ITS CANADIAN.
Jun 26, 2004
426 posts
84 upvotes
bwield wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 5:32 pm
A chuckle is about all his posts are good for .........
Ya, I see that. Every forum has its tools I guess.
Mayoo wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 6:42 pm
Did you got a chance to use the Z10 ??? I do and i will encourage you to do before starting threads like this .. I drive an Accord so can i start a thread saying How is Tesla not a me too car ? ( Four tires, Doors ) .. Every OS has Pros and Cons .. Please go to a rogers store or visit the RFD BB10 Thread below and decide your choice ..

73 Reviewers ( Dont know how Rogers Mod these posts ) cant be wrong .. read their reviews as well ..

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wireless ... ed=RIMLBLK
I know you stated that you don't know how Rogers mods the posts, but you should read through them. A lot of them are from people who don't even own the phone (haters and fanboys alike).

Don't underestimate the power of fanatics...they can tilt almost any scale in their favour if they're organized and rabid enough.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5255 posts
120 upvotes
Nepean
I prefer not to give in to the hype of evangelist.
I also agree with mikeo007's last statement: Don't underestimate the power of fanatics...they can tilt almost any scale in their favour if they're organized and rabid enough.
heatware available upon request
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2276 posts
87 upvotes
You guys are making the assumption that the BB10 phones coming out were intended to dominate the market; they weren't. They were simply intended to put BBRY back into the game. At this point, BBRY was pretty much left for dead. The fact that it's been able to create a compelling device, that can stand up to the top two phones in the market is quite an accomplishment. Just look at the buzz around the phone from all the hardcore iphone and android lovers. That itself is a huge, huge accomplishment. How many other phone manufacturers would love to receive this kind of attention and hate from iphone/android users? BBRY is obviously doing something right.

All BBRY needs to do is stop the bleeding, and to carve out a small slice of the pie. I believe the BB10 will do that. Once that is done, they can look to building on the momentum.

IMO, BBRY will just be bought out in the next couple of years anyways. Who knows, maybe aapl will buy it out and incorporate the best features of the BB10 (QNX, swipe, HUB, security, patents, etc).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
ItechJester wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 12:21 am
You guys are making the assumption that the BB10 phones coming out were intended to dominate the market; they weren't. They were simply intended to put BBRY back into the game. At this point, BBRY was pretty much left for dead. The fact that it's been able to create a compelling device, that can stand up to the top two phones in the market is quite an accomplishment. Just look at the buzz around the phone from all the hardcore iphone and android lovers. That itself is a huge, huge accomplishment. How many other phone manufacturers would love to receive this kind of attention and hate from iphone/android users? BBRY is obviously doing something right.

All BBRY needs to do is stop the bleeding, and to carve out a small slice of the pie. I believe the BB10 will do that. Once that is done, they can look to building on the momentum.

IMO, BBRY will just be bought out in the next couple of years anyways. Who knows, maybe aapl will buy it out and incorporate the best features of the BB10 (QNX, swipe, HUB, security, patents, etc).
Exactly. I guarantee you that Windows 8 for phones did not generate this much buzz, at least not in my circles or on the sites I read. A big difference is that Windows Mobile never had much real respect. People used it because they didn't know better and though "hey, it's just like my PC". RIM had tons and tons of respect, in the industry and from consumers. They made some major missteps and the 2 at the top were full of hubris, but this is their chance to get back in the game. If they came out and set expectations that they were going to dominate the market immediately, they would be setting themselves up for failure.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
mikeo007 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 7:02 pm
Ya, I see that. Every forum has its tools I guess.

I know you stated that you don't know how Rogers mods the posts, but you should read through them. A lot of them are from people who don't even own the phone (haters and fanboys alike).

Don't underestimate the power of fanatics...they can tilt almost any scale in their favour if they're organized and rabid enough.
bpopd wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 7:46 pm
I prefer not to give in to the hype of evangelist.
I also agree with mikeo007's last statement: Don't underestimate the power of fanatics...they can tilt almost any scale in their favour if they're organized and rabid enough.
But with this guy it is nuts. He is everywhere. Obviously he's in every Android thread, not discussing his love of Android but his obsession with iPhone. He'll parachute into a BB thread to bash the iPhone. Then he's in a Windows thread, to bash the iPhone. I reviewed his posting history a little. He'll even drop into car thread, investment threads, travel threads and discuss the iphone. I'm not kidding. He never wants to discuss the topic at hand unless he can drop some fanciful "facts" he has made up that day about Apple and the iPhone. At first I thought he was a parody alt for another user. No one would be such a religious nut for real, yet now he has convinced me that he is sincere.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
had the phone for 4 days now.
this phone is great. honestly this is how a smartphone should work.
great interface. nice gesture system works well.
only gripe atm is app support but that will come in time and android sideloading is fine for now.
× < >