Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1697 posts
185 upvotes
GTA
infamouskid wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 2:23 pm
had the phone for 4 days now.
this phone is great. honestly this is how a smartphone should work.
great interface. nice gesture system works well.
only gripe atm is app support but that will come in time and android sideloading is fine for now.
How do you like typing on this? I'm on the fence on waiting for the Q versus Z. Based on the videos I saw, touchscreen keyboard looks pretty good.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
Until another phone has a buttery smooth OS/browsing (no screen tear, force reset/app closures, stutters from opening + closing apps), complete app selection + respectable phone camera, I won't be switching any time soon lol, regardless of 8 core phones (which imo, is to compensate for the lack of OS fluidity).
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3701 posts
246 upvotes
Me and my gf had low expectations but tried it at a bell kiosk, we found it to be a very competitive phone that we will seriously consider. So far this yr we've owned s3, ip5, razr hd, optimus g, & n4 arrives today. Im 1 of the most unbiased ppl when it comes to phones, having literaaly owned most of the best phones currently. Texting/msging is great, browsing was good. Dont like the rear, doesnt feel as premium as ip5, razr hd, & optimus g, on par with the s3 (not a good thing in this case)

My fav phone so far is the optimus g btw. If you just listen to what others say, everyone will just tell you ip5 or s3. Try other phones, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
1630 posts
396 upvotes
Burnaby
its not a me too phone because it doesn't copy other companies bountiful app stores.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3721 posts
222 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 5:56 pm
its not a me too phone because it doesn't copy other companies bountiful app stores.
you mean mostly "Crap"store.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
For a consumer who isn't part of an enterprise environment, the features compared to the competitors' phones are minimal, although apparently the browser is better and can do Adobe Flash embedded into web pages.

For the business users, the other platforms lack the whole enterprise security/manageability/auditability/middleware integration that's present in the BlackBerry.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 6:07 pm
For a consumer who isn't part of an enterprise environment, the features compared to the competitors' phones are minimal, although apparently the browser is better and can do Adobe Flash embedded into web pages.

For the business users, the other platforms lack the whole enterprise security/manageability/auditability/middleware integration that's present in the BlackBerry.
I think BB is doing fine in the business department (although I hear some companies are switching to iPhone) but the real gold mine it wants to hit is the personal consumer market.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
6388 posts
628 upvotes
Ontario
fooit wrote:
Feb 7th, 2013 9:13 pm
Almost every new smartphone today is "me too", no?
And why not? You don't seem to complain about 500 different laptops, 50 kinds of bread in a supermarket or 20 compact sedans available?
I'd say Windows Phone 8 is not me too. The OS experience is quite different, and paired with a nice phone like a Lumia 920. Obviously a smaller market share but different.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3701 posts
246 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 5:56 pm
Coming from someone who has owned the following androids this yr: s3, razr hd, optimus g, & now n4, i dont think android fanboys remember android launched with almost no apps, literally. My current fav phone is the optimus g, also had a ip5 earlier this yr
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7442 posts
565 upvotes
Rainne wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 7:04 pm
I think BB is doing fine in the business department (although I hear some companies are switching to iPhone) but the real gold mine it wants to hit is the personal consumer market.
Business department is possibly still doing ok, because security wise it's still the best. Some business don't need that much security, so they would go for a iphone network. There was some bleeding in the enterprise part of RIM's business.

It is not possible to capture the personal consumer market, because Apple has a full monopoly on it. I hate to admit it, but itune is better than google play. The only selling point for google is that nexus 4 is only 300 to 350 compare to the iphone5 and crapberry which will be around 500 bucks.

We can await RIM to flop on these new BBs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9964 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
Bb has a bigger established user base then windows ...they might not be able to convert too many apple or Samsung users..but this device will help hold the fort IMO

mkjr wrote:
Feb 8th, 2013 6:01 pm
you mean mostly "Crap"store.
This comment is a load of crap...assume 10% of apps are quality heck in 5%
70k gives you 3500 good apps
Vs.800k and 40k good apps.. Better chance you'll find something in the bigger market
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Jan 27, 2013
381 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
There are so many new and innovating things that BB10 has. I didn't think that members of RFD would be so quick to judge.

BBM >>> iMessage
BBM Video >>> Facetime >>> Skype
BBM Voice >>> Skype
Bedside Mode >>> Do Not Disturb
BB Call reliability >>> iPhone Call reliability
BB autocorrect/word prediction >>> iPhone autocorrect/word prediction
Z10 screen ppi >>> iPhone 5 screen ppi
Z10 browser >>> Safari
BB10 Maps >>> iOS Maps
BB Voice Control >>> Siri

Time Shift Camera feature is AMAAAZING!!
BBM Screen Sharing is AMAAAZING!!!

Not to mention, the Z10 also has NFC (for mobile payments), as well as DLNA capabilities. Oh, and I love that it supports micro SD cards up to 64GB. These are ALL things the iPhone doesn't have, but I’m sure will eventually come out in steady, incremental upgrades over the years.

As far as I'm concerned, the Z10 has the iPhone 5 beat in every category except for Apps. But I really don't need an app catalogue of 700k apps to choose from since I only have 20-30 on my phone. Give me the important ones and ones that I need, and I'll be happy. Skype is coming (confirmed). Netflix is coming (confirmed). 90% of the top 500 Apps in the App Store are already in BlackBerry World.

Having developers support a new OS with 70,000 apps before the phone even got released is nothing to sneeze at. BB developers make more money than another other ecosystem - give it time and BlackBerry World will be filled with tons of amazing, natively built apps.

The hardware on the BB10 is a perfect combo of beauty and function. The top and bottom are slightly curved downwards to make it easy to slide it in your pocket. The bigger bezels also provide a great grip for when gaming on the phone in landscape mode.

People complain that the back doesn't feel "quality" enough. I don't get why people are so picky about this? 95% of people put some sort of cover or protector on their phone anyway!! Having a removable back door is great so I can swap out a battery if needed.

I know that the Z10 is not perfect, but no 1.0 OS is when it's first released. I'm upset that BBRY crippled BB10's notification and sound profiles. The implementation and amount of customization I could do in BBOS made me extremely efficient, but now it's just on par with the iPhone. I really hope this gets addressed in the near future. Email implementation without BIS is not the same - I miss it. There are definitely a few minor bugs and nuances that need to be addressed, and I'm sure they eventually will - most likely in a 10.1 software update when the devices are released in the US. But even with these minor bugs, it still runs smoother and more efficiently than iOS 6.1 or Jelly Bean.

2 years from now when the iPhone gets rid of its 'home button', adds more gestures, copies the Time Shift camera and adds a Facetime Screen Sharing, Apple will tell the world they have something magical to share with us. The iPhone 7 will be a remarkable device. But meanwhile, the BBRY community will know better.

PS - have you noticed that Apple hasn't come out with anything truly innovative since the release of the iPad? Siri sucks. iOS Maps is horrible. The new connector upset a lot of people and remains proprietary. The new iPad got released and all they did was upgrade the memory to 128GB?? That's it??!?! Apple's innovation died when Steve Jobs died (RIP). It'll take the world another year or so to realize it, but it's true.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3155 upvotes
Calgary
kingtosh82 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 7:02 pm
but no 1.0 OS is when it's first released
You can actually consider this to be version 2.0 as version 1.0 was what you saw on the Playbook. Although a number of people considered the Playbook to be a commercial failure -- from an engineering point of view, it was essentially the first stepping stone to delivering the handset.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Jan 27, 2013
381 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Nope - I'm not a BB employee. I'm just not an ignorant consumer. I try out a device before I buy it and make my own judgements. It's quite refreshing actually.
shaolinmonk wrote:
Feb 9th, 2013 7:57 pm
Nice I think we have a Bb employee here to convert us...

Group buy discounts please!
× < >