• May 29th, 2023 5:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
For serious mutual fund investors, I would recommend going with Questrade. They have access to most funds including F-Class funds. For a fee of $9.95 per trade, you can buy whatever mutual fund you want. Think of all the money you would save from avoiding that 0.45% to 1.5% worth of trailer fee (annually).
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Uranium101 wrote: Tried buying their funds at RBC DI and got rejected.
For some reason RBC is the only one that doesn't work with them.
Your other option is to buy directly from Mawer but then you need 25k or 50k to buy.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
guyver0 wrote: Good to know that Mawer isn't out to rape ignorant investors, unlike other MF's. I'm tempted to add their Global small cap into my AA when my next batch of money comes through.
I have some money there and i'm very happy with it.
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
223 upvotes
EDMONTON
What is the appeal of these funds vs etfs?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2009
1081 posts
456 upvotes
Just north.
Mawer's funds are all active MF's, they're the cheapest available MF's in Canada.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Jon Lai wrote: Only $50K+, not only out west... what ever gave you that idea?! :facepalm:
Believe it or not, if you bought directly from Mawer, the funds were only available to Western Canada in the 00's (when I was looking at buying their funds).
Oct 10, 2014
176 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tsimpson76 wrote: What is the appeal of these funds vs etfs?
one fund, automatic rebalancing, no trading, no bid spread, cheap management fees, low churning, well managed
Feb 16, 2008
39 posts
16 upvotes
CIBC does not charge any commission on purchase or selling of mutual funds. You only get charged fees from what the mutual fund company charges. CIBC allows you to buy Mawer funds.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
jfroland wrote: one fund, automatic rebalancing, no trading, no bid spread, cheap management fees, low churning, well managed
You forgot to mention that they deliver the best results for years.
May 5, 2010
971 posts
119 upvotes
Mawer is probably the only MF I would ever consider. Their small cap research is solid, unfortunately their Canadian small cap which I like the most, is closed to new investors I believe.
Feb 8, 2010
326 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
guyver0 wrote: With Qtrade, free to buy MF, regular commission ($8.75) to sell.

http://www.mawer.com/mutual-funds/fund-profiles/

Seems the MER goes from 0.9% to 1.82%. Certainly higher than index, but Mawer funds do provide a pretty good track record. Their Global small cap has be on a tear last few years.

Their Balanced fund has MER of 0.96%. It holds 6 other Mawer MF's, so does that mean 0.96% is all-in MER? Or is the 0.96% on top of the MER of the 6 separate MF's withing the Balanced fund?
It is also free to sell if the order is placed online. Qtrade doesn't charge mutual fund commissions when the trade is done online. This is separate from any potential short term trading fees if you don't hold the fund for at least 90 days.
Nov 6, 2014
77 posts
20 upvotes
Yes I looked into it recently. You are correct their CDN small cap is currently closed to new investors. About 5 % of their Balanced fund is CDN small cap fund I believe.
Oct 10, 2014
176 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
flafson wrote: You forgot to mention that they deliver the best results for years.
the well managed links directly to this :-)... i would never use past performance, other than as an indication of how they work .... :cool:
Oct 10, 2014
176 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Savabuck wrote: Yes I looked into it recently. You are correct their CDN small cap is currently closed to new investors. About 5 % of their Balanced fund is CDN small cap fund I believe.
but on the other end, this should be a tribute to their management. once they had reached their limit they closed it, instead of diluting their impact.
Nov 6, 2014
77 posts
20 upvotes
Uranium101 wrote: For serious mutual fund investors, I would recommend going with Questrade. They have access to most funds including F-Class funds. For a fee of $9.95 per trade, you can buy whatever mutual fund you want. Think of all the money you would save from avoiding that 0.45% to 1.5% worth of trailer fee (annually).
Something else to consider is that there's no fee to purchase most mutual funds (including Mawer funds) through TD Direct Investing. As far as I'm aware there's now no transaction fee to sell them either. Of course it's always wise to complete due diligence and make sure there's no deferred sales fee built into the fund. I've taken a quick look at what funds Questrade offers. I wish they'd give a list of all their F series funds that they sell.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Savabuck wrote: Something else to consider is that there's no fee to purchase most mutual funds (including Mawer funds) through TD Direct Investing. As far as I'm aware there's now no transaction fee to sell them either. Of course it's always wise to complete due diligence and make sure there's no deferred sales fee built into the fund. I've taken a quick look at what funds Questrade offers. I wish they'd give a list of all their F series funds that they sell.
You sure there's no fee? I just sold some a couple of weeks and they charged me $34 i think.
Nov 6, 2014
77 posts
20 upvotes
flafson wrote: You sure there's no fee? I just sold some a couple of weeks and they charged me $34 i think.
Yes good news I've spoken with 3 different TDDI reps who confirmed this. No more fees to sell any mutual funds unless there's a built in DSC (which I don't think they sell anyway). They said this just changed early last week. You are right there used to be about $45 transaction fee to redeem Mawer funds by phone and about $30+ online. You may find that some of the reps aren't aware yet. In that case I'd ask them to check with a supervisor.
Nov 6, 2014
77 posts
20 upvotes
Yes I agree. Maybe they can start a New Canada II fund if any new good companies come along.
Nov 6, 2014
77 posts
20 upvotes
dk1021 wrote: The initial is $5k but then you can do monthly/biweekly, etc in smaller amounts afterwards.
Yes that's true. I've set this up this through TD Direct investing by phone. And I set up recurring transfers through Easyweb bill payments screen to get the cash into the brokerage account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)