• May 28th, 2006 1:54 pm
Tags:
None
May 12, 2005
672 posts
29 upvotes
Markham
toalan wrote:
I now need to setup a merchant account, who is best? TD Canada trust charges something like $100 setup fee, $40 monthly fee and 40 cents per transaction.

I still feel that I left something out.
Note that a merchant account is different than an INTERNET merchant account. Canadian banks are a big PITA when it comes to internet merchant accounts - the fees are prohibitive esp. for a small startup, also big holdbacks, etc. TD would only deal with VISA, so you'll need another bank to accept MC. To get around all this, use a Canadian third party payment processor like PSIGate or InternetSecure. They're reliable and you get a terminal so you can accept fax/telephone orders as well. Also, US $ is separate. Accepting AMEX is also usually extra....PayPal is probably looking good right now, eh? ;)

You can usually purchase an SSL from your host - they will install for you.

Shipping module from CanadaPost - VERY time consuming - you need to set up all the various size boxes dimensions, weights, etc. so it can calculate it properly. It's probably easier to start off with flat rate, then switch to CanadaPost later when you can get a better idea of what you're shipping out. If you go this route, make sure the shopping cart you use will support CP's module.

Hope this helps some.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7927 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
Built a trial online storefront for class using Websphere and connected to an SQL server. Think I used Verisign as the payment processor back then.Was very easy to build and put pics etc but I hear websphere by [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=262]IBM[/rfdlink] is pretty expensive.

I am not sure but some of the free stuff out there(mentioned above) should work just as well.
May 18, 2006
10 posts
Toronto, Canada
Visit Shopify at http://www.shopify.com. They claim that you don't need any technical knowledge to set up an online store. Shopify is currently in beta. They will soon be open for public.

Best regards,
Thuva
Attention Canadian service professionals. Create and manage a professional website with as many pages as you want for $247. Visit Webability Solutions
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11961 posts
260 upvotes
ecet wrote:get over yourself, this is the internet, if you cant read thats your problem
Get over YOURself. Try cutting and pasting the email address he posted. Or visiting the website. "This is the internet" is a pathetic excuse used by lazy kids and losers - this is a guy trying to DO BUSINESS WITH SOMEONE. It's like CNN advertising www.CN.com as their website. Did you tell your last employers that all the typos on your resume didn't matter "cause its not like my resume will be used on the job...its just my resume".

When you're finished, go google "apostrophe".
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2003
4718 posts
100 upvotes
Oakville
deep wrote:SSL for $14.95 - http://www.ev1servers.net/Dedicated/SSL/RapidSSL.aspx

Rehan recommended this to me a little while ago. He says you can almost always cancel and start again the next year.
Anyone tried these guys out yet? What is the second year price? A big whopping surprise? I tried to call their sales department and was put on hold for a long time and I hung up.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11961 posts
260 upvotes
gmark2000 wrote:Anyone tried these guys out yet? What is the second year price? A big whopping surprise? I tried to call their sales department and was put on hold for a long time and I hung up.
You could PM Rehan - he's used them for a while I believe. He said he never extends into the second year, just cancels his account and starts over with a new promo, which they've always had for as long as he was with them :)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2002
1943 posts
75 upvotes
lindmar wrote:Get some basic cpanel hosting, use free software built into fantastico..

Other than that.. there are so many great web 2.0 style carts coming up and along.

Do a little research and you might be able to do it free.
It's better to download most updated version of the software directly from the project site. Fantastico scripts may not be up-to-date therefore will have security holes.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1358 posts
13 upvotes
Richmond Hill
deep wrote:SSL for $14.95 - http://www.ev1servers.net/Dedicated/SSL/RapidSSL.aspx

Rehan recommended this to me a little while ago. He says you can almost always cancel and start again the next year.
Looks like you can order the Free Trial SSL Certificate and then if you upgrade to RapidSSL, they knock off $5 and give you 2 more months! Not sure if this applies to the already LOW price of $14.95.

Thanks for posting the info :D
Aug 9, 2005
972 posts
6 upvotes
onyxservers.com does this with amazing customer service. Good price too. It's a Richmond Hill company I think.