Wheels and Tires

How to Buy and Install Tires in USA as a Canadian?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2019 4:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13377 posts
2709 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

How to Buy and Install Tires in USA as a Canadian?

So eBay routinely has 15% to 25% off every month or two and I'm thinking of picking up a set of tires from Discount Tire Direct via eBay. @mawzi said for his experience with Tire Rack, he just shipped it to a recommended installer, called them up, and set up the appointment. I assume the same can be done for Discount Tire Direct purchases off eBay as well? Doesn't necessarily have to be a recommended installer right? Or should I just ship it to a US shipping address service like CBI USA?

Also a lot of times there's tire rebates. How do you claim these American rebates as a Canadian? Or do we have to skip them and claim only the Canadian rebate?
17 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11805 posts
5333 upvotes
Toronto
it's not worth the time and effort with today's exchange rate, especially when there are deals to be had here.

Seeing how you're in Toronto, go to Simply Tire and you will likely come out ahead. Plus no possible issues with rebates or warranty down the line
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11572 posts
6394 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Support locally.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10477 posts
2750 upvotes
Markham
Swerny wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:46 am
it's not worth the time and effort with today's exchange rate, especially when there are deals to be had here.

Seeing how you're in Toronto, go to Simply Tire and you will likely come out ahead. Plus no possible issues with rebates or warranty down the line
Right or Tire23 or others depending where you are.

I never bought/install tires across border. People used to do that like a decade ago, but I don't hear much about it anymore.

A lot of local tires shops includes installing and balancing at their price when you buy new tires from them.
Versus if you bought the tires elsewhere and bring it to another garage to mount them up to your car, it cost you another $100 easily depending the size of your wheels.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13377 posts
2709 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Swerny wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:46 am

MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 11:56 am
Right or Tire23 or others depending where you are.

I never bought/install tires across border. People used to do that like a decade ago, but I don't hear much about it anymore.

A lot of local tires shops includes installing and balancing at their price when you buy new tires from them.
Versus if you bought the tires elsewhere and bring it to another garage to mount them up to your car, it cost you another $100 easily depending the size of your wheels.
If I buy the same set of tires in USA, I can save myself at least $100 to $150 after taxes and installation on a set of Falken FK510 for example. I don't care about the warranty since I track them. Thanks for the heads up though :)

So best way is to ship to a tire shop in USA? What about claiming the rebate?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4546 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 12:08 pm
If I buy the same set of tires in USA, I can save myself at least $100 to $150 after taxes and installation on a set of Falken FK510 for example. I don't care about the warranty since I track them. Thanks for the heads up though :)

can you just ship it to those pick up depots? pick them up from there can give it to the tire store yourself.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10477 posts
2750 upvotes
Markham
geokilla wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 12:08 pm

Like any other mail in Rebate, you probably need an US address for it.

Also, if you are throwing out your wore tires and install 4 new tires back to CAN boarder.
Officer may question how come your 4 tires are so spanking new. You may or may not have issue with it.

After the drive all the way to US and spend half day there and possible paying tax for the 4 tires, is it still worth it to save that $100-$150 CAD for all that?
If you are going to US anyway, that can be another story.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5055 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys,

Since I live pretty close to the boarder, I'm thinking of going down to Buffalo to purchase some new all season tires. Pardon my ignorance, as this will only be my second time buying tires, but I wish to buy there since I'm assuming it'll be cheaper than buying in Canada, and I go there often enough to pick up stuff I buy off Amazon.com

If you guys believe this is worthwhile in doing, anything I should know about before making a purchase? Any recommended tire shops I could go to?
I'm thinking if I were to install new ones in the States, I'll throw away my current ones since they probably won't last til end of summer.
Any other thoughts?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2663 posts
2661 upvotes
Vancouver
Will you declare them at the border, and pay your taxes like a good citizen?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3276 posts
2346 upvotes
Ottawa
It was worth it when the dollar was at par or close to par and getting tires from the states saved some serious dough. Now with the low Canadian dollar, I think it's better to get them in Canada with warranty when there are manufacturer rebates.

On one of the recent trips, the customs officer at the gate told me to turn my steering wheel to the right ... and he looked out to check the tires. I had half worn winter tires on so that was no problem at all Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Of course I always declare, don't want to be on their watch list Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5055 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 6:31 pm
Will you declare them at the border, and pay your taxes like a good citizen?
Probably not lol
gumby wrote:
Apr 1st, 2019 8:32 pm
It was worth it when the dollar was at par or close to par and getting tires from the states saved some serious dough. Now with the low Canadian dollar, I think it's better to get them in Canada with warranty when there are manufacturer rebates.

On one of the recent trips, the customs officer at the gate told me to turn my steering wheel to the right ... and he looked out to check the tires. I had half worn winter tires on so that was no problem at all Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes Of course I always declare, don't want to be on their watch list Winking Face
True

and

Damn at inspecting your tires like that Face With Tears Of Joy
May 16, 2007
38 posts
2 upvotes
Last year I bought online from Wal-Mart . com a set of 4 Cooper CS3 Touring 86H Tires size 185/65R14 for $39.00 each, with fees & state ax was total $178.48 plus I got a $50 Visa card as a mfg. rebate so basically I got a set of 4 new tires for $130USD (Local Garage in canada charged $15 per to mount and balance) FYI Walmart Niagara falls USA where I picked them up wanted $20 each to mount and balance & dispose of old tires which I felt was too much. This examplei is for basic econo tires that were on sale and had a rebate as I was not pickky on brand, so not sure if you want some specific brand name / type.

Note: The cooper ones I got were suprisingly good & quite and are doing fine after a year on sons car, but it's just a little Hyundai accent so performance is not key.

As for theboarder, Wife and I stayed over in the US for a night so we were allowed to bring back $200 CND each without tax or duty charges, so we each claimed 2 tires and no boarder issues. Note if we stayed over for 2 nights (48 hours) in the US we could claim $800CND each or $1600 between the two of us and not pay duty or tax - not many tires ar going to cost more than $400 CND each. Or as I'm sure others have said if you pay to get them installed and dispose of your other tires in the US and drive through the mud a bit I'm sure you could attempt to just drive back over same day.

With $ exchange at the time I know I paid 1/2 the price of any economy tires I was quoted at Canadian tire shops which were quoting around $400CND.

So to answer your question it's going to be your preference and depend on the pricing difference including exchange rates, local tax rates etc. .- Basically just do the pricing comparisons and math and also decide if you are OK not having the warranties and extra service you get when you buy and get installed at a local tire shop vs. ordering online in the US (although I guess if the US shop you get from has a warranty you could go back to the US place you bought and had installed for their warranty if you live close).

Have fun shopping!
Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5928 posts
1591 upvotes
BC
stevedask wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 11:16 am

.... , so we each claimed 2 tires and no boarder issues........

.... drive through the mud a bit I'm sure you could attempt to just drive back over same day.
The border guard could have pointed out to you that personal exemptions cannot be combined. So you dodged one there.

If you had obtained 2 separate receipts for two tires each it would have been within the letter of the law if not the spirit.

CBSA staff are smarter than many people assume. They know to look for easy signs of purchases not being declared. Mud on brand new tires won't fool them.