• Feb 18th, 2013 3:13 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
I'm on the fence about getting rid of my iPhone 5 and picking up the z10. With regards to bb's crappy app selection, can't you just side load android apps like you can with the Playbook? That would solve the lack of apps problem.
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
BlackBerry isn't going anywhere. They don't have to be #1 to survive. They have a worldwide presence on over 650 carriers. And carriers WANT BB to remain relevant and thrive so that the smartphone space isn't ruled by Apple and Samsung. More choice breeds competition, which is better for consumers.

If you want to talk about stability, the QNX (the foundation of BB10) is much more stable and reliable than iOS. It runs the Cisco routers than run the internet, is used in nuclear power plants, and is the OS of choice for the majority of car electronic systems.

Most apps will soon become irrelevant when HTML5 websites gain traction. Why develop for one OS, when you can just make an html5 website and anyone with a browser has access to your website?

BlackBerry's main strength is security. Let me ask you something... When mobile payments through NFC start to become popular over the next few years, will you trust your iPhone (which can be jailbroken in 2 minutes) with all of your banking info? I think not.
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Yes. Android apps can be sideloaded onto the BB10 until the arrive officially in BlackBerry World.
diggler649 wrote: I'm on the fence about getting rid of my iPhone 5 and picking up the z10. With regards to bb's crappy app selection, can't you just side load android apps like you can with the Playbook? That would solve the lack of apps problem.
Jun 26, 2004
514 posts
177 upvotes
diggler649 wrote: I'm on the fence about getting rid of my iPhone 5 and picking up the z10. With regards to bb's crappy app selection, can't you just side load android apps like you can with the Playbook? That would solve the lack of apps problem.
Only a limited selection of apps can be side loaded. If there are specific apps you're wondering about, I'd suggest searching to see if anyone has tried it first.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
651 upvotes
BC Interior
kingtosh82 wrote: BlackBerry isn't going anywhere. They don't have to be #1 to survive. They have a worldwide presence on over 650 carriers. And carriers WANT BB to remain relevant and thrive so that the smartphone space isn't ruled by Apple and Samsung. More choice breeds competition, which is better for consumers.

If you want to talk about stability, the QNX (the foundation of BB10) is much more stable and reliable than iOS. It runs the Cisco routers than run the internet, is used in nuclear power plants, and is the OS of choice for the majority of car electronic systems.

Most apps will soon become irrelevant when HTML5 websites gain traction. Why develop for one OS, when you can just make an html5 website and anyone with a browser has access to your website?

BlackBerry's main strength is security. Let me ask you something... When mobile payments through NFC start to become popular over the next few years, will you trust your iPhone (which can be jailbroken in 2 minutes) with all of your banking info? I think not.
Hold on there.... Fanboy alerts going off.

1. Carriers are interested in subscribers, they couldn't give a crap about the OEM. The more phones they sell, larger the subs base, more cash they make. Clearly US carriers didn't see fit to align to the BB launch, evidence of BB's lack of sway in the US. Playbooks were taken off shelves pretty sharpish when sales didn't materialize. Has very little to do with the OEM, everything to do with sales. As such BB needs to grow very aggressively. I'm sure they'd be very happy at the number 1 spot :)

2. "An operating system does not a device make". The relevance of this is how?

3. You absolutely cannot dismiss the importance of apps (being the life blood of any platform these days). Apps market is growing not shrinking. HTML5 or no html5, people are still writing native apps, using cross platform generators and so forth. Whether an app is written in objective C or javascript behind the scenes is irrelevant if it's not available for consumption on an app store.

4. Mobile wallets have been out on the iphone/android for a long time with few reports of rampant fraud. They were even out in non NFC form on BB 6 and 7 for a while. There are a variety of NFC and non-NFC based solutions out there in many regions with varying levels of success and popularity. Canada is very behind on that front.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
139 upvotes
Can't believe people talk as if BBM is still relevant (unless it's work related), the masses have jumped shipped like 1-2 years ago and anyone's BBM friend contact list is a shell of its former self.
Banned
Jan 2, 2013
115 posts
5 upvotes
2012 tech in 2013. say no to BB.

wait until the samsung s4 and the iphone5s is released in a couple of months, BB say goodbye to your sales.
privia
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
Specs seems to always come up.

It can't be about cost, BlackBerry has the funds to give us "Note 2" specs or even higher. So why do they continue to ignore it, they've always been behind for years so why didn't they give us the latest.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Sep 12, 2008
164 posts
14 upvotes
don't shoot yourself in the foot and cop a blackberry 10 device until any of the supposed claims actually materialize (i.e. skype, netflix etc). ahem, sounds like a broken record, i heard all this ***** when the playbook was 'hyped' up, fortunately i was able to sell that pos for only a small loss as i saw the light. playbook users are STILL waiting for skype, netflix etc... lol wouldn't be surprised if some bb lovers perish before said claims come to fruition

there are a few notable posters in this thread whom have an unusually severe devotion to BlackBerry -- they're either: 1) employees or 2) 'delusional' shareholders whom feel they need to pump out said company on message boards to potentially enhance sales / returns on their 'investment' / protect the livelihood of their pension. check out crackberry . com, they're pure nutheads, sad to say. spewing excess verbiage i.e. thor is 'better' than steve jobs; bb 10 is brand spanking new, it's supposed to have some quirks! just look at iphone's iOS when it first came out (unfortunately that was 2007); you can sideload apps! (why the hell would you dump $700 on a BB10 to sideload ANDROID apps, when you could purchase flagship android phones for less and have spare change?). the best part is when the honchos still pimp out the whole SECURITY feature (love it when internet users on a message board state this -- i forgot that high level execs of R&D teams and angel investors post on a discount shopping forum)

in full disclosure, i carry three cellphones on a daily basis: the iphone 5, blackberry 9900 and a s3. i keep it real and recognize wtf is good what's not.
bb's venture into QNX on a mobile device to try and steal shares from android/apple's app-laced ecosystems is destined for failure.
pushing back the keyboard variant of their phones, eliminating BIS, problems syncing outlook & bb10, and a whole slew of other issues have been put on the back burner to try and appease the mass market.
bb's are still my preferred device when it comes to checking mail and composing letters; however, that's it and that's all.

p.s. always wondered why the hell the company placed alicia keys as their spokesperson, i understand the whole 'artist' theme going on but she's not exactly a figure representative of the business world. since the direction of the company has steered from the enterprising user to a cluster*****, they should've just pimped justin bieber out -- regardless of his asking price -- would've at least attracted 100+ million new adopters
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Carriers want aa viable third option in the smartphone arena. CARRIERS want to dictate the terms - they're sick of being told what to do by Apple. WP8 marketshare shrank last quarter - this is a perfect opportunity for BB to reclaim 3rd place.

Apps are important now, but in the future, everything will be on the web and powered by the browser, which is why Apple, Samsumg and BBRY are heaavily investing their resources into the mobile web experience.

The mobile wallet on Apple is proprietary and joke. NFC is the future of mobile payments. Banks are investing in NFC technology. But iOS is a joke in terms of security, which is why NFC was not included in the iPhone 5. If you feel secure in putting your bank and CC info on your Apple device, it's only a matter of time until you're hacked. And Android with its exponential rapid increase in malware?? Don't even get me started...
ichpen wrote: Hold on there.... Fanboy alerts going off.

1. Carriers are interested in subscribers, they couldn't give a crap about the OEM. The more phones they sell, larger the subs base, more cash they make. Clearly US carriers didn't see fit to align to the BB launch, evidence of BB's lack of sway in the US. Playbooks were taken off shelves pretty sharpish when sales didn't materialize. Has very little to do with the OEM, everything to do with sales. As such BB needs to grow very aggressively. I'm sure they'd be very happy at the number 1 spot :)

2. "An operating system does not a device make". The relevance of this is how?

3. You absolutely cannot dismiss the importance of apps (being the life blood of any platform these days). Apps market is growing not shrinking. HTML5 or no html5, people are still writing native apps, using cross platform generators and so forth. Whether an app is written in objective C or javascript behind the scenes is irrelevant if it's not available for consumption on an app store.

4. Mobile wallets have been out on the iphone/android for a long time with few reports of rampant fraud. They were even out in non NFC form on BB 6 and 7 for a while. There are a variety of NFC and non-NFC based solutions out there in many regions with varying levels of success and popularity. Canada is very behind on that front.
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Developers did not make apps for the PlayBook because it had a small user base. Devs are making apps for BB10 because BlackBerry has an installed user base of 79 million. They would be stupid NOT to develop for that many potential customers/users.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2447 posts
239 upvotes
Brampton
privia wrote: 2012 tech in 2013. say no to BB.

wait until the samsung s4 and the iphone5s is released in a couple of months, BB say goodbye to your sales.
What about the 5s? Apple hasn't done anything worthwhile in a while. Adding colour to their casing isn't a big innovation..
Banned
Jan 2, 2013
115 posts
5 upvotes
remember teh last time bb released a product with inferior tech? like a certain tablet with only 1024x600 resolution screen. how did that turn out? hehehehe

BB10 will be no different.

(and the iphone 5 is still light years ahead of the BB10 in terms of specs)
privia
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6929 posts
3559 upvotes
Caledon
privia wrote: remember teh last time bb released a product with inferior tech? like a certain tablet with only 1024x600 resolution screen. how did that turn out? hehehehe

BB10 will be no different.

(and the iphone 5 is still light years ahead of the BB10 in terms of specs)
which world are you in ? Specs ??? Z10 has 2GB RAM, HDMI Port, NFC, 64GB SD slot, Removable Battery and Plays MKV with AC3, DLNA, wifi file sharing, .. kicks on PPI Screen as well.. .. Dont forget Flash too.. oh .. flash is old .. lets go to HTML5 .. guess who won . yup BB10 again !!! ..

Goodluck lining up for IToy5s for NFC .. what else ..

Do some research before you post something .. see the below videos and get back to reality . stop drinking the koolaids ..

In the past things can be bad for BB, but with BB10 Native Cascades, BB10 became the most easist platform to code for !!! .. truck load of options ..

Remember, with the BB FLOW, anything you do on IToy will take less than 1 or more step to do on Z10, There is no BACK BUTTON, NO Pausing and HOME stuff .. its all keep Moving !!! and Peak..

P.S - For ppl who are following the BB Thread sorry for posting these links again .. i have to act like a Broken Tape Recorder to Educate ppl ..
Nov 24, 2011
259 posts
196 upvotes
Internet
Honestly I love my z10

Like:
- Battery Life/removable battery
- Smooth OS
- Gestures
- Micro SD expansion
- The 'Hub'
- Better signal strength in class
- Screen quality
- Phones design
- Actual multi tasking

Don't Like
- Not many apps
- Had to pull the battery once

I know you can get many of these features in an S3 and I have one however I find that the screen is too large for my taste. I also have an iPhone 4s so I've used the main OS's and can say that I'll be keeping the z10 and at least selling the iPhone.

BTW this is my opinion and you are all free to have one as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2651 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
gilboman wrote: ya, apple is pretty bad that they released such a crap phone. I mean the apps can't even share with other apps info. Everything exists in a silo because ios is ancient and due to existing in a silo, no multitasking.

hope apple gets it together for iphone 5s.. my mom is asking for a smartphone and i need a cheap dumb phone for her and iphone fits the bill but in its current form, can't even do the basic stuff my mom is asking for and the screen is too small and resolution too low,
This guy speaks the truth! But you forgot about the lame proprietary cables, lack of dlna, itunes crap, makes you buy a terrible browser so you can attempt flash sites. But I love the ibbm chat they have though. Since they invented the smart phone era now everyone is copying them.

Yup another me too device ahahaha
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2037 posts
2336 upvotes
toeknee89 wrote: What about the 5s? Apple hasn't done anything worthwhile in a while. Adding colour to their casing isn't a big innovation..
Are you sure? Isn't there an Apple patent for that? :razz:
Jan 27, 2013
434 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
I know what you mean....
Mayoo wrote: i have to act like a Broken Tape Recorder to Educate ppl ..
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
It looks like I still can't play Videos on a BlackBerry.

Interrupt the playback and it goes out of Sync. I got a message and I had to close it and reopen. :(

I'm done.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)