• Jul 8th, 2017 8:43 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4297 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Mawer killed it again this year's Canadian Investment Awards. Took almost every award....it was kind of funny seeing them go up the podium again and again.
Board games!!!!
Feb 1, 2005
90 posts
24 upvotes
Richmond
Yes, they did very well at the awards. I am sad their Canadian Small Cap fund (New Canada) is closed.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2009
1031 posts
356 upvotes
Just north.
I really like the impressive returns from Mawer's funds, but there is still a nagging feeling that they might not be able to keep pulling this off year after year, beating their respective indices. I'm sticking with my index ETF's, but will add MAW150 to the mix whilst it is still relatively small.

MAW150's MER is high, at 1.9% including trading cost, but it'll be a small portion in my portfolio to explore the small cap premium in the global market.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1901 posts
905 upvotes
Toronto
Made a lump sum purchase using tddi today on the MAW105 for non registered purposes. Not sure if it's worth setting up a SIP just yet.
Nov 24, 2013
223 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Dec 4th, 2014 12:33 pm
Mawer killed it again this year's Canadian Investment Awards. Took almost every award....it was kind of funny seeing them go up the podium again and again.
If Mawer funds are doing so well year after year, why dont all the other banks just make funds that follow Mawer?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4297 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
jankay wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 9:44 pm
If Mawer funds are doing so well year after year, why dont all the other banks just make funds that follow Mawer?
Good question. From what I recall, mutual funds only disclose holdings semi-annually, so basically you never know when they start buying or selling. You will always only take your opportunities on a lag.
Board games!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5548 posts
1412 upvotes
Scarborough
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Dec 4th, 2014 12:33 pm
Where do you see these awards?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4297 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
SkimGuy wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 12:38 am
Where do you see these awards?
I was invited to attend. I used to be a juror (to pick the winners). I know pretty much every portfolio manager in Canada personally.
Board games!!!!
Dec 31, 2011
109 posts
3 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
dumb question:

1) Is there a cost to opening a TDWH account ? I was only putting money in fixed interest growth accounts, but would like to take the money out and invest into a TFSA with TDWH, via an initial investment of the balanced Mawer fund followed by a monthly contributions.

2) does the the mawer fund re-invest the money as distributions into the fund ? [for TD e-series, the money earned gets reinvested even though you don't have earn enough to buy a full unit...whereas for questrade, doing a balanced ETF, the only growth is if the fund price goes up and no distributions are given] hopefully that makes sense

kind thanks for any responses
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2009
1031 posts
356 upvotes
Just north.
Can't say about opening account cost, but the minimum amount you can buy through online brokerage is $5,000. When I bought mine through Qtrade, I can specify whether to re-invest dividend or not.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1901 posts
905 upvotes
Toronto
trollant86 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2014 6:32 pm
dumb question:

1) Is there a cost to opening a TDWH account ? I was only putting money in fixed interest growth accounts, but would like to take the money out and invest into a TFSA with TDWH, via an initial investment of the balanced Mawer fund followed by a monthly contributions.

2) does the the mawer fund re-invest the money as distributions into the fund ? [for TD e-series, the money earned gets reinvested even though you don't have earn enough to buy a full unit...whereas for questrade, doing a balanced ETF, the only growth is if the fund price goes up and no distributions are given] hopefully that makes sense

kind thanks for any responses
1) No costs to open.
2) TDDI gives you an option if you want to re-invest or keep as cash.