Page 11 of 11

Re: How to bypass Google voice country restrictions for free

Posted: Nov 6th, 2012 3:06 pm
by djino
bylo wrote: Ever since Google Voice came out they've offered free NA-wide LD for the following year. And every year in December(*) they keep extending it for another year. I suppose some day they may withdraw their promotion, but I have no idea when that would be. It could be next year or it could be a decade out or it might never happen. In the mean time I'll just keep enjoying their free service. Should the day come that they start to charge for it I'll look at their competitors and make my decision based on the facts available at the time rather than speculation about what or may not happen.

(*) e.g. Free calling in Gmail extended through 2011 and Free calling within the US and Canada through 2012. Wait another month and see what they plan to do in 2013 ;)
+1. Exactly

Posted: Nov 19th, 2012 10:24 pm
by thiefa
djino wrote: 1. Sign up on voip.ms (its free to sign up)
2. Top up a minimum $25 (obviously needed since it this setup will involve a forwarding to your cell phone which cost 1/2 cent/minute.
- Click 'Finances' TAB
- Click 'Add' Funds'
- You can top up by Paypal, visa, mastercard, amex, and discover
3. Pick up your free iNum
- Click 'DID Numbers' TAB
- Click 'Order DIDs'
- Click 'INum'
4. Create a forwarding to your Cell phone rule
- Click 'Call Forwarding'
- Click 'Add Forwarding' Button
- Under 'Phone Number' enter your WIND Cell (or whatever number you want your Google Voice calls forwarded too.
- Enter a Description
- Click 'Save'
5. Place Forwarding on your iNum DID
- Click 'Manage DIDs'
- Check mark 'INum' and click 'Edit Selection' Button
- Under 'Routing' select 'Call Forwarding' and select your description from the drop down box
- Click 'Apply'
6. Create Your Free IPKall Account
- Go to http://phone.ipkall.com/
- Under 'Area Code for your IPKall Number:' select any area code for the Washington area
- Under 'SIP URI:' put in your iNUm # from voip.ms in the first box. and 'inum.net' in the second box
- After inputting your email and creating a password, click 'submit' button
- Make note of the Washington phone number you receive
7. Add the Washington number to your Google Voice account
- Go to www.google.com/voice
- Login or create a new account (if creating a new account, you may need hotspotshield temporarily to mask your canadian ip while you setup your google voice account)
- Settings -> Add a Phone
- Enter your 'Washington' Phone Number'
- Verify it by clicking connect (Google Voice will call you and ask you to enter the 2 digit code on your screen)
So I'm getting an email from Google saying to verify my number, which of course apparently keeps getting an error. And I just read your instructions

I'm afraid that if I top $25 and it doesn't work in the end, that I can't get a refund T_T
What do you guys think? Should I give it a try anyway?

Posted: Nov 20th, 2012 7:27 am
by djino
thiefa wrote: So I'm getting an email from Google saying to verify my number, which of course apparently keeps getting an error. And I just read your instructions

I'm afraid that if I top $25 and it doesn't work in the end, that I can't get a refund T_T
What do you guys think? Should I give it a try anyway?
Hold off on this. Some things have recently occurred that make me believe Google Voice will soon be coming to Canada. Currently right now, those who have an Android phone and install the Google Voice app, are able to get it to verify their Canadian Cell phone number. Though some access numbers to Google Voice are still not fully set up.

As for now, if you do not already have money in your voip.ms account, just hold off on that set up.

djino

Posted: Nov 20th, 2012 9:49 pm
by thiefa
djino wrote: Hold off on this. Some things have recently occurred that make me believe Google Voice will soon be coming to Canada. Currently right now, those who have an Android phone and install the Google Voice app, are able to get it to verify their Canadian Cell phone number. Though some access numbers to Google Voice are still not fully set up.

As for now, if you do not already have money in your voip.ms account, just hold off on that set up.

djino
Thanks. Ya I just heard about the recent good news too.

And mobilesyrup just posted this: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/20/googl ... an-launch/

Makes me soo happy!! =D

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 2:13 pm
by djino
thiefa wrote: Thanks. Ya I just heard about the recent good news too.

And mobilesyrup just posted this: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/20/googl ... an-launch/

Makes me soo happy!! =D
Yeah. Its working for most people in the Montreal, GTA, and Vancouver areas . Here in Ottawa, I have verified my Cell phone with Google Voice, but the Access number 613-317-2597 that Google Voice tries to force my phone to call is still not operational.

djino

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 2:44 pm
by Tha DraGun
Whenever I try to add a Canadian number I get this error:

[QUOTE]Country of the forwarding phone does not match your country[/QUOTE]

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 2:48 pm
by djino
Tha DraGun wrote: Whenever I try to add a Canadian number I get this error:
Where are you trying to add your Canadian Number?

For now, the only way to add a Canadian number is to use an Android cell phone with the Google Voice app installed. In the app, you tell it to verify your cell number automatically. This process automatically finds/authenticates your cell number and its/verifies it with Google Voice.

If you are simply trying to add your Canadian number via the Google Voice website, you will not be successful (at least for now). Though I was able to add Canadian Numbers via the website, but it will not let me verify it. So as mentioned, the only way to complete the add/verification process is to use the Google Voice app on an Android cell phone.

djino

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 2:52 pm
by bylo
The MobileSyrup article has been updated, which will help explain some of the problems y'all's are running into:[QUOTE]OK, looks like there are quite a few caveats here.

First, to be able to install the Google Voice app on Android, your account has to have at least one phone with a U.S.-based number. Because I have a T-Mobile SIM registered to my Google account, I was able to force Google to push the GV app to my Rogers phone. Not sure how that works, but it does. If you can’t manage to get it to install, you’ll need to sideload it, which is available by searching for the .APK file on Google.

Second, it looks like only Canadian numbers inside the Android app are allowed to be confirmed. We’ve received reports that iPhone users cannot verify their Canadian numbers, which could mean that Google plans to keep Google Voice for Canadians inside the Android fold. It’s a stretch, but possible.

One of our readers claimed that Google, over the past few weeks, has been allowing some Canadians to purchase a new number on an existing account with a valid Canadian area code. This has since been turned off (and we can’t verify it was ever possible, but we’ll give him the benefit of the doubt) but it may indicate that Google is testing the service officially in our fair land.

It also looks like Google is slowly bringing in Canadian routing numbers, which is why outgoing calls on Android phones were working for some and not others. I was able to successfully make an outgoing local call this morning using GV on my Galaxy S III, and it routed through a 647- number. Yesterday, when I tried to do the same, it gave me the error above.

More information can be found in this (long) HowardForums thread.

Something is happening here, and it’s exciting. Stay tuned for more information.[/QUOTE]
Note that you can't download the Google Voice app using a Canadian carrier, at least not directly. Instead download the Market Unlocker app (using Google Search, not Google Play :evil: ), tell it to tell Google Play that you're in the US, then download the latest version of Google Voice.

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 3:04 pm
by djino
bylo wrote: The MobileSyrup article has been updated, which will help explain some of the problems y'all's are running into:
Note that you can't download the Google Voice app using a Canadian carrier, at least not directly. Instead download the Market Unlocker app (using Google Search, not Google Play :evil: ), tell it to tell Google Play that you're in the US, then download the latest version of Google Voice.
Yup, the Mobile Syrup article is getting its info from this Howard Forums thread of which I have been actively participating in. :)

djino

Posted: Nov 21st, 2012 10:15 pm
by joe2k1
I do not own an Android phone. I thought I would try mucking around with my playbook and the google voice bar's floating around the net. The latest google voice apk will not let me sign in and an older apk does not seem to have the option to add a new cell/home/work number. Very promising news for sure! Thanks for posting here!

Posted: Nov 23rd, 2012 6:44 am
by MzDestinyQoS
i applied too we shall see how it works