• Feb 18th, 2013 3:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
Bb has a bigger established user base then windows ...they might not be able to convert too many apple or Samsung users..but this device will help hold the fort IMO

mkjr wrote: you mean mostly "Crap"store.
This comment is a load of crap...assume 10% of apps are quality heck in 5%
70k gives you 3500 good apps
Vs.800k and 40k good apps.. Better chance you'll find something in the bigger market
[removed for signature violation]
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
There are so many new and innovating things that BB10 has. I didn't think that members of RFD would be so quick to judge.

BBM >>> iMessage
BBM Video >>> Facetime >>> Skype
BBM Voice >>> Skype
Bedside Mode >>> Do Not Disturb
BB Call reliability >>> iPhone Call reliability
BB autocorrect/word prediction >>> iPhone autocorrect/word prediction
Z10 screen ppi >>> iPhone 5 screen ppi
Z10 browser >>> Safari
BB10 Maps >>> iOS Maps
BB Voice Control >>> Siri

Time Shift Camera feature is AMAAAZING!!
BBM Screen Sharing is AMAAAZING!!!

Not to mention, the Z10 also has NFC (for mobile payments), as well as DLNA capabilities. Oh, and I love that it supports micro SD cards up to 64GB. These are ALL things the iPhone doesn't have, but I’m sure will eventually come out in steady, incremental upgrades over the years.

As far as I'm concerned, the Z10 has the iPhone 5 beat in every category except for Apps. But I really don't need an app catalogue of 700k apps to choose from since I only have 20-30 on my phone. Give me the important ones and ones that I need, and I'll be happy. Skype is coming (confirmed). Netflix is coming (confirmed). 90% of the top 500 Apps in the App Store are already in BlackBerry World.

Having developers support a new OS with 70,000 apps before the phone even got released is nothing to sneeze at. BB developers make more money than another other ecosystem - give it time and BlackBerry World will be filled with tons of amazing, natively built apps.

The hardware on the BB10 is a perfect combo of beauty and function. The top and bottom are slightly curved downwards to make it easy to slide it in your pocket. The bigger bezels also provide a great grip for when gaming on the phone in landscape mode.

People complain that the back doesn't feel "quality" enough. I don't get why people are so picky about this? 95% of people put some sort of cover or protector on their phone anyway!! Having a removable back door is great so I can swap out a battery if needed.

I know that the Z10 is not perfect, but no 1.0 OS is when it's first released. I'm upset that BBRY crippled BB10's notification and sound profiles. The implementation and amount of customization I could do in BBOS made me extremely efficient, but now it's just on par with the iPhone. I really hope this gets addressed in the near future. Email implementation without BIS is not the same - I miss it. There are definitely a few minor bugs and nuances that need to be addressed, and I'm sure they eventually will - most likely in a 10.1 software update when the devices are released in the US. But even with these minor bugs, it still runs smoother and more efficiently than iOS 6.1 or Jelly Bean.

2 years from now when the iPhone gets rid of its 'home button', adds more gestures, copies the Time Shift camera and adds a Facetime Screen Sharing, Apple will tell the world they have something magical to share with us. The iPhone 7 will be a remarkable device. But meanwhile, the BBRY community will know better.

PS - have you noticed that Apple hasn't come out with anything truly innovative since the release of the iPad? Siri sucks. iOS Maps is horrible. The new connector upset a lot of people and remains proprietary. The new iPad got released and all they did was upgrade the memory to 128GB?? That's it??!?! Apple's innovation died when Steve Jobs died (RIP). It'll take the world another year or so to realize it, but it's true.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3241 upvotes
Calgary
kingtosh82 wrote: but no 1.0 OS is when it's first released
You can actually consider this to be version 2.0 as version 1.0 was what you saw on the Playbook. Although a number of people considered the Playbook to be a commercial failure -- from an engineering point of view, it was essentially the first stepping stone to delivering the handset.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
Nice I think we have a Bb employee here to convert us...

Group buy discounts please!
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Nope - I'm not a BB employee. I'm just not an ignorant consumer. I try out a device before I buy it and make my own judgements. It's quite refreshing actually.
shaolinmonk wrote: Nice I think we have a Bb employee here to convert us...

Group buy discounts please!
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
kingtosh82 wrote: Nope - I'm not a BB employee. I'm just not an ignorant consumer. I try out a device before I buy it and make my own judgements. It's quite refreshing actually.
So no RFD Canadian group buy discount?!?!!??!? Booooooooooo
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4758 posts
383 upvotes
kingtosh82 wrote: Nope - I'm not a BB employee. I'm just not an ignorant consumer. I try out a device before I buy it and make my own judgements. It's quite refreshing actually.
It was refreshing, for about a day - then I sold the phone I won from the #BlackBerry10NYC event.

BB10 is a huge improvement for current BlackBerry users while current Apple and Google users have compromises in order to get a few of the benefits BB10 offers. It only gets better from here for BlackBerry, hopefully...
Dec 12, 2010
611 posts
55 upvotes
kingtosh82 wrote:
BBM >>> iMessage
BBM Video >>> Facetime >>> Skype
BBM Voice >>> Skype
Is this a joke?
iMessage + Gtalk + WhatsApp + Facebook Messenger + Skype + Kakao + Line + Any other messaging app available under the sun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BBM

Now BBM is great, the problem is... relative to market share nobody uses bbm anymore.

Probably you will make the argument the android ports (sorry bb10 apps) are coming but as a consumer why should I wait months for the apps I need now?
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
BBM has many more features than the apps you listed. Status updates, group chats, calendar integration, location sharing, media sharing, data compression, free voip calls over WiFi, and now video and screen sharing with BB10.

You're right - my BBM contact list has definitely shrunk over the past year or so, but it doesn't make iMessage better than BBM.

If you live and die by apps and are heavily invested in Apple's app ecosystem, then it's not worthwhile for you to switch over. But as I already mentioned, 90% of the top 500 iOS and Android apps are already available for BB10. Skype and Netflix are on their way as well, most likely in time for the US launch in March.

Skype has confirmed that it's BB10 app will be an Android port. So what's wrong with that? If it works just as well on BB10 as it does on Android, that's all that matters.
Xpwmata wrote: Is this a joke?
iMessage + Gtalk + WhatsApp + Facebook Messenger + Skype + Kakao + Line + Any other messaging app available under the sun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BBM

Now BBM is great, the problem is... relative to market share nobody uses bbm anymore.

Probably you will make the argument the android ports (sorry bb10 apps) are coming but as a consumer why should I wait months for the apps I need now?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
651 upvotes
BC Interior
kingtosh82 wrote: BBM has many more features than the apps you listed. Status updates, group chats, calendar integration, location sharing, media sharing, data compression, free voip calls over WiFi, and now video and screen sharing with BB10.

You're right - my BBM contact list has definitely shrunk over the past year or so, but it doesn't make iMessage better than BBM.

If you live and die by apps and are heavily invested in Apple's app ecosystem, then it's not worthwhile for you to switch over. But as I already mentioned, 90% of the top 500 iOS and Android apps are already available for BB10. Skype and Netflix are on their way as well, most likely in time for the US launch in March.

Skype has confirmed that it's BB10 app will be an Android port. So what's wrong with that? If it works just as well on BB10 as it does on Android, that's all that matters.
Ouch, a bit of a scoff from MS not investing in skype on the z10.

Instagram sounds like a port also.

why oh why..
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, I agree. But if it runs just as good as a native app, no one will know except nerds like us. :)

I have a feeling that Instagram will be native. Facebook and RIM ..err.. BlackBerry have a good relationship. The Facebook app is native and uses Cascades. But then again, just like Skype, if it is a port and runs just as smooth, no one will tell the difference.
ichpen wrote: Ouch, a bit of a scoff from MS not investing in skype on the z10.

Instagram sounds like a port also.

why oh why..
Jun 26, 2004
514 posts
177 upvotes
kingtosh82 wrote: Skype is coming (confirmed). Netflix is coming (confirmed). 90% of the top 500 Apps in the App Store are already in BlackBerry World.
Most of this post is hater/fanboy BS, but I've highlighted my favourite part.

Calling your bluff on this one, you're full of it.
Netflix was NEVER confirmed.
There are nowhere NEAR 90% of the top apps in BB World. I'm looking at Google play and App Store as well.
I see ONE of the top 50...Angry Birds Star Wars.

Just because you type things, doesn't make them true.
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I don't hate iOS. I just think it's boring and dated. BB10 offers users a fresh user experience.

There ARE 90% of the top 600 iOS and Android apps in BlackBerry World. This is FACT. Here's the link to prove it: http://www.blackberryos.com/content/bla ... unch-4933/

Let me ask you something - let's pretend that BB and Apple both had the exact same apps in their respective app stores. Would you still hate BB as much as you do? What kinds of innovations are you looking for in a smartphone that would make you switch platforms? I just curious...

Let me ask you another thing - what do you have against BlackBerry? Why do you hate it so much? Is your entire self esteem tied to the smartphone you use?

Just because you choose to ignore things, doesn't make them less true.
mikeo007 wrote: Most of this post is hater/fanboy BS, but I've highlighted my favourite part.

Calling your bluff on this one, you're full of it.
Netflix was NEVER confirmed.
There are nowhere NEAR 90% of the top apps in BB World. I'm looking at Google play and App Store as well.
I see ONE of the top 50...Angry Birds Star Wars.

Just because you type things, doesn't make them true.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
I was WTF, 90% of the Top 500. LOL

I only have 3 apps installed. Angry Birds Star Wars, Flixter & TuneIn.

I'm not asking for 500. I only want 7.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jun 26, 2004
514 posts
177 upvotes
Guess you missed the part where I'm looking in app world right now. There are next to none of the top apps. Angry birds is the only one in the top 50. That is a FACT, backed up by actual evidence (or lack of it in this case).

What metric are they using to measure the "top 600" apps. Because they're not using apple or googles official top apps lists.
kingtosh82 wrote: I don't hate iOS. I just think it's boring and dated. BB10 offers users a fresh user experience.

There ARE 90% of the top 600 iOS and Android apps in BlackBerry World. This is FACT. Here's the link to prove it: http://www.blackberryos.com/content/bla ... unch-4933/

Let me ask you something - let's pretend that BB and Apple both had the exact same apps in their respective app stores. Would you still hate BB as much as you do? What kinds of innovations are you looking for in a smartphone that would make you switch platforms? I just curious...

Let me ask you another thing - what do you have against BlackBerry? Why do you hate it so much? Is your entire self esteem tied to the smartphone you use?

Just because you choose to ignore things, doesn't make them less true.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6929 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
I just dont understand what is the fuzz about the Android ports .. here is a video of Google Navigation ( which was taken 4mths ago on dev Alpha A) .. This is on Gingerbread Runtime and BB Promised Jellybean is coming .. QNX handles Runtimes fluently ..

BTW i do love Native Apps built on Cascades .. but something is better than waiting .

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4725 posts
2778 upvotes
What iSheeps don't grasp is the smartphone/tablet world does NOT revolve around Apple anymore, the game has shifted to Google and it's Android's lead to lose now. iOS and other iCraps have been continually losing grip and is only a couple years away from disappearing into oblivion, much like Macs did in the 90's. The core players in this sector will soon be Google and MS, and everyone knows it. I wish BB makes a phenomenal comeback and round out the top 3.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2525 posts
1046 upvotes
Burnaby
bottom line is the masses want apps. if they want more sales, they must bolster their app market. selling phones to only business people wont cut it, especialy since most other phones do everything the BB can do.

all BB has is their security, and BBM if you can even call that a feature.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
183 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote: bottom line is the masses want apps. if they want more sales, they must bolster their app market. selling phones to only business people wont cut it, especialy since most other phones do everything the BB can do.

all BB has is their security, and BBM if you can even call that a feature.
The apps argument is there but is abused with no substance. With the hundreds of thousands or so apps out there how many does a single person actually use/need? People will play games here and there and stick with the 'core' apps like Googlemaps/Skype etc. No one (unless they have no life and just use apps 24/7 *exaggeration*) will regularly use even 100 apps at a time. No different then on PC, or even on a gaming console.

Its not a numbers game, as long as BB10 can provide the popular apps and keep up with regular updates and future apps then it'll do fine.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
ilove wrote: What iSheeps don't grasp is the smartphone/tablet world does NOT revolve around Apple anymore, the game has shifted to Google and it's Android's lead to lose now. iOS and other iCraps have been continually losing grip and is only a couple years away from disappearing into oblivion, much like Macs did in the 90's. The core players in this sector will soon be Google and MS, and everyone knows it. I wish BB makes a phenomenal comeback and round out the top 3.
Lol apple and Samsung own the smartphone world, apple still the tablet world

Yes there is slippage and people are predicting a downward trend but apple is still on top of the mountain because they make the most money and are still seen as the benchmark

Has iOS gotten a little long in the tooth? Yes but its a simple rock solid os that is very well done.

Fanboys and nerds ( me included) just keep harping about the fact that its doesn't share as well as android and its gotten boring...

Deep pockets means they'll be able to stay in the game

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)